diy solar

diy solar

Chasing Decades Another Way || Not Another NiFe post

AlligatorHater

Hello everyone!

I understand time is valuable; what follows immediately below is some background and framing for the central question- please feel free to skip to the bolded section for the elevator pitch version.

~

First time poster here. A quick thanks to members of this community and several others. Beginning my education in this field and stepping back in time these last weeks to posts made over a decade ago has been quite the experience. So many opinions, a few firsthand experiences, guiding voices, misguiding voices, people referring to themselves in the third person- an adventure in every thread! Hell of a ride.

So, I'm a young adult with an interest in what my future might hold, both as a homeowner and hobbyist. I've come to realize over this last while that every energy storage method comes at a price, with often price itself being the burden. However, until I own enough estate and capital to slap together a personal pumped-hydro reservoir... expectations need to be grounded. ;)

I won't name names just yet, but of all the information still collating in my grey mush- I've definitely noticed a common theme of personal preference has immerged. I think it can be mostly succinctly summarized as a bias towards the type of mindset found in the "prepper" or "SHTF" communities. Specifically, the ever-elusive 30yr battery. With that bias declared, I'd like to ask the reader a possibly naive question, one which I have a genuine desire to dispel promptly if it has no merit.

In every debate about X chemistry vs Y- or how A option is antiquated and B is the superior choice- everyone references statistics or performance that I think is for the most part, realistic. People talk in terms of ~50% or more Depth of Discharge. Occasionally less but, still. Yet when I look at datasheets(not always the most truthful I know but, better than me guessing the performance, ignorant as I am at this stage) there's this bothersome trend- the same which arises during talks about the lifetime of a lead-acid configuration compared to its low buy-in, and again for when electrolyte needs to be replaced in certain batteries named after a famous scientist. Over and over this theme of battery lifetime being substantially modulated by its DoD springs up, both from user commentaries on their systems/experiences and the datasheets themselves.

For example, the estimated cycle count of a specific LiFePo4 battery is listed as rocketing up from ~8,000 @ 80% DoD to north of ~14,000 @ 50% DoD.

~

So then: if longevity is the goal- a system I can pass to my children, or one which would be viable for months/years through Ragnarok or whichever XYZ end-of-days scenario you fancy- if all that is the goal... What would be the critical vulnerabilities for very long-term use of an intentionally, drastically, oversized system? One which sees 10% DoD or less?

~

I'll narrow it down to LiFePo4 or NiFe chemistries, because the former I think is quite maintenance free(?) with the benefits of the Lithium family, doesn't wrestle with electrode carbonation issues or electrolyte changes(?) needing only very controlled charging. Then the latter type for antiquities sake.

My caveman brain sees 14,000 Cycles @ 50% DoD, a 20yr projection, and can't help but wonder what 10% would do. I imagine it's not quite so linear but. Regarding numbers, I've tallied the initial pricing considering what ranges of daily consumption I might expect across a variety of future homes, and have a grasp on the cost of such a massive generating capacity necessary for such a system. Heck if all this head bashing learning software engineering doesn't land me a gig somewhere in Silicon Valley that could reasonably fund this thing one day, then I guess I'm going about it all wrong anyways! ?

But such is my fundamental query at present- whether there exists some inherent inability for certain(any) chemistries to simply last decade after decade, regardless how minimal the depth of discharge per bank/unit/cell is made to be. I prefer to buy once and cry once, and though technology is changing every day, I think some years of saving up / planning to save now while I'm young is somewhat feasible, if the methodology is. Heck, looking at NiFe and its black sheep existence, I'm up for sourcing distilled water every decade if that's all it takes over many decades @ miniscule discharge depths. As well, I aware that self-discharge limits the existence of a perpetual energy vault. Hell, the panels and intermittent equipment could very well fail during that time too. But it would be comforting to know that with enough saving and intent, a generational power supply could be possible.

~

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading! I apologize for any scruples, quirks, and time-wasters here. Honestly all the information is still ricocheting around the inside of my skull. Need to take a few days and let it all solidify- but to sleep at night I need to silence the pestering voices in my head demanding whether hope for this alternative exists.

Be safe,
Alligator

Last edited:
Cycle life is all the rage, but computing life by cycle count doesn't see the whole picture. Cells degrade over time even without use, so the life based on cycle count will actually be lower due to calendar degradation. If your math says the cycles should get you 20 years, 16 is probably closer to reality when you factor in calendar aging.

A grossly over-sized battery doesn't make sense for a few reasons:
  1. HOLY SHIT! THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY!
  2. It locks you into a technology for a long time at the aforementioned "HOLY SHIT!" price point.
  3. Cell failures happen regardless of cycle life. They just crap out. Such is the way of the world. If you have a 10+ year old system, and you're trying to replace a component with something comparable, you might not have a lot of good options.

20 years ago, no one was thinking LFP would be the solution it represents today. I expect there will be an significantly better or cheaper technology 20 years from now.

IMHO, it's hard to beat the argument for a ~10 year "right-sized" system designed to sensible parameters that can be easily replaced with the most sensible option 10 years from now.

Cycle life is all the rage, but computing life by cycle count doesn't see the whole picture. Cells degrade over time even without use, so the life based on cycle count will actually be lower due to calendar degradation. If your math says the cycles should get you 20 years, 16 is probably closer to reality when you factor in calendar aging.

A grossly over-sized battery doesn't make sense for a few reasons:
  1. HOLY SHIT! THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY!
  2. It locks you into a technology for a long time at the aforementioned "HOLY SHIT!" price point.
  3. Cell failures happen regardless of cycle life. They just crap out. Such is the way of the world. If you have a 10+ year old system, and you're trying to replace a component with something comparable, you might not have a lot of good options.

20 years ago, no one was thinking LFP would be the solution it represents today. I expect there will be an significantly better or cheaper technology 20 years from now.

IMHO, it's hard to beat the argument for a ~10 year "right-sized" system designed to sensible parameters that can be easily replaced with the most sensible option 10 years from now.
Points 1, 2, and 3 are well received- emphasis on Point 1 hah.

Well, that about sums up the impression I've gotten so far. Drats.

10 years isn't anything to laugh at either, don't get me wrong. No stable chemical set that can break into the multi-decade mark then?

Had hoped, in the worst case, to approach that mark with a wallet-eviscerating setup of NiFe perhaps.

Points 1, 2, and 3 are well received- emphasis on Point 1 hah.

Well, that about sums up the impression I've gotten so far. Drats.

10 years isn't anything to laugh at either, don't get me wrong. No stable chemical set that can break into the multi-decade mark then?

Had wondered if the need for electrolyte swaps might approach that mark with a wallet-eviscerating setup of NiFe perhaps.

NiFe is inefficient with very poor charge retention. It costs you in other ways.

Here's an account of an 8.5 year experience with LFP:

NiFe is inefficient with very poor charge retention. It costs you in other ways.

Here's an account of an 8.5 year experience with LFP:

Right, 1% self-discharge a day was it? And a PITA to charge. Heck though if they could offer up stable performance for decades, instead of just advertising as much... maybe might be an option.

Thanks for the link! Will give it a looksee just now.

There is a member on some of the other forums that is on his 11th year full time off grid with a 48 volt bank and one electrolyte change and they are still performing fine by his accounts. I will be installing two banks myself this spring, a small 12 volt bank for our bunkhouse and either a 24 volt or 48 volt bank for our cabin. They certainly have some drawbacks, and some strengths, and are not for everyone. They will need some interaction with watering and electrolyte replacements. I kind of like simple built to last things, if you have a problem with a NiFe battery you have a chance to keep going by removing the bad cell and an electrolyte change. They are getting difficult to come by, I think the last big dealer has recently stopped selling them because of supply problems.

There is a member on some of the other forums that is on his 11th year full time off grid with a 48 volt bank and one electrolyte change and they are still performing fine by his accounts. I will be installing two banks myself this spring, a small 12 volt bank for our bunkhouse and either a 24 volt or 48 volt bank for our cabin. They certainly have some drawbacks, and some strengths, and are not for everyone. They will need some interaction with watering and electrolyte replacements. I kind of like simple built to last things, if you have a problem with a NiFe battery you have a chance to keep going by removing the bad cell and an electrolyte change. They are getting difficult to come by, I think the last big dealer has recently stopped selling them because of supply problems.
Heyo saggy. Congrats on the new system! I hope it serves you well for decades to come.

Getting a large sampling of experience to form a stable decision can be quite the climb. It's such a minefield around that specific chemistry online I find, no matter the forum. When it all trickles down to the essentials though it's as you say, the KISS method does tend to hold its own something fierce when the unexpected rears its vicious head.

While I've read about when* some users have changed their electrolyte, I've not read too often about what* it is that accelerates/slows the need for that replacement to happen. Would it be Depth of Discharge or is it something that happens at a fixed rate irregardless of use-intensity, what are your thoughts?

The last big dealer you refer to, would that be Iron Edison by chance?

According to the Iron Edison manual. A Nickel Iron battery’s electrical capacity will degragate approximately 1% per year under normal use. This is due to a carbonate buildup in the electrolyte. Due to this degradation, it is recommended to replace the battery’s electrolyte every 10 years +/- to recover this capacity loss. And yes, it is Iron Edison

Back