diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 400W solar panel prices and vendor recommendations between TX and MI

princesse

Hi all,

I am looking for recent price data for 400W solar panels, 72 cells or 144 half-cells, about 1000 mm x 2000 mm (39.37” x 78.74”) format. The size matters due to space constraints. I plan to buy 10.

If you recently bought panels of this size, please respond with manufacturer, model, price per panel before tax, and the vendor name, city, and state. I guess the only way to avoid tax is to buy used, but I hope to buy new, under $200 each before tax.

I am currently near El Paso, TX, travelling to MI in April via Houston TX, turning north on I-55 (LA), to Jackson MS, Nashville TN, then through KY and OH. If there are any solar panel stores along the way that are worth contacting, please post vendor name, city, and state.

Thanks. :)

I'm in a similar boat, located in Austin, TX, but will be needing 4-6 400w+ ~80x40" format panels in the relatively near future! I wonder if there are enough of us that'd be able to work out a group buy.

signaturesolar is in tyler tx I believe.
They're a bit more than an hour north of Tyler, in Sulphur Springs. Definitely the best option I've found, but was wondering if anyone had a more south central retailer with similar inventory. You'd think the I-10 corridor would be rife with solar suppliers, y'know?

They're a bit more than an hour north of Tyler, in Sulphur Springs. Definitely the best option I've found, but was wondering if anyone had a more south central retailer with similar inventory. You'd think the I-10 corridor would be rife with solar suppliers, y'know?
I checked the signature solar website. Their panels seem expensive. Could you elaborate in what way they are "the best option". As you say they are not in my travel path, but I'm curious. Thanks.

Yes we are located in Sulphur Springs. Our price per watt on panels (new or pre-owned) are some of the lowest as we do wholesale pricing and have very little overhead for panels. Several that are similar to that form factor. Let me know if you would like to talk. Thanks!

Under $200 for new? Good luck. Check out CED Greentech, south side of Columbus OH. REC's all the way down to the "Allegiant Air" models available. Ask for Alex.

Price per watt is the metric you need to look for. Your best bet is Signature in Sulphur Springs. The panels weigh 60-70 lbs each. 10 panels plus packaging will weigh 750lbs. Not a tremendous amount of weight, but enough to noticeably cut your fuel mileage. You don't want to haul them back from the other side of the country. We purchased the 460 watt blue sun panels from signature last month and they work great.

Reactions: GLC
Price per watt is the metric you need to look for. Your best bet is Signature in Sulphur Springs. The panels weigh 60-70 lbs each. 10 panels plus packaging will weigh 750lbs. Not a tremendous amount of weight, but enough to noticeably cut your fuel mileage. You don't want to haul them back from the other side of the country. We purchased the 460 watt blue sun panels from signature last month and they work great.

$0.478 / watt is good? It seems a lot higher than a while ago

Jinko solar modules, 405 watt, 79"x 39.5" wide CED Greentech has them I paid $203 each. early April (but that could be a trade price only)

There is a place in TN. Damn if I can find the link now though. Too far for me, but right on your path. $0.50 seems to be the going rate right now at least for new. Used I have seen as low as $0.28. I have been struggling with making a decision myself (fortunately I don't have a roof yet). I see a lot in AZ at good prices (new and used). Not too far from El Paso maybe.

Jinko solar modules, 405 watt, 79"x 39.5" wide CED Greentech has them I paid $203 each. early April (but that could be a trade price only)
Sweet, missed these guys while looking for stock in ATX. I'll let y'all know if they'll deal directly to consumers in small quantities.

Yep, sorry for the late response. Picked up six APTOS DNA-120-MF10-440 panels for $297/ea in late July. [Edit: this was from the Austin CED Greentech location!] They're low VOC and a nice size for my rig. Still haven't gotten them up, but getting there! Been a slow [and busy] couple of months!

Last edited:
I agree with Sotek on Signature Solar being a good option. It seems like the prices have creeped up some since I bought 20 of the 445w panels from them earlier this year, but they are very competitive and good folks to deal with.

Back