diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest way to just feed 10k solar to grid?

justinm001

Solar Addict
Newbie to the house side of things and sitting on these 10k of solar panels so might as well tie into grid. My homes electricity co-op has net metering and I don't care about power loss as its super stable and i have an RV and other homes. Energy usage is on average 2500kWh and bill total is about $300 so i'd like to hit close to that number.

Is there any point in having batteries or an output if I just want to pump electricity to the grid?
Whats the best inverter/charge controller for my needs? There seems to be a huge price difference for what appears to be identical models. Also I'm a victron guy and they don't do US grid stuff apparently.
Looks like the electric company has to come out and do something when I install, any idea on what they do or anything I need to worry about?

On top of this my RV sits in my driveway with 3k of solar and my trailer might have 1k-2k of panels. Any ideas how to connect this? The RV goes through Victron Quattro and has a 30amp shore so maybe send it through? The trailer will have some plug to connect to the RV when we use it but when at home would like some way to use the solar.

Add those panels to your offgrid setup. Utility will probably want your solar to be permitted and up to code before they install bidirectional meter for grid tie.

Add those panels to your offgrid setup. Utility will probably want your solar to be permitted and up to code before they install bidirectional meter for grid tie.
Offgrid is for my RV and the roof will be full. I'll even be adding to a trailer we rarely use just so we have tons of solar when on the road. What does permitting and code entail?

> Is there any point in having batteries or an output if I just want to pump electricity to the grid?

No.

> Whats the best inverter/charge controller for my needs?

Cheapest Grid connected inverter that can handle the power from the panels. If you have particular models in mind, post what you are looking at. Also post info on what panels you have and how many. How you plan to mount the panels would also be helpful (all on one roof, or different roof sections, shading, etc.)

> Looks like the electric company has to come out and do something when I install, any idea on what they do or anything I need to worry about?

Install a bi-directional meter so they can measure the power each way, or net the amount. Many meters will record the power regardless of direction (it assumes you only consume power).

What does permitting and code entail?
Roughly: creating mechanical drawing of solar mount and getting it stamped by engineer. Creating electrical drawings and getting them approved by city permit dept. Using remote safety disconnects on each panel unless you opt for micro inverters or optimizers with RSD function. UL approved grid-tie inverter and solar panels. Doing everything by code which adds costs (conduit, disconnects, etc). Hiding all your other unpermitted not up to code electrical work from city inspector. Much cheaper to just go with offgrid setup and don't tell anyone.

solark 12k seems to be popular. I'm still looking at all those and also what size I want. I live in the woods so trees all around my house so not sure how many watts I can effectively put.

I live outside city limits so I'm assuming it just needs to be up to code and save not need to look pretty.

Its highly dependent on the utility, some are "solar friendly" some are not. In rural areas they may decline to allow export to the grid if the local supply system is not up to the task. In some cases in order to export, the homeowner may need to pay for the upgrade. They may also require the install be done and signed off by an electrician.

They're the Renogy 320w I have 32 of them but unsure how many are going on the house and if I'm going to replace the 100w ones on my RV with some of these.

My property looks like this so I'd think having 4 inverters would be best but at least 2 and put the panels as high as possible on the roof facing east/west.

I have a couple other properties in WV that would be much better as they use a lot more energy but seems like a bad idea to install solar in the heart of coal country.

Maximum Power at STC: 320W
Cell Efficiency: 21%
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 33V
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 40.3V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 9.70A
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 10.23A
1686874169812.png

1686874071304.png
M

diy solar

diy solar
Back