diy solar

diy solar

Check out these LTO cells/batteries plz, need input

Tdorsey

I am going to soon be setting up my bus build and I'm doing the research n just found

I'd like to know if these are good cells, they also have the LTO batteries on that site and all seem very reasonable in price. Please give me ur honest input - Thank you

I know nothing about these cells, and very little about LTO, but in case you didn't notice, I wanted to point out that these cells are 2.3v you will need 5-6 cells to equal 4 LFP cells in voltage. This is probably pretty basic information if you know more than me about LTO, but it took me a few minutes to realize, so I figured I would mention it just in case.

I am pretty new to all of this, but just off the videos on YouTube and just personal research, I get the concept u mention, I has just seen the video for the LTO batteries on YouTube and saw him mention the outrageous price, so I was wondering if these prices made it a viable option, and if anyone has set up an LTO and how well they work.
Thank you for the response Dzl :)

LTO batteries are great if you are willing to spend a little more. They have a few benefits.
1. cold weather charging down to -50C
2. High charge and discharge rates of 10C
3. Can be drained to empty with no deleterious effects.
4. 30,000 charge cycles.

I have a LTO system and am building all my systems with LTO as I am in a place where cold weather charging is necessary.

The volts are a bit wonky but I can build a 100AH 12 Volt battery for less than battle born but still a bit more than DIY Lifepo4

I am pretty new to all of this, but just off the videos on YouTube and just personal research, I get the concept u mention, I has just seen the video for the LTO batteries on YouTube and saw him mention the outrageous price, so I was wondering if these prices made it a viable option, and if anyone has set up an LTO and how well they work.
Thank you for the response Dzl :)

I am quite curious too. Also curious to know if there are any downsides or unknowns with LTO apart from cost. From the miniscule bit that I know, I get the impression they are comparable to LFP in most ways, better in some ways, but other than price I haven't heard any shortcomings.

The volts are a bit wonky but I can build a 100AH 12 Volt battery for less than battle born but still a bit more than DIY Lifepo4

That's not too bad at all considering the benefits you mentioned. In terms of BMS' is it just a matter of modifying the parameters of the BMS' we use with LFP to work with LTO or do you use products made specifically for LTO? Are there any notable downsides to LTO?

I have found no downside other than a reliable supplier. I use a Chargery BMS but only to check cell values to make sure one doesn't get charged too much. I set a charge profile on my SCC that seems to do a good job of keeping them balanced.

I am working with a vendor to procure 33AH prismatic cells that will make a 1300Wh battery for about $800.00 $0.61/Wh

Battle born is 1200Wh for $950.00 $0.79/Wh

I have found no downside other than a reliable supplier. I use a Chargery BMS but only to check cell values to make sure one doesn't get charged too much. I set a charge profile on my SCC that seems to do a good job of keeping them balanced.

I am working with a vendor to procure 33AH prismatic cells that will make a 1300Wh battery for about $800.00 $0.61/Wh

it will weigh around 50 lbs though vs 38 for BB

Battle born is 1200Wh for $950.00 $0.79/Wh

Did you happen to check that link I posted? I literally found out about LTO tonight and have done very very little research into them, using wills video talking about the knock off LTO he got, the ones on that site seemed great, but I'm not sure how it contends with others. I am going to be traveling all over so what I really want to know is..
Could I built a system with BOTH LTO and LiPh? I know little about all this so I'm not sure if different batteries in one system is malarkey or not

from what I've heard..... lto has around a 85% round trip efficiency vs lipo4 cells around 99% there are 40ah rectangular lto cells as well some say you need 5 cells others say 6 so do some research!

Did you happen to check that link I posted? I literally found out about LTO tonight and have done very very little research into them, using wills video talking about the knock off LTO he got, the ones on that site seemed great, but I'm not sure how it contends with others. I am going to be traveling all over so what I really want to know is..
Could I built a system with BOTH LTO and LiPh? I know little about all this so I'm not sure if different batteries in one system is malarkey or not
Yes I saw the link noted that they were out of stock. But those are great batteries. Price is standard But you can usually get a bit cheaper buying in bulk. I sold quite a few on eBay for 60 US each including shipping within US and 330 for 6 cells. Not sure you can mix lto with other chemistry the charge profile is different

Did you happen to check that link I posted? I literally found out about LTO tonight and have done very very little research into them, using wills video talking about the knock off LTO he got, the ones on that site seemed great, but I'm not sure how it contends with others.

I think the site you linked to is a reputable seller, so I suppose that counts for something

from what I've heard..... lto has around a 85% round trip efficiency vs lipo4 cells around 99% there are 40ah rectangular lto cells as well some say you need 5 cells others say 6 so do some research!
Round trip efficiency may not be the best but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big if deal right now my cells all charge 100% by 11am so I have 2 to 3 hours to spare.

This is all really great stuff I really appreciate all this info! Should be very helpful and I'm excited to check out this new LTO potential :)

I really want to try LTO cells (5) with no bms to see if I can use the pack as a starter battery for my Jeep.... I'm too chicken so far lol

Not sure you can mix lto with other chemistry the charge profile is different

Ya I'm assuming u can't as I haven't seen anyone else in my research who has with lifepo4 and lead acid, n I gotta imagine some people would to help cut costs(I know I've thought about it). It's always "I have a lithium OR acid battery setup" never hybrids. Hmm, well since I'm not sure I guess I should do some research on it, in the meantime if anyone knows this answer would you please share with me?

I really want to try LTO cells (5) with no bms to see if I can use the pack as a starter battery for my Jeep.... I'm too chicken so far lol
I can try on my f150 if you wish and report back. I think it will with no problem. I do think 6 will be better though for charging. That is what the car stereo people use.

diy solar

diy solar
Back