diy solar

diy solar

Check scc with power supply possible

scott harris

I have a victron 15/75 scc connected to my 24v battery and two renogy 175 flexible panels connected in series. The victron powers up due to the battery power but does not charge the battery even though the panels are unobstructed and it is a nice sunny day.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the panels or the victron. My question is: can I replace the panels with a dc power supply to test whether the victron will turn on at 29 volts ?

Panel specs

Vmp 19.5 volts
Voc 23.9 volts
Imp 8.98 amps
Isc 9.5 amps

I have a victron 15/75 scc connected to my 24v battery and two renogy 175 flexible panels connected in series. The victron powers up due to the battery power but does not charge the battery even though the panels are unobstructed and it is a nice sunny day.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the panels or the victron. My question is: can I replace the panels with a dc power supply to test whether the victron will turn on at 29 volts ?

Panel specs

Vmp 19.5 volts
Voc 23.9 volts
Imp 8.98 amps
Isc 9.5 amps
If your battery is full, your SCC won't charge it. You could try and put some load on the system and observe if the charger starts charging the battery.

Another thing you can do is to check if your SCC is enabled in the VictronConnect app battery settings.

Thanks,
The battery is 80% full so there is room to charge. And the SCC is enabled.

I think the problem must be with the panels or the SCC. I am just trying to determine which.

Is connecting a dc power supply to the SCC a good test, or will it be a problem?

One thing that could also be the culprit is the polarity. Check if the array main cables polarity matches the ones that go into the SCC PV input.

When you look in the VictronConnect app, what is the battery and solar voltage? Also, Absorption and float settings?

Last edited:
What voltage do you read with your DMM for your series connected panels?

When you look in the VictronConnect app, what is the battery and solar voltage? Also, Absorption and float settings?
Pi, thanks so much for your help

Battery 26.33
Solar 0, always 0 even at noon
Absorption. 28.8
Float. 27.6
What voltage do you read with your DMM for your series connected panels?
Mattb4

I am getting 45.6 volts at 6pm. Would have been higher I guess at noon

Ok, OK mega mea culpa. I did have the SCC connected backwards. I checked at the panel but at the SCC which i had wrong. Everything works now

I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time. But I thought I would post some pictures of my project as it may make you smile.

20240318_180701.jpg20240318_180724.jpg20240318_180743.jpg20240318_181127.jpg

Yes I have done it with this very controller. ( I have answered this in case someone runs a search.)
Panel specs

Vmp 19.5 volts
Voc 23.9 volts
Imp 8.98 amps
Isc 9.5 amps

Back