diy solar

diy solar

Chins Experience

amham

I purchased 2 Chins 100Ah cells in September of 2022 via Amazon at $379 ea.. They charged/discharged over their rated capacity (lab grade electronic load) and I was pleased. Recently I began to read various reviews that the construction was pouch/soft cells rather than the prismatic I was led to believe (marketing or reviews, not certain). I queried Chins with the serial numbers and they immediately replied they were "soft cells" or pouch. I responded that I felt misled given various reviews/tare downs on YT including Will's. Chins, once again, responded immediately (over night) and offered to accept a return and replace with current build prismatic cells. I received a POST PAID UPS return via email the next day. One cannot ask for better service than this. I am awaiting receipt of the replacements and will report back. I will inspect/test hoping they are not seconds or returns but fully new construction. The debate of prismatic versus pouch is an open question. However, manufacturers generally do not make significant changes out of largesse/charity...it is to lower costs, particularly as the retail price continues to plummet. I see the same battery on Walmart now for $267. There is only one way they can lower by $100 a unit and that is not by increasing quality!

There is only one way they can lower by $100 a unit and that is not by increasing quality!
Well if you consider the reported ‘container price’ of cells and BMS’s, there also was(is?) plenty of room for reduced margins to not screed out ample profit. So there may be no significant changes quality-wise, either.

But with chinese-sourced tech products you never know when or why they crap-out their build or component quality. One might even suspect a bait’n’switch scheme sometimes.

The current falling prices of finished lithium batteries and component cells at retail in the US also suggests that prices of finished batteries could also go down based on semi-finished component assemblies costing less, or to simply turn price-point products. Where ‘competitive’ offerings are 20%+ less money at retail than previously an assembler or importer may want to lower their retails to maintain market share.

I purchased 2 Chins 100Ah cells in September of 2022 via Amazon at $379 ea.. They charged/discharged over their rated capacity (lab grade electronic load) and I was pleased. Recently I began to read various reviews that the construction was pouch/soft cells rather than the prismatic I was led to believe (marketing or reviews, not certain). I queried Chins with the serial numbers and they immediately replied they were "soft cells" or pouch. I responded that I felt misled given various reviews/tare downs on YT including Will's. Chins, once again, responded immediately (over night) and offered to accept a return and replace with current build prismatic cells. I received a POST PAID UPS return via email the next day. One cannot ask for better service than this. I am awaiting receipt of the replacements and will report back. I will inspect/test hoping they are not seconds or returns but fully new construction. The debate of prismatic versus pouch is an open question. However, manufacturers generally do not make significant changes out of largesse/charity...it is to lower costs, particularly as the retail price continues to plummet. I see the same battery on Walmart now for $267. There is only one way they can lower by $100 a unit and that is not by increasing quality!
Im very impressed they did that.

Renogy smart 100a/h battery is pouch cells and after 3 years they are working well and at 100% capacity also. More manufacturers are also using pouch cells. Nothing wrong with them.

diy solar

diy solar
Back