diy solar

diy solar

Choosing buck converter and panel connection

thelidoflife

Hello! I'm trying to figure out the best equipment and solar connection I need for my set up. I'm working on an art exhibition where the load is powered directly by panels in real time, without a battery.
I've tested one panel 120W, 6.67A, 18V and in bright sunlight it's just about enough to power one of my loads 20W, using a buck converter 48V to 12V 10A.
Now I'm increasing my load and panels for the final installation, do I need a buck converter that handles the maximum watts of a panel even if the load is a lot less or should I consider the load more in this setup? Do I go for something in between?

For example, 4 solar panels in parallel 480W, 26.6A, 18V, but the load is only 80W, 12V, 6.66A - this is a big difference in converter selection, also most buck converters are limited to 10A input
same example in series: 480W, 72V, 6.66A max panels with 80W, 12V, 6.66A load

The work will be up for a few weeks so I want to make sure it's safe, any advice would be super helpful.

Thank you!
Lid

I generally just keep ebaying til I find one that meets my needs.

If concerned about 10A input, why not try connecting your 4 panels in series and find a buck that accepts 60-80v input

Hello, thanks for your reply! I found a DC converter that's 72V, 600W which seems a bit excessive for 80W load?
I'm not sure the buck converter would even work without enough power. My question is, do I consider the maximum watt the panels could produce when selecting the converter?

Back