diy solar

diy solar

Choosing inverter size for RV

HngrFatz

On a 400 ah battery bank in a 30 amp RV would you choose the 2000 or 3000 watt Victron multi plus? I’m leaning towards the 2000 for the smaller size but I’m a little worried I might regret it if I decide to go to a bigger system in the future.

My plan is to install 4 100ah SOKs with an inverter/charger with a 3000-3500 watt inverter generator as my main power source. Later I intend to install solar on the roof and add the appropriate sized solar charge controller. We have 1 - 13.5k btu AC which we will power through the generator when necessary. The big power items I would like to power through the inverter are a microwave, hair dryer, coffee pot, and air fryer. Obviously these items will be used separately and intermittently as needed. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions for my situation?

I went 3000w (MPP Solar 3048LV) but would find 5000 or 6000w better. I have a mini-split (can spike to 1000w), instant hot water (spikes to 750w now and then), and when we cook the toaster (700w), k-cup (900w), hot-plate (800w), and microwave (1000w) cause short but high watt demands - so we have to manage things very closely - e.g. turn off the mini-split when cooking and only run 2 things at a time kind of thing.

Bottom line, if you have room and $ and large enough batteries/wire for spikes and a spike-load profile like mine - higher watts can be useful for short bursts but that doesn't mean you have to run at a high level all the time :)

On a 400 ah battery bank in a 30 amp RV would you choose the 2000 or 3000 watt Victron multi plus?
Victron specs are in volt amps.
2000 va ~= 1600 watts
3000 va ~= 2400 watts

I’m leaning towards the 2000 for the smaller size but I’m a little worried I might regret it if I decide to go to a bigger system in the future.

My plan is to install 4 100ah SOKs with an inverter/charger with a 3000-3500 watt inverter generator as my main power source.
Are you planning for a 12 volt or 24 volt system?

On a 400 ah battery bank in a 30 amp RV would you choose the 2000 or 3000 watt Victron multi plus? I’m leaning towards the 2000 for the smaller size but I’m a little worried I might regret it if I decide to go to a bigger system in the future.

My plan is to install 4 100ah SOKs with an inverter/charger with a 3000-3500 watt inverter generator as my main power source. Later I intend to install solar on the roof and add the appropriate sized solar charge controller. We have 1 - 13.5k btu AC which we will power through the generator when necessary. The big power items I would like to power through the inverter are a microwave, hair dryer, coffee pot, and air fryer. Obviously these items will be used separately and intermittently as needed. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions for my situation?
You will need to consider how many watts are being pulled for just the inverter. Different brands and models may pull from 5 watts to 80 watts at idle.

You will need to consider how many watts are being pulled for just the inverter. Different brands and models may pull from 5 watts to 80 watts at idle.
Also a larger size inverter should have a larger radiator which could help to prevent the inverter fan to run.

It might be more efficient to have a larger inverter used only for your fridge, or other larger appliances,
and going in a sleep mode automatically when there is no load running.

And have another smaller inverter, with lesser iddle consuption, to be used to get some lights, or to power a laptop, or other smaller appliances.

Last edited:
2000 va ~= 1600 watts
3000 va ~= 2400 watts

Are you planning for a 12 volt or 24 volt system?
I realized that after I posted but thanks for pointing it out. I considered 24v but I don’t know that it’s really necessary for my situation. Seeing as this is my first system I think 12v just gives me one less thing to screw up.

I had a 2000w and when I switched to Li I replaced it with a 3000w. Mostly to get a direct connection inverter but the extra watts are helpful too. This is on a 50A fifth wheel. I pulled over 2000w a few times last winter

Edit: I'm on 12v. If I was wanting to consistently run up near the 3000w I'd have gone 24v

2000 va ~= 1600 watts
3000 va ~= 2400 watts
Given these specs I would go 3000va

To me the biggest benefit of the Multiplus is combining power with a limited source so I would be looking at a generator that is more portable such as Honda 2200. Can get an extended run fuel tank if the A/C is needed for extended periods.

I have been running just a straight inverter (2000w) and have not run a generator since I added solar. Existing charging works fine if plugged in to use A/C. I stayed with 12v for simplicity. Just saying it is easy to get carried away with far more than needed.

You really need to do an energy audit. The big question is how many watts does your Microwave use and do you plan on running the A/C off the batteries. From my personal experience of having a 1500W Microwave and a 1500W Inverter(That will output 1800W for 3 min). I wish I would have went with a little bigger inverter because of inverter efficiency. I'd go with the 3000va~-2400 watt inverter if I was given the choice of a do over. But then I would have needed much larger wires with a 12V system so I'm afraid that once you go that big, you do really need to consider jumping to a higher voltage battery bank because of cable sizing. Once you jump to a higher voltage, then you really need to consider your leveling gear and if the buck converter can handle the Amp surge. A lot of them can not and then this requires a separate lead acid battery to have to maintain just for the landing gear. It's honestly a lot to think about. I kept my system at 12V (1/0 Awg wire) for the simplicity and just use my generator for microwave use for extended durations and am overall happy. The money saved went toward extra solar panels so there is that to consider as well. I boon dock at my lake property for 5 months of the year and have minimal generator use so I feel like I'm right at that sweet spot and I'm content with what I have. But again, I still wish I went a little bigger on the inverter because of the Microwave. Your situation will vary from mine so an energy audit is recommended.

I have a 30 amp RV trailer and went with the Victron Multiplus 12/3000. The lower spec model might not be enough to run the microwave when there are other minor loads on the system. With the 3000 I had extra headroom.

Microwave, hair dryer and air fryer. Go big.

I ordered my additional batteries and multi plus 3000va from current connected today. I spoke with Dexter on the phone and he was extremely helpful and friendly.

Back