diy solar

diy solar

Class T vs ANL fuse

How are you measuring that?
Also 7 watts self heating at full load 2000w inverter.
Not sure of that is significant.
I was trained to touch everything during inspections.
I know some fuses get hot, lots of things get hot, but unless things are surprising me with heat I generally don't worry about it.
I cant quantify surprise in deg C or F

Now I watch the young electricians do inspections they do nit touch stuff.
They have been trained to be wary of arc flash and contact with live equipment.
I am also trained in the same safety systems but I turn stuff off and lock it out before I touch it

The 1035+ meter is a 4 wire micro-ohm meter. This takes the the resistance of the leads out of the mix so you can measure tiny ohms. The type of meter also allows it to accuratly measure micro-ohms while power is applied. Ordinary ohm meter applies a known dc voltage across the resistor and uses a voltage divider network to figure it out. This sort of meter uses a 1khz sine wave ac voltage to do similar so it can also measure the internal impedance of the LiTime 200ah plus battery at 2 milli-ohms.

In a couple of weekends I plan to run some temp tests while running 150amps. The point of this is to see how the fuse resistance changes with heat. Typically this increases as it gets hotter.

I plan to also use it to test the various cables I've made since I started to see if I have any bad crimps. Then for fun I'll test connections with and without no-ox-id special and the ideal brand NoAlox and see if there is any difference. And I just thought about testing a connection at different torque specs.

Yes I just got the meter yesterday and like any kid with a new toy I need to play with it. And in the process I can verify or disprove some of the things I have read on here.

Last edited:
The 1035+ meter is a 4 wire micro-ohm meter. This takes the the resistance of the leads out of the mix so you can measure tiny ohms. The type of meter also allows it to accuratly measure micro-ohms while power is applied. Ordinary ohm meter applies a known dc voltage across the resistor and uses a voltage divider network to figure it out. This sort of meter uses a 1khz sine wave ac voltage to do similar so it can also measure the internal impedance of the LiTime 200ah plus battery at 2 milli-ohms.

In a couple of weekends I plan to run some temp tests while running 150amps. The point of this is to see how the fuse resistance changes with heat. Typically this increases as it gets hotter.

I plan to also use it to test the various cables I've made since I started to see if I have any bad crimps. Then for fun I'll test connections with and without no-ox-id special and the ideal brand NoAlox and see if there is any difference. And I just thought about testing a connection at different torque specs.

Yes I just got the meter yesterday and like any kid with a new toy I need to play with it. And in the process I can verifyor disprove some of the things I have read on here.
Fancy stuff
I had.... Past tense an old timey resistance bridge for doing leads wingdings and connections.

I don't recall the resolution on the meter but it needed calibration from time to time and this was never done in a timely manner so when people tell me resistance figures as low as you I ask what your using ( sound like the right tool )

Really the best crimp your going to get is with a tool like this if you can borrow one.
They are consistent and reliable crimps that inspectors like to see because of the dye marking indicating the proper crimp was done
1714485799857.jpeg
I see pin crimpers like this for sale very cheap at places like Princess Auto.
They work, but Inspectors don't like them because you can't be sure of the quality of the crimp done.
You can get a feel for it and I believe I can make a good quality connection with it but the inspectors feel different, you may feel different but I don't recommend anyone who is not very comfortable with this type of tool use one
1714485998001.jpeg
This is a DMR-2 hand crimper and I have an earlier version of it I keep but really don't use.
It does have dyes and it does leave a number impression to indicate it has been crimped to a specification but my experience has been very hit and miss with these small hand crimpers.
I have seen connections pull apart that tells me they are not that good.
By pull parts I am talking about a portable power cable( giant extension cords 2/0 or smaller this tool only crimps up to #2 however )
If it pulls apart its probably not a good cold weld...
1714486675241.jpeg

On small portable power cables that really matter to me I have been known to crimp and solder the connection before I tape ( talking splices now )

Joint compound.
I use this stuff on copper too copper connections where required.
If I have old unplated copper bus I will clean the bus with a scotchbright and use this stuff.
if its plated copper on plated copper connection I am told I don't need to use this as long as the plating is clean and bright
Sometimes I use it anyways.
I like to use it on bond connections ( for example a stainless encloser and copper mechanical or compression lug )

Does it make make for cooler running connections?
Its is suposed to...
1714486593533.jpeg
Where ever you have two metals that are dissimilar bolted together you have a situation where they will try and alloy together and corrode in a way to make a buffer material between the two metals that the two different metals are more comfortable with.
In aluminum copper connections this is much worse.
The copper alloys to aluminum and forms oxides that scale up in between the connections and this pushes and slides and moves scaly white high resistance crude between the copper and aluminum.
This creates a high resistance a joint that will get hot and fail.

Any joint thats heating and cooling will fail eventually is it can start the process of corrosion
I have seen aluminum mechanical lugs turn to dust between an stainless electrical box and a copper bond cable

I have not done a lot of solar ( really nothing at all )
But I have fixed things for people at cottages and such.
I am seeing a lot of cable failures to corrosion.
I see a lot of aluminum lugs on stainless with copper wire and everything is rated and designed to be OK for that, but its still failing.
Where you can I think you are better off to try and stick with copper period.
That means copper wire, copper mechanical or compression lugs copper ( red brass ) bolts .
Where I have used obly this kind of hardware I have not had to come back and fix them again ( for good measure I use that Pentrox, and I suspect that you could just use copper anti sieze instead but you are not suposed to do that )

Fancy stuff
I had.... Past tense an old timey resistance bridge for doing leads wingdings and connections.

I don't recall the resolution on the meter but it needed calibration from time to time and this was never done in a timely manner so when people tell me resistance figures as low as you I ask what your using ( sound like the right tool )

Really the best crimp your going to get is with a tool like this if you can borrow one.
They are consistent and reliable crimps that inspectors like to see because of the dye marking indicating the proper crimp was done
View attachment 212429
I see pin crimpers like this for sale very cheap at places like Princess Auto.
They work, but Inspectors don't like them because you can't be sure of the quality of the crimp done.
You can get a feel for it and I believe I can make a good quality connection with it but the inspectors feel different, you may feel different but I don't recommend anyone who is not very comfortable with this type of tool use one
View attachment 212430
This is a DMR-2 hand crimper and I have an earlier version of it I keep but really don't use.
It does have dyes and it does leave a number impression to indicate it has been crimped to a specification but my experience has been very hit and miss with these small hand crimpers.
I have seen connections pull apart that tells me they are not that good.
By pull parts I am talking about a portable power cable( giant extension cords 2/0 or smaller this tool only crimps up to #2 however )
If it pulls apart its probably not a good cold weld...
View attachment 212435

On small portable power cables that really matter to me I have been known to crimp and solder the connection before I tape ( talking splices now )

Joint compound.
I use this stuff on copper too copper connections where required.
If I have old unplated copper bus I will clean the bus with a scotchbright and use this stuff.
if its plated copper on plated copper connection I am told I don't need to use this as long as the plating is clean and bright
Sometimes I use it anyways.
I like to use it on bond connections ( for example a stainless encloser and copper mechanical or compression lug )

Does it make make for cooler running connections?
Its is suposed to...
View attachment 212432
Where ever you have two metals that are dissimilar bolted together you have a situation where they will try and alloy together and corrode in a way to make a buffer material between the two metals that the two different metals are more comfortable with.
In aluminum copper connections this is much worse.
The copper alloys to aluminum and forms oxides that scale up in between the connections and this pushes and slides and moves scaly white high resistance crude between the copper and aluminum.
This creates a high resistance a joint that will get hot and fail.

Any joint thats heating and cooling will fail eventually is it can start the process of corrosion
I have seen aluminum mechanical lugs turn to dust between an stainless electrical box and a copper bond cable

I have not done a lot of solar ( really nothing at all )
But I have fixed things for people at cottages and such.
I am seeing a lot of cable failures to corrosion.
I see a lot of aluminum lugs on stainless with copper wire and everything is rated and designed to be OK for that, but its still failing.
Where you can I think you are better off to try and stick with copper period.
That means copper wire, copper mechanical or compression lugs copper ( red brass ) bolts .
Where I have used obly this kind of hardware I have not had to come back and fix them again ( for good measure I use that Pentrox, and I suspect that you could just use copper anti sieze instead but you are not suposed to do that )

The meter is factory calibrated which means it should be good for at least a year. But you bring up a good point, I think I'll make some cable lengths and lugs so in a year I can check some "known" resistance values and see if I am still reading the same.

I worked in a calibration lab when I was in the Navy 35 years ago. We did test equipment like this meter and physical/mechanical things like torque wrenches and pressure gauges.

I am pretty sure there is a calibration lab in Golden that I can take it to if I ever need a valid reading for some reason. I expect "close enough" is all I will ever want.

Most digital meters like this never changed value or needed tweaking unless it was abused, like dropped in a drum of used hydraulic fluid and left for a week until it was emptied. Or run over by a tow tractor and slighty crushed.... or dropped off the wing of a F-18 and the pieces put in a ziplock to return. Little things.

And the vast majority of digital hand held meters had one thing to tweak inside. Like the Fluke 77/AN meter. For that you could pretty much self calibrate by hooking to a new 9v battery and tweaking to be exactly that.

For doing crimps I use this - so I am pretty sure all my lugs are good. The only questionable ones are using the cheap chinese crap lugs that I had to use half sizes to make it squish all the way.

Fluke 77/AN meter.
I use one.
They are consistent.
As former navy you get it.
PMs Written decades ago for a specific meter and that meter was a fluke 77 and no one wants to change the procedure because it was written for people that knew nothing about the process just how to tick boxes..

My favourite meter is a my AVOmeter because at one time I was allowed to do contact voltage tests at 2200v, and we have had a lot of 1000v equipment. ( in the USA you had the Simpson 260 meter very much like the AVO )
Only the AVO could do that stuff.
Times change standards change .
Now I use the Fluke 77.... it is what it is.
That and no instrument shop to calibrate my AVO anymore.
I think its probably got issues that will render it forever unusable now...
That and batteries are probably impossible to get.

That looks like a good crimper, as long as you have the correct dies your probably never going to have an issue.

I have a fluke clamp on that looks like that.
I cant honestly tell you what model it is now.
I give so little thought to this stuff.

When they stop working I hand it into the toolman and he does something with it and I get a new one.

Danger comes from being complacent.
I catch myself sometimes not respecting things because nothing bad has ever happened.
My actions are almost muscle memory now, until get down to business and then start to think about what I am here to fix or change.

That's not something I would admit at work
I leave brain in the dry and follow the green work order steps until independent thought required.
We should all pay very close attention to our tools and test equipment....
Question why we do what we do and examine the steps question the procedure

I have a fluke clamp on that looks like that.
I cant honestly tell you what model it is now.
I give so little thought to this stuff.

When they stop working I hand it into the toolman and he does something with it and I get a new one.

Danger comes from being complacent.
I catch myself sometimes not respecting things because nothing bad has ever happened.
My actions are almost muscle memory now, until get down to business and then start to think about what I am here to fix or change.

That's not something I would admit at work
I leave brain in the dry and follow the green work order steps until independent thought required.
We should all pay very close attention to our tools and test equipment....
Question why we do what we do and examine the steps question the procedure

Yup, being on auto-pilot until encountering the unexpected can get you in trouble. Lucky me I sit in front of a computer call day and nothing can hurt me except eye strain.

I do miss working on real stuff and the satisfaction of either fixing something and putting it back in service or completing a job and looking at it and smiling.

Yup, being on auto-pilot until encountering the unexpected can get you in trouble. Lucky me I sit in front of a computer call day and nothing can hurt me except eye strain.

I do miss working on real stuff and the satisfaction of either fixing something and putting it back in service or completing a job and looking at it and smiling.
No one fixes things anymore.
Now you change parts until it works.

More and more you fix less and less,
Eventually I will fix nothing at all and simply replace complete units...

No one fixes things anymore.
Now you change parts until it works.

More and more you fix less and less,
Eventually I will fix nothing at all and simply replace complete units...

I fix everything around the house. To cheep to pay a repair man since I have the know how.

Back