diy solar

diy solar

Clueless Smart guy

OleMan2765

I am the clueless guy.
How do I determine which BMS will work in my battery?
Someone mentioned to try a certain brand.

I have 2 MPP LV6548's

I can not find which specific BMS I need for my BigBattery Husky 48v.

As I search, I find dozens of BMS's.

Anyone know where I can find some

Last edited:
Usually the BMS is used in conjunction with assembling the individual cells to monitor and protect them.
I would assume the BB Husky 48 has an internal BMS to control and protect the battery and cells.

What function are you concerned about?

Usually the BMS is used in conjunction with assembling the individual cells to monitor and protect them.
I would assume the BB Husky 48 has an internal BMS to control and protect the battery and cells.

What function are you concerned about?
Have no idea about the health of the battery. Not to mention the temperature.
The BMS that BB uses is for itself and no one else.

Do you want a battery monitor that tracks the state of charge?
People have great success with Victron.

Do you want a battery monitor that tracks the state of charge?
People have great success with Victron.
I have their smart shunt, that's all. But that is only Bluetooth range for me.
I want a BMS that communicated with my Inverter, and then I can remotely monitor my system from anywhere using SolarAssistant.

May as well post what inverter you have.

In the mean time put 'solarassitant' in the search box for more ideas. I have no direct experience with this function to be of help.

I assume you are contemplating opening up the battery case to replace the BMS.
The BigBattery Husky must have a BMS. I am guessing it has and the BMS has a communications port and that BigBattery did not expose it outside the case for access by the end user. BigBattery would need some way to install firmware and to program the BMS.
If you are contemplating opening the case then post pictures of the BMS that is installed.

I assume you are contemplating opening up the battery case to replace the BMS.
The BigBattery Husky must have a BMS. I am guessing it has and the BMS has a communications port and that BigBattery did not expose it outside the case for access by the end user. BigBattery would need some way to install firmware and to program the BMS.
If you are contemplating opening the case then post pictures of the BMS that is installed.
Yes, open case to replace the BMS with one that communicates with my MPP's and SolarAssistant.

If you are replacing the BMS(s) in BB Husky, read further in the forum on opinions of BMS(s). Most all 48v BMS will communicate with your batteries as long as each sensor lead is connected to each cell.
Many opinions out here, I like the JK BMS units. Others like JBD, or Seplos.
Here is a link to connecting Solar Assistant to MPP/VOLTRONIC Inverter/Charge Controllers.

If you are replacing the BMS(s) in BB Husky, read further in the forum on opinions of BMS(s). Most all 48v BMS will communicate with your batteries as long as each sensor lead is connected to each cell.
Many opinions out here, I like the JK BMS units. Others like JBD, or Seplos.
Here is a link to connecting Solar Assistant to MPP/VOLTRONIC Inverter/Charge Controllers.
I just hope to find a BMS that will replace what I have. As I look for BMS's, there are so many different devices out there, and I have no clue where to start.
It would be nice and easy to find a chart that would cross to a BMS from the type of connections I have.

I really rely on the SolarAssistant to keep an eye on my MPP system. Shows everything but battery info. It shows the Voltage of the batteries, but nothing else.
Hence, my search for a better BMS

I have their smart shunt, that's all. But that is only Bluetooth range for me.
I want a BMS that communicated with my Inverter, and then I can remotely monitor my system from anywhere using SolarAssistant.
The Victron Smartshunt has a comm port to connect a VE.DIRECT cable to include its information to Solar Assistant or other devices.

I recommend you spend some time reading through the Forums/Vendor websites for the details.
Solar Assistant website is a great resource (If You Are Planning To Use It) for connecting many devices for comms.

Another hint, Select a few forum members' setups you like and agree with their results. Then duplicate what they are doing.
I have done much the same from a number of Growatt Off-Grid setups (My Preference).
Its been rock solid since doing so.
Search for members using the MPP 6548 units. Mimic their setups. Using your BB Husky(s).

The Victron Smartshunt has a comm port to connect a VE.DIRECT cable to include its information to Solar Assistant or other devices.

I recommend you spend some time reading through the Forums/Vendor websites for the details.
Solar Assistant website is a great resource (If You Are Planning To Use It) for connecting many devices for comms.
Have been using Solar Assistant for over two years. Great product.
The Shunt is only viewed with Bluetooth. Does not work 100 miles away, where Solar Assistant does.

Another hint, Select a few forum members' setups you like and agree with their results. Then duplicate what they are doing.
I have done much the same from a number of Growatt Off-Grid setups (My Preference).
Its been rock solid since doing so.
Search for members using the MPP 6548 units. Mimic their setups. Using your BB Husky(s).
Setup is rock solid for three years now. Just no way to see battery info eg; BMS

I've been planning a solar system for months. The BMS part is one part of the equation that gets complex fast. From what I have gathered, even having a CAN port or an RS485 port does not mean it will communicate with any other device having the same port. It may even be that the cable wiring sequence (pinout) varies from one brand/model to another. For this reason, it is important to know which model of inverter/charge controller/battery/etc. that you need to link up. It is likely that consultation with a good user manual for that device will be helpful in knowing how it communicates--and this, in turn, will guide you to a BMS that will cooperate. In many, perhaps most, cases, the device will only connect using one protocol/method; i.e. if using the CAN port, the RS485 will be disabled or vice versa.

I'm with you on the wish to have a chart comparing all the options in a side-by-side format so that the differences can easily be seen. I have yet to find such a comparison. My humble suggestion, being a novice myself, would be to choose one brand that you have seen favorable reports for, and just focus on seeing if you can make it work with what you have. If you discover while researching that one brand that it has some shortcoming, then switch to another and try again. The existence of various BMSes does seem based partly on having a variety of features that meet a variety of needs, so understanding what you need is the first step in the process.

I've been planning a solar system for months. The BMS part is one part of the equation that gets complex fast. From what I have gathered, even having a CAN port or an RS485 port does not mean it will communicate with any other device having the same port. It may even be that the cable wiring sequence (pinout) varies from one brand/model to another. For this reason, it is important to know which model of inverter/charge controller/battery/etc. that you need to link up. It is likely that consultation with a good user manual for that device will be helpful in knowing how it communicates--and this, in turn, will guide you to a BMS that will cooperate. In many, perhaps most, cases, the device will only connect using one protocol/method; i.e. if using the CAN port, the RS485 will be disabled or vice versa.

I'm with you on the wish to have a chart comparing all the options in a side-by-side format so that the differences can easily be seen. I have yet to find such a comparison. My humble suggestion, being a novice myself, would be to choose one brand that you have seen favorable reports for, and just focus on seeing if you can make it work with what you have. If you discover while researching that one brand that it has some shortcoming, then switch to another and try again. The existence of various BMSes does seem based partly on having a variety of features that meet a variety of needs, so understanding what you need is the first step in the process.
Thanks for the reply. Like you attitude with this world.

The Shunt is only viewed with Bluetooth. Does not work 100 miles away, where Solar Assistant does.
You need the VE cable with a Victron Smart shunt to import it's data into Solar Assistant. This cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ6WTLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That is how I do it and I can log into SA on my phone and know state of charge at any moment anywhere in the world with data access for my phone.

I see no need to change the battery BMS, I run my LV6548's without battery communication and prefer it that way.

One more thing, you will want to use the Smartshunt for SOC as the inverters or a BMS will not correctly display SOC.

It does if you connect it to the PI.

I do this and it works.

You just need the VE cable like ZWY and others have said.

Most all 48v BMS will communicate with your batteries as long as each sensor lead is connected to each cell.
That is assumed. Without being connected to each cell a BMS is useless. There is no communication per se, just shunts and FETS turning on and off..What the OP is looking for is a BMS which communicates with his MPP inverter(s).

Back