diy solar

diy solar

Combine wind power to existing solar

milktoast

I'd like to add a wind turbine to my existing solar system.

My house is in the grid.

Currently, my house has 24 solar panels. It uses an enphase.com system.

Is it possible to add a wind turbine to my house wires that has a solar system?

The solar has its own enverter and Enphase said their system can't have wind turbines.

What would need to be done to add wind and keep the solar?
Thanks

Do you have grid down capability? If not, you should be able to generate AC power from the wind, and connect to your electrical panel.

If you have off grid and batteries, then you need to connect the wind to a charge controller, and be careful you don't charge the battery too fast.

If off grid and no batteries, then you might have a problem.

@milktoast, I noticed your other post today. Seems like you presently have only the Enphase grid-tie system without batteries. I'm thinking, this goes in the category of speculation since I don't have any personal experience with wind generators. 2 possibilities.
1) If the wind turbine has a suitable dc voltage regulator, especially on the high side, it may be possible to connect another Enphase microinverter and add it to your existing system. Depends on if the Enphase system is maxed out on the number of inverters on that circuit. Its highly unlikely an off the shelf wind turbine could be directly connected to a microinverter but maybe with a secondary buck converter to limit voltage. Would be an interesting experiment because low voltage is not a problem the microinverter shuts off just like at night. The trick is to keep the wind turbine output voltage within the MPPT range of the microinverter.
2) You would have to add a new battery back up inverter and probably a critical loads panel. The battery inverter would have to be AC coupling compatible and the wind turbine would get a suitable charge controller and all its power would go into the battery bank. This would be the more conventional way.

Wind and solar on a grid tied house would be totally independent from the other. EG: PV and the Enphase would be doing it own thing while the wind turbine and it's grid tie inverter would be a totally separate system. What turbine are you looking at?

Back