diy solar

diy solar

Adding wind generator to an existing solar system

Tutenstein

Hi all, I did see some questions on this already, but I am still confused about if this is possible or not.
My question is simplistic as it gets in the sense that I wanted to know if I can connect a wind power turbine into my existing inverter. I have 10 200w panels running on a Growatt 4200MTL inverter that has 2 MTPP inlets. As I am thinking if I got a 1000W or 2000W wind turbine, which then still keeps working within the inverters capabilities, connect it to the second sets of plugs (MTPP), that would run independent of the solar into the inverter and then to the house. House has no battery and the system runs uses what it needs the left over goes into the power grid. This is my simple understanding of this and if that is all that I would need to do to achieve this? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

Wind turbines don't work like solar panels , so can't really be hooked up through your MPPT (unless it's designed for wind ?? ) they need a controller made to use with wind and also a dump load

When you batteries are 100% , all your solar panels do is stop producing power, they just turn off or down to suit

Wind turbines can't do this , they can't 'free wheel' as it were , for safeties sake they must always have a load on them

It's alright with a grid tie wind turbine cause the grid acts like one big permanent load, it can take as much power a turbine can make

Off grid is a different kettle of fish. That power HAS to have somewhere to go , A) your batteries & current loads , but once they are fully covered, power should go to B) a suitable dump load capable of dispersing all power made by the off grid turbine

This guy is an expert, loads of info especially in the comments section. He's been answering questions for the last 15 years

Instead of a dump load, a 3 phase pwm wind controller with brake can be used.

I had 2 of them that would brake at 28.7v .... so when the solar controllers were in their absorption phase (28.8v in my case) the turbines would stop.

I later set them up to brake during any sunlight hours with a spare solar panel and 2x relays to short the phases together because they weren't realistically needed unless the sunlight wasn't strong enough.

Wind turbines don't work like solar panels , so can't really be hooked up through your MPPT (unless it's designed for wind ?? ) they need a controller made to use with wind and also a dump load

When you batteries are 100% , all your solar panels do is stop producing power, they just turn off or down to suit

Wind turbines can't do this , they can't 'free wheel' as it were , for safeties sake they must always have a load on them

It's alright with a grid tie wind turbine cause the grid acts like one big permanent load, it can take as much power a turbine can make

Off grid is a different kettle of fish. That power HAS to have somewhere to go , A) your batteries & current loads , but once they are fully covered, power should go to B) a suitable dump load capable of dispersing all power made by the off grid turbine

This guy is an expert, loads of info especially in the comments section. He's been answering questions for the last 15 years
Thanks as I said I don't have batteries my system is connected to the grid, eg when I am not using the solar excess it feeds back into the grid where i get a credit for each kw h . ill check the link.

Instead of a dump load, a 3 phase pwm wind controller with brake can be used.

I had 2 of them that would brake at 28.7v .... so when the solar controllers were in their absorption phase (28.8v in my case) the turbines would stop.

I later set them up to brake during any sunlight hours with a spare solar panel and 2x relays to short the phases together because they weren't realistically needed unless the sunlight wasn't strong enough.
Ah okay I assume since I feed back to the grid that should not be an issue as it would just get absorbed by the power network grid?

Back