diy solar

diy solar

combiner box or 2nd controller?

prkrgrp

I have 6 - 400 w bifacial panels due to location problems I have to mount the panels in 3 different location all around 40 feet from control room all wiring is copper 8 awg from panels to controller what would be the benefit of a combiner box over 2 controls? panels produce 30V and 13A under ideal conditions. I have 2 controllers both are 60 amps 120 v but different brands one is EPEVER and the other is the new HSQV and a combiner 6 plug box. I will be connecting 2 panels in series which would produce 60 V and 13A under ideal conditions and then connecting those 3 in parallel which should produce 60V and 39A (correct me if wrong) Since I have all of the components which would be the more productive if either ? I have another 4 panels to locate in a few months

If you have "3 different locations", then each location should have its own wire to its own MPPT Controller. The combiner box is good for combining identical strings. With "3 locations", it is more than likely not to be identical. If one location is fully producing, and the other is 3/4 producing (say different angles to the sun), they may optimize to different voltages, and combining them in parallel is not optimal.

Back