diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade Combiner Box

Barridge

Hi Guys! I am looking for recommendations for a combiner box. I need it to handle 8 - 250 w 12v panels.
Does anyone recommend any combiner boxes that can handle 4 strings? 2 panels each connected in 4 series at 24v.
Better explained (2s4p)

Thank you and have a nice day!

Last edited:
I think you mean four parallel sets of two panels in series. Usually on this forum it would be abbreviated 2s4p.
As for combiner boxes, they’re all over Amazon, though I can’t comment on the quality of them. I just built my own out of an electrical box and DIN rail mounted two-pole breakers. They’re not terrible complicated devices.

I think you mean four parallel sets of two panels in series. Usually on this forum it would be abbreviated 2s4p.
As for combiner boxes, they’re all over Amazon, though I can’t comment on the quality of them. I just built my own out of an electrical box and DIN rail mounted two-pole breakers. They’re not terrible complicated devices.
Thank you Lakehouse! Yes your right. It's been a while since I have done any solar work and I new there was another way of explaining it. Thanks!

I just went through the combiner box selection issue. First, I would decide on outdoor or indoor. The plastic boxes with the clear front that I see almost everywhere all have short lifetimes when used outdoors. I found issues from non-PV wire to bad ferrule crimps to plastic hinges. Decided to go with the Midnite combiner box with one of their lightning arrestors and wire it myself. Very well-built equipment box. Aluminum powder coated with different sizes available.

Back