diy solar

diy solar

Micro Inverter/ optimizer or combiner box

Jasondrumguy

Going to be installing my huge semi off grid solar panel soon. I am definitely going to be dealing with shading issues. I all ready have two EG4 6500 inverter chargers. So I feel using micro inverter would leave the Pv inputs empty. So possibly I’d be using the optimizers. Just started seeing these fancy combiner boxes. Do I need both, or could I just use the optimizers. Could I just use the combiner box? I have 28 solar panels. Some 250wTts, some 350 watts, and six 525 watts. Thank you.

Will you install your panels on the ground or on a roof?

Do you need to have a rapid shudown to isolate each panel?

About Micro Inverter versus optimizer or combiner box, I found those videos providing some interesting content:

Results Overview Shading TEST! Do you need microinverters or power optimizers? TIGO/ Enphase/ SMA/ Powerwall3

From this video, it seems that Micro Inverters are not really providing too much additional power while been more expensive than optimisers.

Microinverters Vs. String Inverter - Which one is better?

From this video, it seems that in case of failure, after few years, it might be difficult to find a replacement for a buster Micro Inverter,
forcing you to replace all your Micro Inverters if you could not find a compatible new one.

Solar panels going on semi trailer. And definitely going to have shade issues. Definitely seem like the optimizers would be a great help for shade. Do I need a combiner box as well?

About combiner box, how many strings will you have?
And what will be the Voltage and Amp on each string?

For the PV combiner boxes, I personally use a fuse on each wire so every string can be isolated,
when doing any maintenace. I use a polarised dual pole circuit breaker and a voltage arrester
on each branch, and another DC switch just before each SCC (Solar Charge Controller).

Note: I didn't really understood what you mean by 'semi off grid' :)
There is in fact a special forum for Vehicle Mounted Systems.

What type of batteries and capacity do you have?

Thanks,
The semi is going to be a RV basically I’m converting it. The layout I’m still working on, but wanted to figure out this optimizer and combiner box thing. I check out that thread thanks.

I have the two EG4 6500 and the big 300lbs 48 volt battery. 285 amp hours. Might up grade to two of those if needed.

Back