diy solar

diy solar

Compatible BMS for inverter

jmsol

Hello!

Been looking to get a JK BMS but (according to reseller) there seems to be some compatibility issues with my inverters protection board and
RS485 or CAN communication. How do I know what BMS to get?

BMS

My EPEVER NP300-22 inverter

Batterybank 8x280ah LFP cells.

Playing Devil's Advocate, do you have to connect the BMS to the inverter for communication?

There are hundreds of implementations on the forum where there is no communication between the two devices.

Playing Devil's Advocate, do you have to connect the BMS to the inverter for communication?

There are hundreds of implementations on the forum where there is no communication between the two devices.
Actually I'm not sure how important it really is. What options would I be missing out on?

Actually I'm not sure how important it really is. What would I be missing out on?

I don't have communication between my two LiFePO4 batteries and my Victron system, so I'm not experienced with the communications between the two. At a high level, the BMS would be able to tell the charging device(s) to stop charging.

The way most of us handle the charging is to set the charge devices to a level below what the BMS thinks is too much. For example, my charge devices will provide up to 14.4 volts. My BMS will disconnect the charge (internally) at 14.6 volts. I've never had a problem with the batteries getting overcharged.

What options would I be missing out on?
You would not be missing out on a lot of options. It also depends on how the communications are implemented.
I have closed communications and my BMS has more accurate voltage and SOC numbers so that is the benefit to me as well as the BMS controlling the charge current from the inverter to the batteries.

I don't have communication between my two LiFePO4 batteries and my Victron system, so I'm not experienced with the communications between the two. At a high level, the BMS would be able to tell the charging device(s) to stop charging.

The way most of us handle the charging is to set the charge devices to a level below what the BMS thinks is too much. For example, my charge devices will provide up to 14.4 volts. My BMS will disconnect the charge (internally) at 14.6 volts. I've never had a problem with the batteries getting overcharged.
Yes, thats pretty much all I want to do. Although the reseller was both helpful and kind to point out incompatibilities, it made me believe communication was more or less a necessity for this type BMS. I think I will take another look at that JK ?
You would not be missing out on a lot of options. It also depends on how the communications are implemented.
I have closed communications and my BMS has more accurate voltage and SOC numbers so that is the benefit to me as well as the BMS controlling the charge current from the inverter to the batteries.
Sounds like it's a useful option to have. Thanks for clearing that out.

Although the reseller was both helpful and kind to point out incompatibilities, it made me believe communication was more or less a necessity for this type BMS.
I went for seven years without closed communication. It is not a necessity.

Back