diy solar

diy solar

Components needed for 12V-only system

dobermankby

Hello, I'm trying decide on a battery system for my first camper van that I'm currently working on converting.
I will use this van mostly for weekend/extended weekend trips, and maybe a couple occasional 7-10 day long road trips per year.
I was initially thinking of Bluetti AC200P, but the issues (especially idle drainage even when the inverter is OFF, or inaccurate battery level display issues) turned me off a bit. Also I don't need AC - certainly not 6 (six) AC outputs - so that felt a bit like overkill. So I figured I can get a separate battery for less $ and have better reliability.
I'm thinking of starting simple (no inverter, no solar, only charging via AC outlet for now) and add those if I need in the future.
Here's what I'm currently thinking:
  • Renogy 12V 200Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Bluetooth ($1099)
  • Renogy AC-DC charger for Lifepo4 batteries (20A) ($140)
First question: What do you think about this battery? Is it safe to assume that it's more reliable than a Bluetti? Renogy is a solid brand, right?
This battery has a BMS, temperature and discharging protections, and a Bluetooth for monitoring the battery state. I especially like the bluetooth monitoring which eliminates the need for a separate battery monitor. Please let me know if this is a bad assumption.

Next question: Do I need any other components to begin with other than the two listed above? For example, do I need a fan & temp sensor to keep the battery cool?
What about if I add solar + MPPT? Do I need a fan to cool down the MPPT?
I'm mainly confused by the existence of fans in all in one systems like MPPSolar. Do those fans exist mainly to keep the inverter cool? Or the MPPT? When you use a battery + MPPSolar do you still add a fan to the battery as well?

I appreciate all the input in advance. Thanks.

Hello, I'm trying decide on a battery system for my first camper van that I'm currently working on converting.
I will use this van mostly for weekend/extended weekend trips, and maybe a couple occasional 7-10 day long road trips per year.
I was initially thinking of Bluetti AC200P, but the issues (especially idle drainage even when the inverter is OFF, or inaccurate battery level display issues) turned me off a bit. Also I don't need AC - certainly not 6 (six) AC outputs - so that felt a bit like overkill. So I figured I can get a separate battery for less $ and have better reliability.
I'm thinking of starting simple (no inverter, no solar, only charging via AC outlet for now) and add those if I need in the future.
Here's what I'm currently thinking:
  • Renogy 12V 200Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Bluetooth ($1099)
  • Renogy AC-DC charger for Lifepo4 batteries (20A) ($140)
First question: What do you think about this battery? Is it safe to assume that it's more reliable than a Bluetti? Renogy is a solid brand, right?
Some of their products are ok some are not so great.
Their support kinda sucks.
Next question: Do I need any other components to begin with other than the two listed above?
wire
fuses
fuse block
busbars
tools
For example, do I need a fan & temp sensor to keep the battery cool?
Probably not.
What about if I add solar + MPPT? Do I need a fan to cool down the MPPT?
If the solar charge controller needs active cooling it will likely have its own fan.
I'm mainly confused by the existence of fans in all in one systems like MPPSolar.
The all in ones include a solar charge controller, inverter and an ac2dc charger.
All of those functions generate enough heat as a byproduct that active cooling is required.
Do those fans exist mainly to keep the inverter cool?
Inverters generally include a fan if they need active cooling.

General summary: Most devices that generate enough heat to require active cooling have a built in fan.

Renogy 12V 200Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Bluetooth ($1099)
That’s several hundred dollars more than the same amp-hours from a pair of SOKs that Will positively reviewed.
I’m not a renogy fan anyway. Much less a renogy fan for more money!
What about if I add solar + MPPT?
Well the $300 you saved by not buying renogy batteries will buy 300W of Rich or Windy panels and a PWM. Add a few bucks and you’d have an MPPT.

There are a few other things needed as smoothJ pointed out.

Then you can add an inverter later if required. Or do it now compared to the blewetthi money you didn’t spend…

Back