diy solar

diy solar

cable sizing for battery components

bofinch

Hello, I'm building my first system and I'm working through wire sizes inside my 12v, 3,600watt battery case

I've got AWG 12 between my battery box PV port and my MPPT.
Then I've got AWG 6 wire between most all of the rest of the components (50A breaker, bus bar, 12v fuse block, BMS).
Finally, the inverter came with AWG 4 wires, and it seems like that would be good for the 100A of the 1200 watt inverter.
I've got a 150A breaker on the Battery to inverter positive.

This sounds confusing as I write it, so I hope it makes sense.
Does this sound reasonable for wire sizing?

Thanks,

Hello, I'm building my first system and I'm working through wire sizes inside my 12v, 3,600watt battery case

I've got AWG 12 between my battery box PV port and my MPPT.
Then I've got AWG 6 wire between most all of the rest of the components (50A breaker, bus bar, 12v fuse block, BMS).
Finally, the inverter came with AWG 4 wires, and it seems like that would be good for the 100A of the 1200 watt inverter.
I've got a 150A breaker on the Battery to inverter positive.

This sounds confusing as I write it, so I hope it makes sense.
Does this sound reasonable for wire sizing?

Thanks,
Provide some more information on your project such as the length of your wire runs, components, etc. For lower voltage DC applications, the length of wire run has a bearing on the proper gauge(size) of wire to use. Will has some excellent videos on the correct gauge of wire to use and how to look it up on wire charts, etc.

I've attached a rough layout of what I'm thinking to build. I've already got most of the components.

- All wire will be copper welding/battery cable.
- Everything will be contained in a wheeled tote, so no connections will be longer than 18 inches, and the AWG 2 wire will probably be 1 foot or so.
- The SAE connector has a 12 gauge pigtail. Is this adequate to connect to the DPST switch to the MPPT controller?
- I'm thinking AWG 8 would work for most everything else, but I might use AWG 6 just to be safe. Comments?

- The exception would be AWG 2 from the positive from 150A terminal fuse to Inverter, and from Inverter negative to bus bar.
- Another exception is the negative leads from the Overkill BMS to the battery negative.

I chose not to put a fuse or breaker on the 12v fuse block, since each circuit on the block is individually fused. Is this reasonable?

Any and all comments are certainly welcome as I try to learn into this.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• layout.JPG
    layout.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 11
sorry - I was looking at your "Main house setup". Thanks for the wire calculator. It looks valuable.

How about the overall design and placement/size of the fuses, etc.?

Thanks for the patience!

BTW - I LOVE that calculator!!

Back