diy solar

diy solar

Sizing Wires & Breakers/Fuses

OP, you are getting a lot of bad (ie, incorrect) advice. For example, 4/0 MTW cable can handle over 400A @ 105 degrees C. Check out X-Flex power supply cable from Cobra Wire & Cable.

Suggest you check out other sources of solar info . . .

OP, you are getting a lot of bad (ie, incorrect) advice. For example, 4/0 MTW cable can handle over 400A @ 105 degrees C. Check out X-Flex power supply cable from Cobra Wire & Cable.

Suggest you check out other sources of solar info . . .
For 3kW, I suggest going with higher DC voltage system, and smaller wire, lower operating temperatures, safer, less costly smaller diameter wires are easier to work with.

AC, induction cooktop, and potentially an air fryer/oven

Just tested my instant pot and it pulls 1560 watts in air fryer mode.
Less in pressure cook mode.

I'm pretty sure you can get an induction cooktop that will draw less than 2000 ac watts.

Just tested my instant pot and it pulls 1560 watts in air fryer mode.
Less in pressure cook mode.

I'm pretty sure you can get an induction cooktop that will draw less than 2000 ac watts.
I'd very much prefer not to under-size any of my components from the start. Even if a 2000W inverter would be marginally sufficient now, I would be constrained from adding anything else.

I'd very much prefer not to under-size any of my components from the start. Even if a 2000W inverter would be marginally sufficient now, I would be constrained from adding anything else.
Going above 300 fault amps really makes things a pain.
Have you decided on a specific inverter?
Ampere time makes 24 volt batteries, just fyi.

Going above 300 fault amps really makes things a pain.
Have you decided on a specific inverter?
Ampere time makes 24 volt batteries, just fyi.
I already have the 4x 200ah 12v batteries, but I can wire them 2s2p for a 400ah 24v system. I've purchased a 12v 3000W inverter, but I can return it for a 24v one.

I'd need to buy a converter to step down the voltage from 24v to 12v for my fan, fridge, lights, DC charging ports, etc.

Do you know if two Renogy 12v 40a DC-DC charger can be wired in series to charge a 24v battery bank?

I already have the 4x 200ah 12v batteries, but I can wire them 2s2p for a 400ah 24v system.
Then you have the problem of batteries in series drifting out of balance.
I've purchased a 12v 3000W inverter, but I can return it for a 24v one.
Please provide a product link.
I'd need to buy a converter to step down the voltage from 24v to 12v for my fan, fridge, lights, DC charging ports, etc.
Yep.
Do you know if two Renogy 12v 40a DC-DC charger can be wired in series to charge a 24v battery bank?
I don't.
I stay away from Renogy products.
Some of the products are ok but the service/support is not good.

I already have the 4x 200ah 12v batteries, but I can wire them 2s2p for a 400ah 24v system. I've purchased a 12v 3000W inverter, but I can return it for a 24v one.

I’m new here as well. If I were you, I would create a schematic electrical drawing & post it on this thread. That way we can help you out better.

If you are looking for a wire size chart for a van, Blue Sea has a decent one & a calculator. Also Wire Barn.

Pros & Cons to every decision, but I like where you are going with the 24v. I have a Victron 12 | 3000 | 120 (since 2018), but never installed it.

Much of the 24v decision for me would be “how are you gonna charge it”.

FYI;

Your Victron 100 | 50 is both 12v & 24v ?
Yep! Just trying to solve the DC-DC charging situation from the alternator. I accidentally bought two Renogy 40a 12v DC-DC chargers. Trying to figure out if they can be wired to provide 24v charge.

Yep! Just trying to solve the DC-DC charging situation from the alternator. I accidentally bought two Renogy 40a 12v DC-DC chargers. Trying to figure out if they can be wired to provide 24v charge.

Hmmmm ?

I think yo are talkng about “parallel“ & “parallel” affects amps not volts.

Back