diy solar

diy solar

Connecting diy modular system components

Yurtdweller

Solar Enthusiast
I'm reconfiguring my system.
It needs to be portable.
I've built a 1180ah 12v battery in a road case.
I'm building a cabinet for the inverter (straight 2kw inverter, psw) and the charge controller.
It will be connected to the battery by cable umbilical.

Question is this:
option #1-for most convenience, I could connect the charge controller (100amps max) directly to the back of the inverter (cabled for 166 amps, min)
and connect the inverter's leads to the battery by terminal blocks or by anderson connector.

Option two: seperately connect both inverter and cc to battery terminals by terminal blocks or anderson connector.

I understand that option two is technically slightly better, but only by about a foot of cable run, at the expense of having a slightly less streamlined assembly.

I suppose wiring them separately would allow each device to have it's own fuse. ?

Are there any other potential electrical reasons not to connect things like in option #1?

Second question:

The system moves about 5 times a year. Quick connection is not strictly necessary. Merely for convenience. I've never used Anderson connectors. Is it worth the extra expense?

Am I overlooking anything in terms of connecting these components to the battery?

Thanks group:)

Best way is to use bus bars.
You should have a fuse and a DC disconnect switch between battery and inverter.
A fuse is also recommended from SCC to battery. Using bus bars make everything easier, and more streamlined.
A DC rated disconnect or breaker should be used between solar panels and the SCC (for safety and maintenance).

When I say bus bars, I mean something like this (one for negative l, one for positive):
71ApvaShXSS.jpg

You absolutely need to make sure that all your components are properly rated for the load / charging currents. A 12v 2000w inverter can pull close to 200A at peak load.
This includes fuses, wires, DC rated switches/breakers, etc...
PV disconnect should be rated for solar panel string maximum voltage (Voc) depending how you connected them (series/parallel) and for maximum current.

I used a victron 'power in' bus bar to connect the four battery packs @280ah/12v and modified it to hold a mega fuse for each battery pack. I will be installing my BMS shunt after that, then will install my terminal blocks in lieu of buss bars. The battery box will also contain a 12v fused load center for 12v loads, cig lighter outlets, USB outlets, etc. I have decided to wire the cc and inverter each with their own leads and their own mega fuses as well.

New question regarding how to connect these components. I've come up with a different design than I originally proposed. In the new design, both devices have their own fuses inside their cabinet.

In diagram #1, I have the CC and the Inverter both connected to a single umbilical that will connect to the battery. This will be cleaner, and it will reduce how many amps are travelling through the umbilicals, at certain times of the day, because power can travel straight from the cc into the inverter.

In diagram #2, each device has it's own umbilical connected directly to the battery.

The length of the umbilical will be three feet or less.

It seems that #1 is the best choice. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Additionally, is there a device or switch that will allow pre-charging the inverter?

Will pre-charging a circuit that has both components (cc and inverter) connected together be problematic? Could I pre-charge the circuit by briefly connecting the solar panels?

Thanks folks:)modular diagram 1 cable.jpgmodualr diagram 2 cables.jpg

Back