diy solar

diy solar

How did you actually connect your 24v batteries in parallel? (and fuses?)

interestingfellow

What method did you use to connect your batteries in parallel?

I am reconfiguring my system for <reasons>, and will end up with x4 8s eve280 batteries with a Daly BMS and paralell communication board each, plugged into canbus on a VenusPi. I want to be able to remove one or more batteries easily for repairs or to use that battery in another system/project as needed.

And I'm trying to figure out how to actually physically connect all the batteries in parallel? Big A** bus bars? Anderson connectors?

I am a big fan of MRBF Terminal Fuse Blocks, which each battery will have for catastrophic failure prevention.

Suggestions welcome, please. Thanks!

OCP for each bank, breaker of Fuse.

At 24v I feel there are a lot better (cheaper) options than needing class t fuses. ANL and Mega fuses are adequate.

I’d look into the lynx power in with fuses for each battery, combine that with disconnect switches (blue seas) and it’s not to bad.

What method did you use to connect your batteries in parallel?

I am reconfiguring my system for <reasons>, and will end up with x4 8s eve280 batteries with a Daly BMS and paralell communication board each, plugged into canbus on a VenusPi. I want to be able to remove one or more batteries easily for repairs or to use that battery in another system/project as needed.

And I'm trying to figure out how to actually physically connect all the batteries in parallel? Big A** bus bars? Anderson connectors?

I am a big fan of MRBF Terminal Fuse Blocks, which each battery will have for catastrophic failure prevention.

Suggestions welcome, please. Thanks!

Agree large bus bars with MRBF Fuse Blocks on each battery bank Positive would be my choice. Between Battery Positive Bus Bar and Inverter a Class-T fuse. Picked up Blue Seas Class-T Fuse and Cover at Home Depot.

Blue Seas makes a good Big Bus Bar.

Last edited:
Those a quality bars but get pricy when buying two.

Vs lynx at ~$150

Good point... Always like Victron and did not consider the Victron Lynx Power In. Certainly more connections with Blue Seas PowerBar with eight 3/8 connections (and others) on it vs four M8 per +/- with the Lynx, but I do like the Lynx system and close to 1/2 the price with being more compact.

Depending on the application both would make a good choice.

I was thinking about connecting two sets of 4 cells using anderson connectors and each set would have buss bars. The pack needs to be portable and one set is about 50 pounds.

I was thinking about connecting two sets of 4 cells using anderson connectors and each set would have buss bars. The pack needs to be portable and one set is about 50 pounds.
This is about what I'm trying to do

I don't know who I'm replying to with the rest of this info, but I'm not the kind of guy to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can build for 20 bucks. I literally have one and a quarter inch wide by quarter inch thick copper stock sitting right here. I'm a very Hands-On do-it-yourself kind of guy

But y'all's suggestions are definitely extremely helpful, thank you!

This is about what I'm trying to do

I don't know who I'm replying to with the rest of this info, but I'm not the kind of guy to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can build for 20 bucks. I literally have one and a quarter inch wide by quarter inch thick copper stock sitting right here. I'm a very Hands-On do-it-yourself kind of guy

But y'all's suggestions are definitely extremely helpful, thank you!
I used Blue Seas bus bar for positives, but I may need to go bigger as I just bought more batteries.

For negative I used a pure copper bar and a BEP 3-Way Joiner bar bolted directly to the shunt. The Joiner bars are cheap and can be doubled for more capacity. I have plenty of room to expand here as I can bolt lugs on the front and back of these bars.
.A7A1031C-057D-4781-9205-878F3C6A5B28.jpeg

I used Blue Seas bus bar for positives, but I may need to go bigger as I just bought more batteries.

For negative I used a pure copper bar and a BEP 3-Way Joiner bar bolted directly to the shunt. The Joiner bars are cheap and can be doubled for more capacity. I have plenty of room to expand here as I can bolt lugs on the front and back of these bars.
.View attachment 185754

And you take that to a new level, making a rotary switch out of that copper bar so it can move to complete the circuit.

My system is 48v, but I can easily split each battery in two to be able to lift them. The compression frames are narrow enough that the flexible bus bars will reach to connect the two halves (they are under the outer edges of the red covers). You could easily make an 8S4P system instead of 16S2P with this configuration.

PXL_20230715_201502050.png

The BMSs mount on top with the fuses. Both batteries join at the passthrough lugs.

PXL_20230715_205237769.png

PXL_20230715_210854465.png

Back