diy solar

diy solar

Connecting large and small inverter for dual applications

Rod64

I have a 3000W 24V inverter charger that i use for my off-grid cabin during spring to fall when i am at the cabin. I am concerned that the energy consumption of the inverter during winter months (with snow) will overpower the charge of my batteries so i am thinking of adding a second smaller inverter (750W) to use during winter to power the wifi and security system. Does anyone use this this type of setup and does it even make sense?

It makes complete sense. Larger inverters typically have higher idle draws. It will be a balancing act though so you'd need to think through the usage patterns to see if it was going to be of any useful benefit.

Would it be practical to run your wifi and security system off DC direct. Even if your battery voltage does not suit the equipment directly and you need to use buck regulators (for efficiency) you will still be avoiding multiple conversion steps (DC to AC, AC back to DC) each of which add their own losses.

It makes complete sense. Larger inverters typically have higher idle draws. It will be a balancing act though so you'd need to think through the usage patterns to see if it was going to be of any useful benefit.

Would it be practical to run your wifi and security system off DC direct. Even if your battery voltage does not suit the equipment directly and you need to use buck regulators (for efficiency) you will still be avoiding multiple conversion steps (DC to AC, AC back to DC) each of which add their own losses.
This is exactly what I do I have wifi and cameras all directly on DC no wasted inverter losses

This is exactly what I do I have wifi and cameras all directly on DC no wasted inverter losses
Please elaborate. How can you get wifi or cameras from direct dc? My equipment is 110V AC.

My router has a wall wart that produces 9v dc. I have a buck converter for that. To get 24v to 9v.

I have both ring and blink cameras which have usb for power so I use 24v to 5v USB adapter. I think almost no matter what you are using for cameras and router they actually run on DC with an adapter

My wifi cameras have mains adaptors but the cameras themselves use 12V at under an amp so I have them powered by buck regulators that are powered from my 24V line that runs around the yard. The DVR itself is the same, but 2A. It sits in the carport and is also run off the 24V lilne.

Back