diy solar

diy solar

Samlex Evo 4024 auto start - no setting for offgrid use ?

KevOffGrid

I have a samlex evo 4024 that has been functioning incredibly well. The hardware has been rock solid. I live off grid in Northern Manitoba through 5 to 7 months of winter and have really enjoyed not having to think about what Im turning on and when.

Trouble is… it does not appear to have auto restart function.

I left the offgrid house for a couple months to go work further north and then a small trip south to visit wife and family etc… during that time the panels got covered in snow and the system shut down. I have a small vertically mounted 12 volt panel with a 12 volt sun save controller connected to one battery in the 24 volt bank to keep enough power going through to “jump start” the outback flexmax 80 when the panels are cleared off, this functioned as expected. Sadly, this most recent occurrence of snow covering lasted so long the samlex low voltage disconnect shutdown powered off the inverter. Upon my return late last week I found the panels cleared, the battery bank fully recharged and the samlex powered off.

Is there a setting that I need to adjust for the inverter to auto power back on without it having to see power on the grid or generator inputs ?

Thank you

The Samlex like any other Inverter does not have an auto-restart function. When a Low Volt Disconnect occurs the Capacitors are discharged and the unit sits in an Off & Flat state (no charge). There is nothing to keep it "awake" to sense if there is power at the batteries and to startup.

I am NOT aware of any Inverter system that can auto-restart after a power-down condition.

The Samlex does have a 12V Remote On/Off function that can be triggered by an external device. More info below and also in the manual.

Last edited:
Outback fx inverter may work. You can use a voltage sensor to toggle the on/off input of the inverter. Set a range. It may also work natively with the Mate 3 control.

There "MAY" be one option for the Samlex.
[15]. +12V Input Terminals for “Remote On Off” (9 to 15V, 3mA) - Screw M 2.5; AWG #30 to #12

1707743261337.png

SEE MANUAL SECTION:
6.2 POWERING ON / OFF BY FEEDING EXTERNAL +12V SIGNAL TO TERMINALS MARKED “REMOTE ON/OFF” ON THE FRONT PANEL
The unit can be switched ON /OFF remotely by feeding specified format of +12VDC (+9 to15VDC, < 10mA) signal to terminals marked “Remote On / Off” on the Front Panel (15, Fig 2.1). The specified +12V signal format has 2 options – “Button Type” or “Switch Type”. These 2 signal format options can be programmed using the optional Remote

Thanks for clarifying

I did see that in the manual. I am going to make a logic box that will trigger the 12 volt momentary when the battery voltage reaches a qualified charge level.

i recently picked up a evo4248sp, if its menus are similar to the 4024, you should be able to keep it from shutting down by setting LV CUT OFF TIME to zero

i recently picked up a evo4248sp, if its menus are similar to the 4024, you should be able to keep it from shutting down by setting LV CUT OFF TIME to zero
Curious... I think at some point the battery bank is going to be so low it shuts down any way...I dont think i want to prevent it from powering off, i just want it to power back on.

So far I have design that I think will work.

Having proved that My charge controller will power back on when the panels clear I'm sure this is the going to work. The outback auxport can be configured to trigger on many different conditions. I am going to set the outback 80 to trigger 12 volts when the controller hits float mode ie: a fully charged battery bank.

The samlex also has a 12 volt power trigger.. Either continuous or momentary will trigger.

If I connect directly to the samlex it works. Trouble is the following day when float is triggered it powers off the inverter.

I have created a circuit where I use a mosfet to trigger open when 120v is applied (inverter powered On) so it breaks the 12 volt line... When inverter powers off no 120v mosfet closes and 12 volt float mode trigger powers up.

Some kinks in design to iron out and need to source a suitable mosfet :)

Back