diy solar

diy solar

Connecting Temp Sensor to LFP

Swami

The usual recommendation is to connect a battery temp sensor to one or other terminal post (Victron to +, Balmar to -). This is fine for lead acid as the temperature of the lead post closely represents the internal plate temp.

However, whereas my Daly BMS inside my drop-in lithium casing registers 24°C via Bluetooth when my lithium 4 cell unit is charging at say 120A, the thermistor cable from the negative terminal back to the Balmar external alternator regulator shows about 50°.

Now, I do realise that the terminal temp is actually just the heat from the high current flow inwards through the stainless bolt and fitting -- which is probably much higher than the actual lithium cells "on the other side" of the BMS. So, shouldn't the thermister cable end actually be connected directly to the top of say, the centre lithium cell so it matches with the true BT app reading? ... or maybe glued to the side of one lithium cell?

Btw, I know that temperature compensation is not needed when charging lithium batteries, and that the BMS has safety shutdown for high temp (factory default at 60°). But the Balmar regulator is designed to current limit battery charging according to battery heat. As a pre-set temp gets near the battery's shut off, it limits charging current to prevent a BMS hi-temp shutdown ... which would surge blow the alternator when current has nowhere to go.

So, I figure to move the cable INTO the box and bolt it to the top of the BMS to battery negative bus.

You have a 26 degree C difference in temperature?

To me that points to a bad connection. I noticed a bad connection with a 5 degree C difference and turned out it was a loose and corroded connector.

Is there anything between the cable and the batttery stud like a washer? Something could be causing the current to flow through the steel of the stud instead.

No. It's solid as a rock. You're missing the point. The temperature discrepancy is because one is the heat of 120 Amps through a 3awg cable and an 8mm bolt, whereas the other is on the OPPOSITE ELECTRICAL SIDE of the BMS, that is the lithium chemical reactions inside the cells. Any cable gets warm/hot carrying 120A at 14.6v (that's 1850 watts) transferring through the flat cross section of the eye terminal. 50°C is NOT REAL HOT for a cable. The alternator itself is up around 80°C. The issue is to read battery temp, not cable temp.

Back