diy solar

diy solar

Controller for a 48v NiFe Battery Bank?

Orca66

I’m looking for a solar controller/inverter that can be used for an off-grid system. 4.8 kw solar input, 2 strings, solar tracker. 48v 400 ah NiFe battery bank. Generac Eco Gen 15 kw standby generator, two wire start capable. Any serious recommendations for a controller and/or inverter that can handle pv Voc of 600v/4800w in two strings?

I need something that will allow a wide range of battery voltage (inverter operating range) so that I can use the full voltage range available with NiFe batteries. Manufacturer advises that “empty” voltage is 26 v. I don’t want a controller that will transfer to generator when the battery reaches 41 or 42 volts. I’d like something that allows me to custom set low battery limits, much closer to battery lower limit. Two wire start capability is also required.

Separate units or an all-in-one, doesn’t matter.

I’ve looked at many of the major manufacturers and have come up empty.

Thanking you in advance for any product leads you might have.

I too am searching for an inverter that will work at 66 volt input as I have a 48 volt 200 amp hour NIFE battery bank. It will probably be Morningstars new 2500 watt Suresine.

I do not think you can run a NIFE battery below 1 volt repetitively without risk of damage or shortening its life. So a 40 cell battery would be 40 volts on the lower end and 66 volts on the high end (1.65 volts per cell) much more than that and you will be watering excessively.

Any descent MPPT charge controller should be able to adjust to the required voltages needed. For the inverter, I would think Outback, Schneider or maybe the new Midnite Solar Rosie would be able to cover your wide voltage range.

I am not sure if any AIO's will be able to handle the voltage range on the high end.

Back