diy solar

diy solar

Convert Solar to Crypto/Research - A Heating that pays you! An option to use spare electric energy

OffGridEnclave

Many OffGrid Dwellers and Solar system owners alike have the same thought: How to use excess Electric Energy after the batteries are full ?!?
Letting all the spare power go to waste is such a tragedy..

Specially if one lives in an area with real winter and hence the solar is specked for that time frame there is SO MUCH spare power in Spring/summer/autumn.

A possible Solution for you could be to convert that into bitcoin or support medical research and have heat as side product.
The idea was not to replace infrastructure but to have a solution to use spare solar power from offgridsystems that else would go to waste.
The heating is just a side product that can be utilized.
After throwing the idea around a bunch, i scrapped some old hardware, bought a additional new Graphics card and setup two "electric heating fans that produce money/research"
2x +-500W Heating Boxes for a total of +- 1kW "test heating" ....

(dont be hating mkay, my videos are nowhere near wills quality ^^ me sports a glorious 19€ action cam mkay..)

possible decentralized computing projects to run instead or with crypto :

folding at home : doing enzyme folding calculations for medical research - https://foldingathome.org/
seti at home : analyzing extraterrestrial radio signals - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI@home

In my setups i run the GPU's for crypto and the CPU's for cancer research with folding at home.

dont get me wrong, i am not trying to advertise to "invest" into such systems, but to utilize existing hardware if possible.
If one has a gaming rig and a solar system, you already own the tools to run this, no investments needed.
Older generation graphic cards will provide valuable computing power for medical research, even if not "profitable" to run for crypto.
put two graphic cards into a case, slap a fan in there, run it with folding@home and crypto and you got yourself a "electric device that pays crypto and supports cancer research while its converting spare solar power to heat" ... beat that in efficiency ,)

Last edited:
For those interested, look at BOINC and Gridcoin:

I used to run BOINC in order to make some Gridcoin running on some low power SBCs like Raspberry PIs.
Not sure what its worth today, but you are basically donating resources for science/health research, so if you have excess power, its a good cause.

I run my little bitcion miner when I have extra power during the day...

Attachments

• IMG_9362.JPG
    IMG_9362.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9363.JPG
    IMG_9363.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 19
Ah yes, the "Bitpump".

I remember thinking about this concept back in 2014. You'd need to replace ASIC miners every season to stay effective, but solar might change the math a little.

If looking for energy efficient crypto "mining", you should look for coins/tokens that are POS and not POW.
POW means proof-of-work: You need to "crunch" alot of numbers and do alot of work to prove that you are legit in the block chain.
POS - means proof-of-stake: You put down a certain amount of coins/tokens, which are "locked" to prove that you are legit. If you try to deceive the block chain, and approve a non-legit transaction, you risk loosing that stake.

Ethereum is gradually moving from POW to POS. I was waiting a long time for this, but unfortunately the stake they require to put down is way too high for most of us (currently 32 ETH, which is close to 100k USD these days).
It's a shame that most of us can't do POS on Ethereum because of this.
There are other POS crypto currencies out there, but I have yet to find one that is both profitable and has a reasonable stake requirement.
If we could find something like this, it would be ideal to use solar energy, because POS usually needs very little computing resources. You just need to have the staking wallet open and online in staking mode.
This could be run on low power SBCs such as the Raspberry Pi.

If anyone knows of something like this, I would be happy to hear of it.

ASIC miners are for sale or must be custom built?
How can we use sun power that is available few hours a a day? Hydro may be ok.
What internet band is needed to mine?

Battery pay itself if used for mining?
What can do with 30kwh battery/ 3 kwp pv system?

I have used F@H to heat my condo for many years. The condo is direct electrical heating. So it's far better to use the electrical power twice. My custom water cooled wonder draws 700W, about the same as a small electrical heater.

ASIC miners are for sale or must be custom built?
How can we use sun power that is available few hours a a day? Hydro may be ok.
What internet band is needed to mine?

Battery pay itself if used for mining?
What can do with 30kwh battery/ 3 kwp pv system?
Companies sell them.
You could use a timer that turns them on and off and certain times. You could use a voltage switch that would only allow them to run when the voltage is high (sun is out). You can manually control them based on sunlight.
Almost zero bandwidth required.
If you use a profitable low energy miner then yes!
What to buy and where? This is the best I can recommend based only on these numbers.
I have higher priorities at the moment to delve into this deeper.
GOOD LUCK!!!

New guy here with a rookie question, I hope this is the right place to post it.

I'm considering putting solar one my house and am looking at two systems, both of which will leave me either a 232% offset or 179% offset.

I'm wondering if that offset would be enough to do some hobby crypto mining, not a serious pay all my bills kind of rig. Again, I'm getting the system to power my house, charge hybrid, etc.......when I saw the excess I just started wondering if I could use it.

Thanks, and I know it's a waaaayyyy rookie question. :)

Friend they make and sell units that consume about 250 watts. This might fit your kW budget. Most miners consume an INSANE amount of power. A grid tie mining plan, this might just be that way to go! Well Done!

Friend they make and sell units that consume about 250 watts. This might fit your kW budget. Most miners consume an INSANE amount of power. A grid tie mining plan, this might just be that way to go! Well Done!
Thanks for the very quick answer to what I know was a very nebulous question :)

Back