diy solar

diy solar

Converting On Grid to Hybrid

Bihon

Hello everyone, nice to see such a great community!

I live in the Netherlands, EU and have installed Solar Edge 3kW system connected on single phase 220V grid (10x300Wp JA300 panels with micro inverters) which completely satisfies my yearly needs, excluding heating. Up to now the power netting was done based on yearly difference between power delivered and power received one for one, which has been slightly in my favor: 2600 kWh produced and 2500 kWh spent. However following the ongoing development of destroying societies worldwide, among many other more serious things, the Dutch government decided to allow utility companies to hugely raise the price of kWh sold and arbitrary set the price of bought power which will be 1/10th of their price.
Of course, this calls for re-design of the existing system in order to optimize the production/usage on daily basis and my first step will be adding the off-grid option and eventually with addition of small wind turbine for winter months only. The idea is to make something like on this scheme (taken from an ATS switch ad on Alibaba):

Ats Dual Power Transfer Switch on-off-grid.jpg
This above imo assumes an off-grid inverter, so my first question will be if this would be possible in some way by keeping my existing on-grid inverter SolarEdge SH3000? If not, this will not be a big issue, but welcome saving. Also do such switches allow sending power back to the grid/my smart meter? Are they reliable?
I can add up max five more panels for 4.5 kWp total, so I could add electric water heater in order to replace my current gas powered water heater. The issue will remain with home central heating which is currently gas powered too, so the idea is to add a 3-4 kW wind turbine which could be used only for four winter months in order to lighten the gas bill, which is currently for 1800 m3/year. From what I could read the small wind turbines are not really reliable, so this could be just a remote possibility.
My next question is what equipment do I need to achieve this all? Is it as pictured above or do I need something else? What size/type of inverter, controller, switch and LiFePO4 batteries for 4.5 kWp system and about 10 kWh daily needs? How much would addition of wind generator change the equitation? Anything else I should be aware of?
Any reaction will be highly appreciated.

As you have observed, society and governments are on the verge of collapse.
If I were in your situation, I would build up my system to sustain my home and family independently of the grid, and I would disconnect my solar power system from the grid as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Back