diy solar

diy solar

Could my solar panels over work them selves and become damaged?

Farm Boy

Solar Enthusiast
I'm usually under producing but today is an exception. The temp today is 19 degrees. The sun is full, we have 4-5 inches of fresh snow on the ground. As I use the 18kpv my readings show right now to be 6320w (395w per panel) coming in. I have 8 (395w) bi fi and 8 mono (380w) in series 8-each with a voltage of 337v, as I write this. A little while ago was 6740w.(421w per panel) My figures if right come out to full rated or more. The bi-fi of the first 8 must be adding extra wattage to thous first 8.(due to snow reflex) Just wonder if it is possible for the panels to hurt them selves producing more than there rated amount? or I'm figuring this wrong.

Just wonder if it is possible for the panels to hurt them selves producing more than there rated amount?

No. Panels are rated at STC (or some other standard like NOCT) at a specific temperature and irradiance. If your ambient temperature drops lower, or you increase your irradiance due to snow, efficiency goes up and you make more power. This is perfectly normal.

The first time I saw my panels produce more than 100% of rating was almost scary. Being used to maxing out around 70-80% (at best) before then it was like something was wrong. Call it lens effect or whatever it is evidently a normal thing to happen.

However most of the time my panels are typical workers and spend as much time loafing as they can get away with. I swear I do not know why I pay for them.

Knowing this now, I just turned on all my base board electric heaters on in the house. This brought the wattage up to 7436w. That would average out to 464.75 w per panel, amassing! Before this my wattage was coming down as my battery bank was close to full charge, normal. Thought I'd use some of this energy while the sun is still up.

Back