diy solar

diy solar

Current charging and discharging amp value setting

They seem quite responsive - my questions got answered within 24h usually - often overnight, so guess the support is done out of China.

Thank you both. It's all new so reassuring comments help. I will raise a Solis support ticket to see what they say.
I'll do that before I change the AMPs from 80 to 50 and see what happens.
Thanks again
OK, so I raised a Solis ticket and based it on this:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 11.37.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 11.37.50 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 11.37.50 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 11.37.50 (3).jpeg

My Q&A:
The RED line is battery discharge???
Ans: No that is the battery SOC which is percentage of battery. but it is actually purple not a red.

Why does it show negative ie -207.06w??
Is this right?
Ans: That negative sign means battery discharging at that time 207.06w.

Also, should the current charge/discharge be set to 80 AMPs should it not be 50 AMPS??
Ans: No, it is just the range you can decide to charge your battery slow or fast.

The higher the number means more wear on the battery???
Ans: No, higher the number means you can charge your battery in less time.

Inverter is SOLIS 3kW SOL-3K-RHI-48ES-5G-DC Hybrid 5G inverter
Battery is: Pylontech 4.8kWh Pylon US5000 Li-ion

Is my set up right or does this need to be changed?
Ans: Yes, your set up is correct no issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I guess that whether its 50A or 80A it should not matter.

My next thoughts would be to see if I get another battery what benefit I would get.
The inverter is 3kW. Battery capacity is 4.8kWh.
Would the charging of the battery be limited by the inverter?
Also, if I change from 80A to 50A would that make any difference in life of the battery re cycles for charge/discharge??

So, I guess that whether its 50A or 80A it should not matter.

My next thoughts would be to see if I get another battery what benefit I would get.
The inverter is 3kW. Battery capacity is 4.8kWh.
Would the charging of the battery be limited by the inverter?
Also, if I change from 80A to 50A would that make any difference in life of the battery re cycles for charge/discharge??
I believe @MisterSandals and I have answered those questions already in posts #8 through #15.

To confirm, the Pylontech battery/batteries will inform the inverter the max rate to charge or discharge, up to any limit you set on the inverter. The RHI can only charge at max rate of 62.5A anyway.

I believe @MisterSandals and I have answered those questions already in posts #8 through #15.

To confirm, the Pylontech battery/batteries will inform the inverter the max rate to charge or discharge, up to any limit you set on the inverter. The RHI can only charge at max rate of 62.5A anyway.
Indeed you have.
I ask Bing AI for recommended AMPS rate and this is what was said:
Thank you for providing more information about your battery. According to the web search results, the RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G battery is a hybrid energy storage inverter with an integrated DC switch, compatible with both lithium and lead-acid batteries12. The nominal energy of the battery is 3600 Wh and the voltage is 48 V23. The maximum charge and discharge power is 3 kW234.

Using the formula from my previous answer, the recommended charge and discharge rate in amps for this battery is:
rate (A)=capacity (Ah)×C-ratevoltage (V)rate (A)=voltage (V)capacity (Ah)×C-rate
Since the capacity of the battery is 75 Ah2, we need to find the C-rate. One way to do this is to divide the maximum charge or discharge power by the capacity and voltage.

For example:
C-rate=maximum charge power (W)capacity (Ah)×voltage (V)C-rate=capacity (Ah)×voltage (V)maximum charge power (W)
C-rate=3000 W75 Ah×48 VC-rate=75 Ah×48 V3000 W
C-rate=0.83 CC-rate=0.83 C

Therefore, the recommended charge and discharge rate in amps for this battery is:
rate (A)=75 Ah×0.83 C48 Vrate (A)=48 V75 Ah×0.83 C
rate (A)=1.29 Arate (A)=1.29 A

This means you should set the charging current and discharge amps to 1.29 amps for this battery. However, this is a very low rate compared to the maximum rate of 62.5 amps that the battery can handle2. You can increase the rate up to 62.5 amps, but this will reduce the lifespan of the battery and increase the risk of overheating. Therefore, you should choose a rate that balances your power needs and battery health.
I hope this helps you set the charging current and discharge amps for your RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G battery. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask me. ?

And for the battery spec it says:
1703267912999.png

*: The recommended and max. continuous operation current is for a battery cell temperature within 10~40°C to consider, out of such temp. range will cause a derating on operation current.

I was getting conflict from the inverter set up with the battery set up -this happens when you are rookie.
In conclusion I don't need to change to 50A as inverter is limiting to 62.5A anyways which is what you peeps were saying!

Last edited:
Thank you for providing more information about your battery. According to the web search results, the RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G battery is a hybrid energy storage inverter with an integrated DC switch, compatible with both lithium and lead-acid batteries12. The nominal energy of the battery is 3600 Wh and the voltage is 48 V23. The maximum charge and discharge power is 3 kW234.

Using the formula from my previous answer, the recommended charge and discharge rate in amps for this battery is:
rate (A)=capacity (Ah)×C-ratevoltage (V)rate (A)=voltage (V)capacity (Ah)×C-rate
Since the capacity of the battery is 75 Ah2, we need to find the C-rate. One way to do this is to divide the maximum charge or discharge power by the capacity and voltage.

For example:
C-rate=maximum charge power (W)capacity (Ah)×voltage (V)C-rate=capacity (Ah)×voltage (V)maximum charge power (W)
C-rate=3000 W75 Ah×48 VC-rate=75 Ah×48 V3000 W
C-rate=0.83 CC-rate=0.83 C

Therefore, the recommended charge and discharge rate in amps for this battery is:
rate (A)=75 Ah×0.83 C48 Vrate (A)=48 V75 Ah×0.83 C
rate (A)=1.29 Arate (A)=1.29 A

This means you should set the charging current and discharge amps to 1.29 amps for this battery
. However, this is a very low rate compared to the maximum rate of 62.5 amps that the battery can handle2. You can increase the rate up to 62.5 amps, but this will reduce the lifespan of the battery and increase the risk of overheating. Therefore, you should choose a rate that balances your power needs and battery health.
I hope this helps you set the charging current and discharge amps for your RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G battery. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask me. ?
Good grief - especially the bits I've highlighted in bold.

It makes it all up. It has no idea about anything - this is just creative waffle.

It thinks the inverter is a battery FFS !!!!

Message to anyone on this forum... STOP USING AI. IT IS MISLEADING AT BEST AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.

Good grief! What is wrong with reading the manual?
US5000 Max charge.png
So the recommended value is 80A. You should be safe with the 62.5A your inverter can supply. Going lower will increase the battery life a bit.

Good grief - especially the bits I've highlighted in bold.

It makes it all up. It has no idea about anything - this is just creative waffle.

It thinks the inverter is a battery FFS !!!!

Message to anyone on this forum... STOP USING AI. IT IS MISLEADING AT BEST AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.
Indeed. But I was the fool for mixing inverter and battery in reality. Its my own Doh! moment.

Back