diy solar

diy solar

Current Connected waiting room

Is there any way to monitor the SOC and voltage of these server rack batteries remotely? Would prefer if there was some info about how someone can at least read that data using a Raspberry Pi.
We are working on integration with Solar Assistant. Alternatively, if you have the batteries communicating in a Victron ecosystem, the cerbo-GX will report the SOC to the VRM portal. You could also make your own cerbo-GX with your own R. PI if you don't have a Victron ecosystem.

I was interested in these "SOK" currentconnected packs, but I live in Hawaii, and your site stated you weren't willing to ship to Hawaii. The SOK branding has better name recognition than the alternatives and their aesthetic is pleasing too.

How about establishing a Hawaii distributor? Big Island has a large off grid population who can't afford simpliphi/etc.

I'm already planning on signature solar for my first server rack battery form factor install--but I talk to a lot of people about their installs so I'd like to know if we can get some better options. It's not like the shipping was free, we paid a lot to get my first couple packs headed out here.

Also, thanks currentconnected for some of your victron videos you posted in the recent past, I'm a big MultiplusII 48V fan and had watched one of your videos a few months ago when I got my new Multiplus. It was enough to consider whether we could use you for a Victron dealer on future buys, we don't have a local dealer AFAIK.

I was interested in these "SOK" currentconnected packs, but I live in Hawaii, and your site stated you weren't willing to ship to Hawaii. The SOK branding has better name recognition than the alternatives and their aesthetic is pleasing too.

How about establishing a Hawaii distributor? Big Island has a large off grid population who can't afford simpliphi/etc.

I'm already planning on signature solar for my first server rack battery form factor install--but I talk to a lot of people about their installs so I'd like to know if we can get some better options. It's not like the shipping was free, we paid a lot to get my first couple packs headed out here.

Also, thanks currentconnected for some of your victron videos you posted in the recent past, I'm a big MultiplusII 48V fan and had watched one of your videos a few months ago when I got my new Multiplus. It was enough to consider whether we could use you for a Victron dealer on future buys, we don't have a local dealer AFAIK.
We only ship to Hawaii via 3rd party freight forwarder. We recommend DHX (Dependable Hawaiian Express). Our shipping will cover shipping to DHX's dock in California, and from there arranging the rest of the shipping is the responsibility of the customer.

Glad our video helped!

We only ship to Hawaii via 3rd party freight forwarder. We recommend DHX (Dependable Hawaiian Express). Our shipping will cover shipping to DHX's dock in California, and from there arranging the rest of the shipping is the responsibility of the customer.
"Too lazy to setup LTL shipments" No thanks

Is it really a wise idea to have customers destroy the box before they are even sure the battery will power on and work. If you get any returns they might not arrive back to you in very good shape.

We ship LTL freight to DHX via FedEx. The difficult part is setting up the proper HAZMAT documents, insurance, etc.

We could do it but it wouldn't be cost effective to the end customer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! The DHX tip could change things in the future, I had a colleague with a different forwarder that had some unexpected costs come up last year with their regular commercial forwarder (one of the companies that gives us a "mainland mailbox"), and pre-shipment quotes not lining up with reality.

I'm just jealous that it was difficult to order because it seems like you're rapidly developing a solid line of products and a great reputation for working with your customers... I'm an extremely technical user with decades off-grid, I DIY most of my support, but when I refer friends to buy equipment for DIY builds, I want them to have as many resources as possible to go to (and an easy experience ordering also).

I understand Lithium battery shipping is highly regulated and expensive. That's why it's so important to me that a real battery distributor plan the entire shipment of the battery to my door. When that isn't available, it's just not a similarly feasible option for me. I truly value the service you provide by shipping Lithium batteries in a way that's legal, and safe, to the people moving them/travelling with them.

Jeeze. Been here 5 minutes. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks!!! It's good to know that you've paused to appreciate the quality of my finely crafted and highly valuable wisdom.

I understand Lithium battery shipping is highly regulated and expensive. That's why it's so important to me that a real battery distributor plan the entire shipment of the battery to my door. When that isn't available
Good luck with that. Everyone who sells rack mount batteries seems to be out of stock within days of there arrival.
Why would any company want to spend the time and money to make a difficult sale when so many easy ones are right at their doorstep?

Is it really a wise idea to have customers destroy the box before they are even sure the battery will power on and work. If you get any returns they might not arrive back to you in very good shape.
The batteries are HEAVY and hard to just deadlift out of the box. @Will Prowse can chime in since we just replaced 2 of the prototypes he had with production models. He will test our strategy.

We heavily considered how important keeping the box together for returns would be. Since the shipment would have to be returned via freight, the structure of the box is not such a big deal since most of the protection comes from being strapped to the pallet. If we were sending ground, that would be a totally different scenario.

In ~90% of cases if the battery doesn't work, it's either something that we can get repaired easily in-field, or severe shipping damage where a FedEx would be paying a claim out for a replacement. In this case, we probably wouldn't want to ship a damaged battery...HAZMAT regulations would be on us in an instant!!!

For the remaining very small fraction we could send an empty box if push came to shove. At the end of the day we would make sure a return is handled properly to keep everyone and everything safe.

We would rather the greatest majority of cases where stuff arrives in perfect condition be safely unboxed. It's not worth saving a $3 box to risk dropping a $1700+ battery. Imagine if that battery fell on your toe because you didn't have a good grip on it. That's a trip to the ER that could cost more than the whole system!

The batteries are HEAVY and hard to just deadlift out of the box. @Will Prowse can chime in since we just replaced 2 of the prototypes he had with production models. He will test our strategy.

We heavily considered how important keeping the box together for returns would be. Since the shipment would have to be returned via freight, the structure of the box is not such a big deal since most of the protection comes from being strapped to the pallet. If we were sending ground, that would be a totally different scenario.

In ~90% of cases if the battery doesn't work, it's either something that we can get repaired easily in-field, or severe shipping damage where a FedEx would be paying a claim out for a replacement. In this case, we probably wouldn't want to ship a damaged battery...HAZMAT regulations would be on us in an instant!!!

For the remaining very small fraction we could send an empty box if push came to shove. At the end of the day we would make sure a return is handled properly to keep everyone and everything safe.

We would rather the greatest majority of cases where stuff arrives in perfect condition be safely unboxed. It's not worth saving a $3 box to risk dropping a $1700+ battery. Imagine if that battery fell on your toe because you didn't have a good grip on it. That's a trip to the ER that could cost more than the whole system!
Up to you, I keep all my Boxes for a period of time because I know returning the Item without the original shipping box is really tedious and time consuming.

One other thing to note, the post style terminals on the SOK allow for direct connection of cables as large as 4/0. The 4/0 terminals will not fit between the plastic guards on the eg4 batteries.

Good morning Dexter,

Do you have any specific delivery acceptance instructions? E.g.: damaged box or damaged battery.

-photograph and accept.
-photograph and inspect.
-accept with damage to box.
-reject with damage to box and battery.
-etc.

And is signature required for these? And how do you want damage notated on receipt?

Thanks

Awesome! If damage, do not accept the shipment and contact us immediately. (725) 258-2700

Argh. Fed ex being even less charming than usual. Out for delivery today means they want to schedule a time for Thursday. They can give me an 8 hour window. come on guys.

Not particularly happy with these sitting in a hot truck for another couple of days as 100 eff. I am going to go to Round Rock and pick up this afternoon.

Wonder how much temp controlled shipping would have cost?

Killer! When are you putting them into service?

That composite pallet is so much better than the crap wooden ones these days.

I gotta admit, I might have judged Will a little using that battery lifting table of his. No more, I’ve seen the light! These suckers are dense.?

It didn’t occur to me until I got home but I wish I’d kept the pallet. Dang it. I’ve been looking for one of those.

No damage to the boxes. Got them all inside where they will sit until installed this Fall. In an air conditioned box of some sort.

Some pics for those interested. Initial voltage 17.64

I went ahead and ordered a charger from current connected as well. I’m thinking I’ll charge them up, find someway to discharge a bit, then store at home in the air con until september

70B618E3-A3E5-4722-A334-844415BBDCF6.jpegFD83A08E-7915-4B9A-BD2D-C29B4CE18896.jpeg

Attachments

• E628F8D1-F2DC-43CE-8ABD-8B8230748E29.jpeg
    E628F8D1-F2DC-43CE-8ABD-8B8230748E29.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
  • A6548652-4E20-47C8-AE43-EE50B0D8D91F.jpeg
    A6548652-4E20-47C8-AE43-EE50B0D8D91F.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 3
  • 78D7B8BD-B552-480D-A017-F96155DD68A4.jpeg
    78D7B8BD-B552-480D-A017-F96155DD68A4.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 4

diy solar

diy solar