diy solar

diy solar

Current leak from PV panel

syphonics

Hi I just realized my whole PV array with the aluminums stands are all with current leakages, accidentally touch the structure and got current flowing through me.
My PV array is not grounded, should I ground it to my utilities grounding?

And I found this during the night when there is no sun, how could my array has current when there is no sun ? I measured my array DC voltage to be only 4-5v due to lack of sun.

It is required by code to ground the frames, for the exact reason about capacitive coupling causing the stray voltage.

My PV array is not grounded
There's the problem.
should I ground it to my utilities grounding?
Absolutely
And I found this during the night when there is no sun, how could my array has current when there is no sun ? I measured my array DC voltage to be only 4-5v due to lack of sun.
I will assume that you have an AIO (All In One) unit.
The AC and DC is not isolated. AC is what you felt.

Yes, I have an AIO hybrid inverter.
How do I test with multimeter if there is leak?
I have taken my multimeter and measured where I felt the leak. Both for AC/DC, and volts and amps. Sometimes this works, other times not.

There's the problem.

Absolutely

I will assume that you have an AIO (All In One) unit.
The AC and DC is not isolated. AC is what you felt.
Learned that one the fun way...metal shaft screwdriver with plastic handle, tightening down the PV wires from the inverter at the disconnect located at the array, finger slipped and touched the shaft ⚡⚡quite the tingle. Went inside, grabbed another beverage and threw the DC disconnect at the inverter....

Yes, I have an AIO hybrid inverter.
How do I test with multimeter if there is leak?
Don't need to test. You have already felt it.
Now, ground your array properly. To your existing grounding system.
Then, everything will be safe to touch.

Ground it and look for a real problem. That tickle is normal for an un grounded frame.

Back