diy solar

diy solar

Daly Clone of a Clone - Daly BMS vs HEYO BMS

thedodgersonline

Hello everybody.
Went looking for a new BMS (16S LiFePO4) just to see what is out there and seeing how the new Daly BMS is trucking and (as Ali does) it three in a few random BMS for me to look at. So there is a BMS called a HEYO and apart from being Black ( as opposed to Daly Red) it is the splitting image - it even has the same inaccuracies in the ad. Pricing is about the same however shipping is Free ( as opposed to Daly’s shipping rip off) which saves about 35% on a Bluetooth BMS with a display.
Any used one of these BMS or have any feedback?

Attachments

• 909FFE68-3C17-4267-B36E-C50FF6A249E1.png
    909FFE68-3C17-4267-B36E-C50FF6A249E1.png
    499.6 KB · Views: 34
  • E1C5BF11-77C6-4D44-9D52-A1E03F7977FF.png
    E1C5BF11-77C6-4D44-9D52-A1E03F7977FF.png
    823.5 KB · Views: 35
If you purchase from the "SmartBMS" store - noted as Daly's second store or the "DALYBMS store", they offer free shipping and mostly the same products.

If you purchase from the "SmartBMS" store - noted as Daly's second store or the "DALYBMS store", they offer free shipping and mostly the same products.
Hi
This was from the AliExpress Daly shop. Shipping of each module $26.90. Interestingly the cost of shipping of the Bluetooth module was the same as the BMS itself - so in my view they are just margin stacking.

regards

Attachments

• 11E75CF8-F7D3-4146-A09E-8E32A38B42B4.png
    11E75CF8-F7D3-4146-A09E-8E32A38B42B4.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 16
Hi,

Just recent info, might fit here...

I bought 4s 12v LiFePO4 - 250AMP Common Smart BT Daly BMS from - Store name: thanksforyou Store, and item arrived with the BT dongle but without NTC thermistor sensor.

Took us a couple weeks of around the world messaging to get to possible problem that the NTC thermistor was not plugged into the BMS... The store did not include the NTC in the box with the BMS, box was a repackage too, it was not a Daly BMS packaging... While still arguing with seller, I ordered some 10k thermistors from Amazon, 5 for $10 and broke the plastic from the 2 pin connector around the wires on the thermistor wire so I could slip the crimped connector wire ends onto the pins on the BMS.

IT WORKS, charged today at 35 AMP and discharged up to 85 amps so far.

Seller is sending a DTC thermistor with the correct connector to make everything OKAY...

BMS is going into a van build with a Aims 3000 watt inverter/charger and 3-200 watt (600 watt) solar panels and Renogy Solar/DC-DC charger setup.

The shipping for the BT purchased with the BMS was included, but I think it was a "free" shipping advertisement on Aliexpress... copy below

Last week, during the delay, got nervous and ordered a "Superior 250 Amp Common BMS from - Store: SmartBms Store, with $23 FexEx shipping so I'll have that Monday. see below

Just thought to pass info along... Looks like the SMART BMS needs NTC plugged in to make it operate properly, at least this one did... "ERROR was low temp -40C" from the BT App. Would not allow charge or discharge without the NTC.

Notes to supplier describing issue...
PROBLEM 1.jpg TEMP PROBLEM SCREEN.jpg

Also looks like Store: SmartBms Store is NOW bundling the BT and UART cable with the BT Smart MBS now, no need to order separately ...

Jim

Smart
daly1.JPG
Superior
daly2.JPG

Some more info:

I checked on the shipping charges from the Daly Factory Store site on Aliexpress today:
BMS link:
Store link:

When I set-up order for SMART BMS, UART cable and BT dongle with $22 express shipping added, the store only added the shipping charge to the BMS and lfet free shipping on the other items, NICE:

Jim

PS: We installed BMS in Van Build yesterday and it all worked nicely, photo below...
Daly Store no double shipping.JPG

Build complete (almost):

IMG_20201017_173500872.jpg

Some more info:

I checked on the shipping charges from the Daly Factory Store site on Aliexpress today:
BMS link:
Store link:

When I set-up order for SMART BMS, UART cable and BT dongle with $22 express shipping added, the store only added the shipping charge to the BMS and lfet free shipping on the other items, NICE:

Jim

PS: We installed BMS in Van Build yesterday and it all worked nicely, photo below...
View attachment 25308

Build complete (almost):

View attachment 25309
Hi
That is weird - it is a Deligreen BMS being sold by the "Official" Daly store. Yet when you buy the "official" Daly product from the "Official: Daly store they add the same shipping cost to every item (this can be seen in the screen shot) Went back and reselected the same products and the shipping cost is the same - $26. per item.

Regards

I've ordered from this "Factory" store before, they have been around since 2018... It was a good purchase.

Did you see that "SmartBMS Store" includes BT and UART with BMS and without having to order separately?

I've gotten BMS from them too, no problems!

Jim

Hi,

Just recent info, might fit here...

I bought 4s 12v LiFePO4 - 250AMP Common Smart BT Daly BMS from - Store name: thanksforyou Store, and item arrived with the BT dongle but without NTC thermistor sensor.

Took us a couple weeks of around the world messaging to get to possible problem that the NTC thermistor was not plugged into the BMS... The store did not include the NTC in the box with the BMS, box was a repackage too, it was not a Daly BMS packaging... While still arguing with seller, I ordered some 10k thermistors from Amazon, 5 for $10 and broke the plastic from the 2 pin connector around the wires on the thermistor wire so I could slip the crimped connector wire ends onto the pins on the BMS.

IT WORKS, charged today at 35 AMP and discharged up to 85 amps so far.

Seller is sending a DTC thermistor with the correct connector to make everything OKAY...

BMS is going into a van build with a Aims 3000 watt inverter/charger and 3-200 watt (600 watt) solar panels and Renogy Solar/DC-DC charger setup.

The shipping for the BT purchased with the BMS was included, but I think it was a "free" shipping advertisement on Aliexpress... copy below

Last week, during the delay, got nervous and ordered a "Superior 250 Amp Common BMS from - Store: SmartBms Store, with $23 FexEx shipping so I'll have that Monday. see below

Just thought to pass info along... Looks like the SMART BMS needs NTC plugged in to make it operate properly, at least this one did... "ERROR was low temp -40C" from the BT App. Would not allow charge or discharge without the NTC.

Notes to supplier describing issue...
View attachment 25241 View attachment 25242

Also looks like Store: SmartBms Store is NOW bundling the BT and UART cable with the BT Smart MBS now, no need to order separately ...

Jim

Smart
View attachment 25239
Superior
View attachment 25240
How do you like the Daly Superior BMS ?
Looking to have the same.

Received new set of (16) 200AH CALB cells 2 days ago and have just finished topping them off (parallel) for top balancing.

Replacing 200Ah set, was not enough to take us through the nights.

Built the 24V 400AH battery today and start it up with the Superior 200 amp Daly BMS on a pair of LV24234's from usa-mpp-solar. A photo is of initial 12v charging of half the cells, and then finished install. Now have to remember all the LV settings to make it work best with more batteries... I've been running a 60Amp Daly with no issues, hope the 100 amp charge capacity and 200 amp discharge on the 400 Ahr bank will do the trick. Will test over next few days and post again...
IMG_20201102_161357918.jpgIMG_20201104_092549977.jpg

Some more info:

BMS link:
Store link:

Jim

View attachment 25308

Build complete (almost):

View attachment 25309

Hi Jim,

I've got the same van and am building a similar setup with 4s2p 280ah cells. Just curious how you bundled the cells together. Looks like plastic wrap? How are you planning to secure it to the floor/wall?

Cheers,
Zach

Zach,

So yes I used plastic wrap:
AND
On the sides and bottom I first taped cut, a little undersize, some pieces of 1/8" hardboard (Masonite) - Here is link to 4'x8' sheet FYI

With the stack of cells sitting on the bottom of the cells, tape a sheet of masonite (cut maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller than the combined cells stack dimension) onto each side of the stack, covering the gaps between the cells, and wrap the stretch wrap around the stack maybe 8 to 10 times.
This helps keep the cells from trying to shift front to back w.r.t. each other. Then I stand the pack on end and tape a 1/8 masonite sheet to the bottom of the cells covering the gaps between the cells.

Then the wrap has to turn completely over when stretching across the top of the cells so it lays between the connection post areas. and then spreads back to the 5 inch width to wrap the other three sides. Again maybe 7 to 10 wraps at covering each gap between cells.

I've done this on 4 and 8 cell stacks, It seems to work well. My 8 cell 200 Ahr stack weighs 82 pounds so maybe you want to make sure you can move it around safely. Much heavier and I might use a different base board material and extend it outside the stack for fixing straps for hoisting it around or for mounting it to floor...

IMG_20200630_110827243_HDR.jpg

My van builder, just fastened stop rails to the floor around the battery for install, I think he used like 1" angle for a couple sides and a 1x2 pine board on the back side to keep it off the wall... He ended up building a box over the battery...

2397242982908303044.jpg

Jim

Zach,

AND
On the sides and bottom I first taped cut, a little undersize, some pieces of 1/8" hardboard (Masonite) - Here is link to 4'x8' sheet FYI

With the stack of cells sitting on the bottom of the cells, tape a sheet of masonite (cut maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller than the combined cells stack dimension) onto each side of the stack, covering the gaps between the cells, and wrap the stretch wrap around the stack maybe 8 to 10 times.
This helps keep the cells from trying to shift front to back w.r.t. each other. Then I stand the pack on end and tape a 1/8 masonite sheet to the bottom of the cells covering the gaps between the cells.

Then the wrap has to turn completely over when stretching across the top of the cells so it lays between the connection post areas. and then spreads back to the 5 inch width to wrap the other three sides. Again maybe 7 to 10 wraps at covering each gap between cells.

I've done this on 4 and 8 cell stacks, It seems to work well. My 8 cell 200 Ahr stack weighs 82 pounds so maybe you want to make sure you can move it around safely. Much heavier and I might use a different base board material and extend it outside the stack for fixing straps for hoisting it around or for mounting it to floor...

View attachment 29019

My van builder, just fastened stop rails to the floor around the battery for install, I think he used like 1" angle for a couple sides and a 1x2 pine board on the back side to keep it off the wall... He ended up building a box over the battery...

View attachment 29020

Jim
Those are some heavy gauge wires there. What's the renogy MPPT ? and blue is inverter ?
Any chance you measured your no load current from the battery ? Just BMS on, I'm wondering how much power the Daly BMS uses with no load. Also curious about the voltage drop from BMS input to BMS output.

The Renogy is a DCC50S it's a 50 amp (max) combination solar charge controller and DC DC charger.
Manual link: https://www.renogy.com/content/RNG-DCC1212-20-BC/DCC1212-204060-Manual.pdf
Watch the operating specs closely if have an interest. It will max out at 25 Amps each side if both DC DC charging AND solar charging are operating at the same time.

The big blue box is the Sun gold power 3000 amp combination charger/inverter/transfer switch unit. The first one we received (Amazon) smoked at startup and the support wanted us to tear it down and they would send parts. Lots of arguing and Amazon helped to get it returned. Bought same unit with a warrantee through Walmart site and love it so far! Has an onboard 90 Amp 12v battery charger with a current limiter knob...
Here is the Amazon info on the inverter/charger:

The Sun gold power manual specifies minimum 90mm2 copper conductor for the battery to inverter cables so we put in 4/0 cable. It feels like overkill too but 3000watts /12volts = 250 amps so maybe it's not a bad call...

We set up both units for their Gel battery settings, neither has a user defined battery charging setting. But Gel floats at 13.8 volts and I think running the batteries in that middle 80 percent SOC (state of charge) zone is best, easier said than done maybe!

Rest of equipment - we put 3 each 200/210 watt NewPowa's NPA210-12H, 210W 12V Mono panels on the van roof and a combiner box up there to run the solar panels (3P) at 20.3 Voc volts and around 35 Imp (amps). It fit well with the Renogy DCC50S.
Panel Link: https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Monc...1&keywords=new+powa+200&qid=1606862768&sr=8-1

Also liked the panels because they are 64.5 inches and reach rail to rail on the roof without extra framing, if we think they want to flutter, we can stiffen the frame if needed...

So I never put the meter on both sides of the BMS to check power usage at idle from it, can't imagine it's a lot... Maybe others have?

Hope it helps.
Jim

Hi
This was from the AliExpress Daly shop. Shipping of each module $26.90. Interestingly the cost of shipping of the Bluetooth module was the same as the BMS itself - so in my view they are just margin stacking.

regards
Hi
I ended up buying direct from the Daly store on AliBaba and paid US$30 for shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks. Still waiting for my batteries to arrive before I install it so will post here how it goes.
Regards

Zach,

AND

View attachment 29019

View attachment 29020

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like a great way to make a solid pack, I might give it a try. Good luck with your build!

Cheers,
Zach

Hi
I ended up buying direct from the Daly store on AliBaba and paid US$30 for shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks. Still waiting for my batteries to arrive before I install it so will post here how it goes.
Regards
Good choice. If most people are using Daly is because of something.

I didn't ask and try a HEYO, I bought the smart one with separate port. The app is the same (smart bms).

But I can't say is a good choice, still in dispute and talking with them but, very good words and quick answers before purchasing, now with problems with the BMS is not like that.

I can´t switch on/off Charge/discharge with the app, it doesn't balance at all, doing test with small 18650 for low cap., using clamp ammeter, different voltages, the last test was with a wired ammeter, and I found that if you remove some wires, the BMS is still working.

Not to recommend. Will upload some videos and start a thread to show it to everyone.

The Renogy is a DCC50S it's a 50 amp (max) combination solar charge controller and DC DC charger.
Manual link: https://www.renogy.com/content/RNG-DCC1212-20-BC/DCC1212-204060-Manual.pdf
Watch the operating specs closely if have an interest. It will max out at 25 Amps each side if both DC DC charging AND solar charging are operating at the same time.

The big blue box is the Sun gold power 3000 amp combination charger/inverter/transfer switch unit. The first one we received (Amazon) smoked at startup and the support wanted us to tear it down and they would send parts. Lots of arguing and Amazon helped to get it returned. Bought same unit with a warrantee through Walmart site and love it so far! Has an onboard 90 Amp 12v battery charger with a current limiter knob...
Here is the Amazon info on the inverter/charger:

The Sun gold power manual specifies minimum 90mm2 copper conductor for the battery to inverter cables so we put in 4/0 cable. It feels like overkill too but 3000watts /12volts = 250 amps so maybe it's not a bad call...

We set up both units for their Gel battery settings, neither has a user defined battery charging setting. But Gel floats at 13.8 volts and I think running the batteries in that middle 80 percent SOC (state of charge) zone is best, easier said than done maybe!

Rest of equipment - we put 3 each 200/210 watt NewPowa's NPA210-12H, 210W 12V Mono panels on the van roof and a combiner box up there to run the solar panels (3P) at 20.3 Voc volts and around 35 Imp (amps). It fit well with the Renogy DCC50S.
Panel Link: https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Monc...1&keywords=new+powa+200&qid=1606862768&sr=8-1

Also liked the panels because they are 64.5 inches and reach rail to rail on the roof without extra framing, if we think they want to flutter, we can stiffen the frame if needed...

So I never put the meter on both sides of the BMS to check power usage at idle from it, can't imagine it's a lot... Maybe others have?

Hope it helps.
Jim
Knowing the usage will allow you to know what's your nominal parasitic discharge without load. I hope it's a very low number so the VAN can be inside a garage for a month before the battery gets discharged.

Hello everybody.
Went looking for a new BMS (16S LiFePO4) just to see what is out there and seeing how the new Daly BMS is trucking and (as Ali does) it three in a few random BMS for me to look at. So there is a BMS called a HEYO and apart from being Black ( as opposed to Daly Red) it is the splitting image - it even has the same inaccuracies in the ad. Pricing is about the same however shipping is Free ( as opposed to Daly’s shipping rip off) which saves about 35% on a Bluetooth BMS with a display.
Any used one of these BMS or have any feedback?
I bought the smart HEYO 4S 12V 100A (and yes it's black).

It is is the same thing as the DALY. In other words a clone. For the software HEYO refers to the Daly website.
With the Sinowealth software you can read the manufacturer from the unit, and it shows DALY - DALY.

I guess just an extra sales label with different pricing?

Last edited:
Back