diy solar

diy solar

Day time use air con

AT123

I'm new here and becoming more interested in solar. I found this website by accident trying to figure out why my renogy battery monitor wasn't showing the charge, solved! I have a cabin in the Texas Hill Country that I currently have an 4s2p 800w setup with 3x100ah lifepo4 batteries, victron 150/35 and renogy 1000w inverter to keep my fridge running all the time (we turn off the electric to the cabin when not there).

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but trying to word the question correctly is difficult.

Not wanting to disturb that setup much my wife and I were looking into the possibilities of running a small window AC or portable room AC with solar during the day, to help maintain the cabin when we're not there and also to just help reduce our dependence if we lose power and it's 105+ outside. I'm looking at buying 4x220w panels at the moment but haven't figured out the rest of it yet.

I've read its not advised to run without batteries, need something to ensure smooth voltage to the inverter and then the AC. Since I'm primarily wanting to run it during the day, how would I size a battery for that? I'm sure the A/C would cause a significant drain even with panels charging but wouldn't that be pretty tough on the battery?

The biggest hurdle will be getting another inverter to handle the load of the Aircon unit. You can get a larger 12v inverter and just turn it off when you don't need the aircon to save power. That would just go in parallel with your existing setup.

Another option is getting one of the solar mini splits that EG4 has and the smallest 48v battery which is usually 100ah which would be plenty for your use case.

I'm new here and becoming more interested in solar. I found this website by accident trying to figure out why my renogy battery monitor wasn't showing the charge, solved! I have a cabin in the Texas Hill Country that I currently have an 4s2p 800w setup with 3x100ah lifepo4 batteries, victron 150/35 and renogy 1000w inverter to keep my fridge running all the time (we turn off the electric to the cabin when not there).

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but trying to word the question correctly is difficult.

Not wanting to disturb that setup much my wife and I were looking into the possibilities of running a small window AC or portable room AC with solar during the day, to help maintain the cabin when we're not there and also to just help reduce our dependence if we lose power and it's 105+ outside. I'm looking at buying 4x220w panels at the moment but haven't figured out the rest of it yet.

I've read its not advised to run without batteries, need something to ensure smooth voltage to the inverter and then the AC. Since I'm primarily wanting to run it during the day, how would I size a battery for that? I'm sure the A/C would cause a significant drain even with panels charging but wouldn't that be pretty tough on the battery?
If you buy a window AC look for one that is an inverter. Or go with a minisplit

That EG4 solar minisplit would be ideal for this situation. Just plug in a few solar panels and you get heating and cooling ... no extra charge controllers or inverters needed. It also has an AC input that you could plug into your existing solar power system or a generator if you want to run the unit after the sun goes down.

Wow that's an awesome minisplit, I'd looked into the Mr.Cool but the amp draws were so high I know the Renogy inverters max at 30amp output from the hardwire.

I've read its not advised to run without batteries, need something to ensure smooth voltage to the inverter and then the AC. Since I'm primarily wanting to run it during the day Maxim Air AC Company, how would I size a battery for that? I'm sure the A/C would cause a significant drain even with panels charging but wouldn't that be pretty tough on the battery?
I'm thinking about getting air conditioning installed at home and so far have narrowed it down to a multi-split air conditioning system with either 2 or 3 heads (I think that's the correct term for an indoor unit).

The rooms being cooled aren't enormous, 2 of them are about 16m2 the third potential room is approximately 26m2.

There are loads of manufacturers and I haven't been able to find a recent comparison so was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience.
So far I'm thinking of the Daikin Ururu Sarara or the LG Dualcool inverter systems.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

I'm thinking about getting air conditioning installed at home and so far have narrowed it down to a multi-split air conditioning system with either 2 or 3 heads (I think that's the correct term for an indoor unit).

The rooms being cooled aren't enormous, 2 of them are about 16m2 the third potential room is approximately 26m2.

There are loads of manufacturers and I haven't been able to find a recent comparison so was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience.
So far I'm thinking of the Daikin Ururu Sarara or the LG Dualcool inverter systems.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
I recommend you start a new thread on this.

If you really just need two or three heads the mini-split would work.

I have central air and considered replacing the central air with a four head mini-split, but have opted against it. There were three smaller areas that the central air takes care of that the mini-split would not: The Pantry, laundry room, and bathroom. With temps reaching 115F for days at a time, I decided that I would need a seven head mini-split.

diy solar

diy solar
Back