diy solar

diy solar

DC 2 DC charging not solar?

Marshall

Building a Sprinter with plan for 600 amp hour Li bank 24 volt system. Looking at:

Have you heard of these? Battery to battery with programmable settings. Battleborn endorsed!

As the technical support manager for the largest stocking Sterling distributor in the continental US, I'd like to clarify that what Sterling means when they call it a "smart" charger is not the same thing that a few other manufacturers mean; the device is highly intelligent and has plenty of selectable charge profiles including LFP and custom-set profiles, but does not have Bluetooth functionality, which is what comes to many people's minds when they hear "smart".
Can confirm, however, that -once properly installed and programmed- these are extremely robust and dependable devices... there are plenty of off-brand knockoffs available at half the cost, but the dependability of these is well worth the additional cost, at least to the mind of any serious user.

I'll also add that Victron Energy will be releasing a battery-to-battery charger in Europe at the end of this year; we'll see it in the US around the end of January. That actually will be "smart" in that, like all other Smart Victron products, you can program and monitor the device over BT on your smartphone via Victron's proprietary (but free, and ad-free) VictronConnect app.

@Justin Laureltec - thanks for the update on the Victron DC-DC Smart charger. I watched their alternator charging video the second it was released. I was excited when Jono mentioned it at the end. I guess this means I'll have a new-in-box, never installed Redarc 40A DC-DC converter for sale soon :)

I'm waiting for the new Valence charger to come out, I hope it's soon (and not too expensive!).

Looking at a 2 stage purchase working towards a 600 amp hour system or 300 amp hour 24 volt system comprised of 6 100 amp hour Battleborn. To conserve on cash flow I was going with just 2 or if that creates a problem with this inverter maybe 4 for starters. The attached quote is $3500 for two batteries only and the bundle with 6 batteries is around 6800 complete.

Any alternatives come to mind?

Attachments

• BBSalesQuote SO-10571 for Marshall.pdf
    44.2 KB · Views: 10
Looking at a 2 stage purchase working towards a 600 amp hour system or 300 amp hour 24 volt system comprised of 6 100 amp hour Battleborn. To conserve on cash flow I was going with just 2 or if that creates a problem with this inverter maybe 4 for starters. The attached quote is $3500 for two batteries only and the bundle with 6 batteries is around 6800 complete.

Any alternatives come to mind?
I'd say the pricing and items look fundamentally good, and those 2 BBs will support your 24v Multi just fine (though for how long obviously depends on your loads), so no problems there. Personally I'd like to see a BEP battery switch in there so that you can physically disconnect your Multi from the battery bank if necessary, without getting in there and undoing lugs. I'd also recommend at least one NEG bus to connect to the "loads and chargers" side of your BMV shunt; the bolt that comes on these isn't terribly long, so if you have more than a couple load/charger/chassis NEGs to connect to it, a busbar comes in super handy.
...I don't see a 24 to 12 converter in there anywhere, which you'll need to be able to power your standard 12v loads; likewise for their BIM, I'm assuming that your start batt is 12v and you're evidently planning a 24v aux bank, so that BIM isn't going to do you much good without a 12-24 converter on the end of it. This sort of thing is why we rarely recommend a 24v system in a 12v native chassis, because you end up spending enough in up- and down-conversion to usable voltage that the savings are usually pretty minimal. That being said, the 12v Multi would definitely need a 3rd BB100 to power it, so... in the end, even after the converters, you'll still save a bit.
The last particular thing I see missing is whether or not they're going to program the Multi for you before they ship it; if not, you'll need to add the cost of an MK3 to USB Adapter to the price, which is what you need to interface with the Multi through your laptop to get it programmed. It's not bad, they run about $68.83 each, but it's an item to consider. BB is generally pretty great to work with, though, they'll likely program it for you... just make sure to mention it.

I'll also add that Victron Energy will be releasing a battery-to-battery charger in Europe at the end of this year; we'll see it in the US around the end of January. That actually will be "smart" in that, like all other Smart Victron products, you can program and monitor the device over BT on your smartphone via Victron's proprietary (but free, and ad-free) VictronConnect app.
I have one coming (12v-30a) and it will be here mid November. Replacing my CTEK with it.

I have one coming (12v-30a) and it will be here mid November. Replacing my CTEK with it.
Hmmm well the 12-12 isn't even in stock in Holland yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that; even when these are in stock in the Netherlands, it'll still take more than a month to get stateside. At least the 24-24 and the 12-24 are in Netherlands stock; that's good to know and a little odd since they haven't officially announced the release yet. I'll stand by my estimate of January delivery stateside :p

I'd say the pricing and items look fundamentally good, and those 2 BBs will support your 24v Multi just fine (though for how long obviously depends on your loads), so no problems there. Personally I'd like to see a BEP battery switch in there so that you can physically disconnect your Multi from the battery bank if necessary, without getting in there and undoing lugs. I'd also recommend at least one NEG bus to connect to the "loads and chargers" side of your BMV shunt; the bolt that comes on these isn't terribly long, so if you have more than a couple load/charger/chassis NEGs to connect to it, a busbar comes in super handy.
...I don't see a 24 to 12 converter in there anywhere, which you'll need to be able to power your standard 12v loads; likewise for their BIM, I'm assuming that your start batt is 12v and you're evidently planning a 24v aux bank, so that BIM isn't going to do you much good without a 12-24 converter on the end of it. This sort of thing is why we rarely recommend a 24v system in a 12v native chassis, because you end up spending enough in up- and down-conversion to usable voltage that the savings are usually pretty minimal. That being said, the 12v Multi would definitely need a 3rd BB100 to power it, so... in the end, even after the converters, you'll still save a bit.
The last particular thing I see missing is whether or not they're going to program the Multi for you before they ship it; if not, you'll need to add the cost of an MK3 to USB Adapter to the price, which is what you need to interface with the Multi through your laptop to get it programmed. It's not bad, they run about $68.83 each, but it's an item to consider. BB is generally pretty great to work with, though, they'll likely program it for you... just make sure to mention it.
Well thanks for confirming what I did figured out on the 24V (switched to 12V) system that it makes more sense to go with 12V for the reasons you mentioned and heavy full-time use of 110V. The other realization is that with a 220 amp alternator I need to start out with 4 of the 100 amp hour Battleborn (fishing for alternative) batteries up front to allow the use of the BIM charging at 50 amps/battery. With only 2 batteries I would have initially required the Sterling which later at 6 batteries would have charged much too slow. The BEP battery switch and seconding the change to a 12V system over 24V ( no need BB100) are great suggestions. I'm at $5000 now with 4 batteries. Thanks for the second opinion...

Hmmm well the 12-12 isn't even in stock in Holland yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that; even when these are in stock in the Netherlands, it'll still take more than a month to get stateside. At least the 24-24 and the 12-24 are in Netherlands stock; that's good to know and a little odd since they haven't officially announced the release yet. I'll stand by my estimate of January delivery stateside :p
Its not what you know its who. Do you want to put a bet on the fact that I get it before December? ? Since you're a distributor I still need a BMV 712. We could bet one of those. Let me know! ??

Its not what you know its who. Do you want to put a bet on the fact that I get it before December? ? Since you're a distributor I still need a BMV 712. We could bet one of those. Let me know! ??
LOL I do agree, but since I know Matthijs, I feel pretty confident in my estimate unless he's literally flying one over for you personally, which is pretty doubtful... Then again, I've seen stranger things. Well, tell you what, split the difference, you post a pic of you holding a 12/12-30 before the end of November and I'll sell you a BMV-712 at wholesale, how's that ?

Back