diy solar

diy solar

DC Device Charging Extension

Itsuo

Quick question, my Goal Zero Yeti 3000 charges off of solar exclusively. I have a low constant load on it for devices like my modem, router, security cameras, etc. One other thing I like to do is charge my devices from it daily (phone, tablet, smart watch, etc.). I used to do it directly from the Yeti but I’ve just reconfigured my room and now my bed is about 8 feet from my Yeti and its no longer as convenient to plug them in directly.

I’m currently using an AC extension cable and plugging into that. Thinking about it, I think it’s a waste to do DC -> AC -> DC to charge these. Is that right?

I‘m thinking of buying a 6mm 12v extension cable that can bridge the gap and then installing a 6mm to 12v cigarette lighter adapter and then finally a 12v USB hub charger sold for cars (which I already own).
1616872487181.jpeg
1616871889311.jpeg
1616872211770.jpeg

Does this make any sense? Is there an easier option to extend DC power across my room to charge my devices into, or are the losses going to AC and back not enough to go through all of this trouble?

Back