diy solar

diy solar

DC to DC charger Small RV system

GlennDale

Reworking my small RV system. Currently 400 watts of panels, a 20 amp MPPT charger controller and 200 amps of FLA batteries. The FLA are getting long in the tooth so I am upgrading to a single 100 amp LiFe04. My DC demands are modest, a diesel heater and lights. Renology are selling their 20 amp DC to DC chargers pretty cheap now and I am thinking about picking one up. My concern is if it will kill my alternator. I have read all sort of stories about alternators dying from to much amperage draw. In my case I never draw the batteries down more that 10% or so overnight. So the soon to be installed LiFe04 battery will need little to top it off in the AM. I run no inverters that can draw the batteries down to much. Should I be concerned about premature alternator death? Or would I be OK. The RV is an 88 Toyota RV with a stock alternator. Your feedback is welcomed. Thanks

That's the point of DC-DC chargers - they output far less than a direct connect alternator preventing alternators from destroying themselves.

Question becomes: Can your alternator handle an additional 20-25A of load above baseline without failing?

Should I be concerned about premature alternator death
Think not. Stock alternator is 60 or 70 amps, ( UK spec, guess same for yours) so 20 to 25 amps plus vehicle requirements should be within the alternators capacity.
The Renogy DC charger needs an activation signal, either D+ or ign on. An alternative (more expensive) DC charger thats recomended , is the Victron Orion 12 12 18. The advantage of the Victron is that no activation signal is need, it auto switches on/off related to alternator output volts, a further advantage is that you have, via the phone app, complete user control of charge voltages.

Thanks for the input. I feel comfortable that my alternator will handle the amperage demand. I will read the product manual for the Victron unit. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Back