diy solar

diy solar

Dead Victron solar controller?

Maximum series fuse rating being 10 amps. When you have 5 panels paralleled on one harness you are subjecting all panels to much more current than they are built to handle regardless of wire size.

• Max Power at STC: 100W
  • Open Circuit Voltage: 21.2V
  • Short Circuit Current: 6.10A
  • Opitmum Operating Voltage: 17.7V
  • Optimum Operating Current: 5.70A
  • Operating Temperature: -40°F to 176°F
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600VDC UL
  • Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 10A

Maximum series fuse rating being 10 amps. When you have 5 panels paralleled on one harness you are subjecting all panels to much more current than they are built to handle regardless of wire size.
  • Max Power at STC: 100W
  • Open Circuit Voltage: 21.2V
  • Short Circuit Current: 6.10A
  • Opitmum Operating Voltage: 17.7V
  • Optimum Operating Current: 5.70A
  • Operating Temperature: -40°F to 176°F
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600VDC UL
  • Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 10A
Huh? If paralleled, each panel sends and receives only its own generated current. (They've got diodes which prevent reversals on each internal "string" of wafers). The common and shared wire pair "+ " and "-", handles much higher current, but the individual panel leads will never see that. The fuse size for each panel, if fused individually, must be larger than 6.10A (and 10A is a good value). The fuse size for all panels combined in parallel, if installed in the "common" wire to the MPPT, must be greater than 6.10A * 5 (40A and 50A would both be good values for fuses installed on those leads, connecting to the SCC). If I'm confused, please explain with a picture.

Huh? If paralleled, each panel sends and receives only its own generated current. (They've got diodes which prevent reversals on each internal "string" of wafers). The common and shared wire pair "+ " and "-", handles much higher current, but the individual panel leads will never see that. The fuse size for each panel, if fused individually, must be larger than 6.10A (and 10A is a good value). The fuse size for all panels combined in parallel, if installed in the "common" wire to the MPPT, must be greater than 6.10A * 5 (40A and 50A would both be good values for fuses installed on those leads, connecting to the SCC). If I'm confused, please explain with a picture.
I don't have a picture. I'm basing this on the NEC code requiring fusing on every panel or series string once you have more than 2 in parallel. There's not enough potential in two paralleled panels to cause damage in the event of a short circuit. three or more have the current potential to damage the panels.
Panels have bypass diodes to route current around shaded cells not blocking diodes.

I don't have a picture. I'm basing this on the NEC code requiring fusing on every panel or series string once you have more than 2 in parallel. There's not enough potential in two paralleled panels to cause damage in the event of a short circuit. three or more have the current potential to damage the panels.
Panels have bypass diodes to route current around shaded cells not blocking diodes.
Thanks! I also agree with the NEC wiring requirement, we agree that both individual panels and bus-group "common" wires need to be fused at their respective values. In the event of a short circuit, the remaining good panels could EACH send their 6.1A into the "failed" short circuit connection, and that is why each panel should be fused separately. The resulting common "bus" wires to and from the SCC should be fused with the sum of the individual current values. I suspect that we're in "violent agreement :ROFLMAO: " on both parts of this fusing scheme.

Thanks! I also agree with the NEC wiring requirement, we agree that both individual panels and bus-group "common" wires need to be fused at their respective values. In the event of a short circuit, the remaining good panels could EACH send their 6.1A into the "failed" short circuit connection, and that is why each panel should be fused separately. The resulting common "bus" wires to and from the SCC should be fused with the sum of the individual current values. I suspect that we're in "violent agreement :ROFLMAO: " on both parts of this fusing scheme.
Never heard the term but it sounds about right.
I'm not an electrician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.:oops:

Back