diy solar

diy solar

Decentralized design?

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
Most everything discussed, with the exception of a few portable units is building a system big enough to handle (fill in the blanks).

Was pondering the concept of multiple stations which could serve a specific purpose. For example instead of a UPS have battery packs that could provide power to a refrigerator or freezer for instance. They could be plugged in if needed but could provide days of reserve power in the case of a power outage.

Is anyone doing something like this?

Most likely not. You are not thinking in terms of economy of scale. If you have multiple individual units, you have to have multiple individual battery banks, multiple individual electronics, and multiple individual solar arrays. Just to much work to keep everything functioning properly.

I do however have two operating systems, my 48V home system, and the 24V workshop system. If anything were ever to fail for one of the two, there is a ready to go backup source. Just have to run a few extension cords.

Most likely not. You are not thinking in terms of economy of scale. If you have multiple individual units, you have to have multiple individual battery banks, multiple individual electronics, and multiple individual solar arrays. Just to much work to keep everything functioning properly.

I do however have two operating systems, my 48V home system, and the 24V workshop system. If anything were ever to fail for one of the two, there is a ready to go backup source. Just have to run a few extension cords.
Agree!
48v big stationary system - runs the business and my house (next door).
24v mobile system - mobile and can run freezers/fridge/lights if main system was in trouble. Fits on a garden cart or box of the pick-up.
12v super-mobile if all else craps-out and the zombies are coming/time to get out of Dodge system. LOL. Can be tucked under my arm.

Most everything discussed, with the exception of a few portable units is building a system big enough to handle (fill in the blanks).

Was pondering the concept of multiple stations which could serve a specific purpose. For example instead of a UPS have battery packs that could provide power to a refrigerator or freezer for instance. They could be plugged in if needed but could provide days of reserve power in the case of a power outage.

Is anyone doing something like this?
I have seen more than one manufactured "rolling" battery case with the ability to charge via solar or plug-in, used on camping sites, running a couple of appliances during a power outage, etc. I have no idea how fiscally "prudent" they are. It seems neat to have a panel or two when camping and no genset going when power is desired.

If I understand OP correctly, this is a "solar generator" design (without the panels). Just build your own, put it on a hand-truck (or rolling dolly), and size the battery to your needs. Recharge when the grid comes back up.

If you get fancy, you can swap battery-banks, almost on the fly, for any long-running event.

Or, buy a solar generator in any shape or form ...

If OP truly wants a fridge or freezer to run on a built-in UPS, with expandable battery-banks, then the power supply would have to be designed to run off of grid, or off of batteries. Or, design/build an intermediate UPS, that sits in between device and power. Both functions have to invert.

If I were to think about this more, and I can't yet think in terms of 120v battery systems ... you'd insert a 120v battery-bank in there, with no inverter needed. I think that's 5 x 24v batteries, plus charger ... all done so as to not cause grief.

If understand OP correctly, this is a "solar generator" design (without the panels). Just build your own, put it on a hand-truck (or rolling dolly), and size the battery to your needs. Recharge when the grid comes back up.

Primarily. The goal is not to reproduce the whole house system. In fact this could also be used in a grid fed system to generate emergency power.

My idea for renters was to build furniture with the batteries and inverter built in ... basically a big UPS inside an entertainment center or an end table or a bedside table. Plug the furniture into the wall, plug the lamp, TV, or stereo into the furniture.

Another idea I had was a flat battery and inverter hanging on the wall behind the refrigerator. It would make the fridge stick out into the room 2 or 3 inches but would likely not even be noticeable by most people. Could fit 5kWh of battery back there ... maybe more.

Interesting ideas so far.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back