diy solar

diy solar

Defective Cells

KauaiMolokai

Solar Enthusiast
I'm interested in starting a discussion on purchasing defective LiFePO4 cells. I've read many posts of people receiving cells which were defective in some way or tested out as having lower capacity than expected. In many cases buyers seek various remedies from sellers, from shippers, and from financial intermediaries, with various results. In many cases owners of these defective cells are advised, or decide, to not use these cells. It appears that it is always impractical to return these cells to China.

Has anyone found a simple, effective and legal way to ship LiFePO4 cells by ground in the US?

I'm interested in buying defective cells to use. Obviously broken or cracked cells are not usable, and neither are those which have severely overheated or which will not hold a reasonable charge. But those which test below spec and have cosmetic defects might be fine for me. I'm in southern California most of the time and am ok to drive reasonable distances for the right deal. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd be very careful here, you could be setting yourself up for a potential civil lawsuit for knowingly passing on defective cells, and when something happens, who are they going to track it back to?

Secondly, you'll always be under watch for being a middle-man for possibly diverting established e-waste recycling routes.

Not a good idea for you or any possible customers.

Thank you for your concern. If you read my post closely you will see "I'm interested in buying defective cells to use." Please take this literally. I have zero interest in reselling defective cells, or anything else defective. Aloha

Ah ok cool. Sorry for the misread.

I think there is a whole sub-forum with plenty of discussion already in place for that I believe - (AKA "second life")

Cheers

I have one puffed 280 cell who holds a good charge.
Sending from Thailand, 6 kg, will be about 25-30 USD.

Fastship.co is a site I have used in the past to ship to Europe.
Fraction of the normal FedEx price and just as fast.

Not sure if it's available in USA.

I would break the rules by not inform postage services that it is a battery.

Something that happens all th time in Thailand where the most hash chemicals are shipped in a box and a few layers bubble wrap...

For USA...
Not sure if it will arrive.

In The Netherlands custom hold back nail polish from China as dangerous chemical.
Well.a few times of the thousands of packages that arrive each day.

Thailand is sometimes difficult to get something into the country, but ship locally...
Anything goes :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back