Desperately needed help with lost charger for Bluetti 150

zilch0md

Solar Enthusiast
Those resin-potted heatsink style step-up convertors are available with several different specs, so you should be abke to find one that will suit your AC50S input requirements, if that's some thing you want to pursue.

45North

Let it shine!
I really don't like being held captive to proprietary plugs so I usually just standardize on something like an automotive 12v SAE connector, if possible. These are cheap and plentiful and available off-the-shelf in any auto supply store. You can even get extension cords off-the-shelf and ready to use!

If I'm just experimenting with quick, temporary connections I use lever connectors - and I have an assortment of 2,3,4 and 5-wire connectors. Very flexible and easy to undo if you change your mind and want to try something else.

If I were looking for something more permanent and I didn't mind soldering, I've noticed that many people use XT-60 connectors which would also be suitable for this kind of work. These are compact, rugged, widely available and not too expensive.

Roxie60

It's strange, but that web address link you supplied is different than what I've been using. Everyone beware, the address https://maxoak.net/ is apparently a fake scam copy! The .net webste lists two different info@ conact email addresses. The .com goes nowhere and the .net is a scam that tries to get you to deposit money in a PayPal account.
I actually had a Buetti Adminctell me to sign up on their website and it was .com. have heard nothing yet. That would be sad if directed to use their site and result in scammers, will keep an eye open. Thx for heads up. I'm startingcto feel bad about my new bluetti purchase this week, with all my research I had only heard ostly good things about the build and customer service(other than supply chain ussues).

Seldomseen2u

Those resin-potted heatsink style step-up convertors are available with several different specs, so you should be abke to find one that will suit your AC50S input requirements, if that's some thing you want to pursue.
Zilch,

I contacted Newark and ordered a couple pairs of : 1636.07 Lumberg 8mm 3 pole and a corresponding single 1642.21 8mm female panel mount. I might try and use the 8mm F to create an adapter to fit on a stock alternate Ac/dc 90w or so power supply to create an alternate power to the AC50S or (best goal yet!) use it with my Goal Zero 5-10a 12vdc charger 98079 which should be better than the worthless bluetti cig 8mm adapter (with no boost). I may be wrong about that but all indications seem to point to using a dc boost (if conservative) is way better.
Now if that fails ill give your DC boost a try ....

I've been fabbing my own DC5521 cables for output to 6mm for my GZ accessories (Lite-A-Life lamps) and to other APP accessorized connections. So far so good. Also been fabbing our new Dometic Cfx 12v for added APP connections for power....

I've asked Bluetti for how to purchase added MC4 to 8mm cables or 8mm to Cig cables so I can hack them up for my custom uses.... no response for a while. If that fails I'll continue on with my Newark 8mm 3 pole adapters and fab all my cables as needed.

regards, Seldomseen

Seldomseen2u

Update.

I received my 1636.07 Lumberg 8mm 3 pole plug and a female plug. The odd thing about the male plug 🔌 is that the inner shell does not seem to have a flange for the center pin to share the power. I may be out of luck using this if I can’t figure out how to get power soldered to bot my the center po and the inner shell. It looks like the inner shell is unpowered. I may have to figure out a kluge for it. Still testing the connections. Might have to solder a shiny from the center to the barrel as shown. With this custom adapter I may be able to use my 5 amp GZ adapter to car power the AC50s. My thought is that the OEM provided Bluetti cig to 8mm cable is not useful or sufficient to car charge the AC50s. That’s been my similar experience in other 12v battery charging.

if anyone has similar experiences or a fix please let me know.

regards, Seldomseen

Attachments

• 8126A85E-A4A1-4A69-A3FC-5E91144D163D.jpeg
    8126A85E-A4A1-4A69-A3FC-5E91144D163D.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 4
  • 4D527037-AE00-45B4-84C7-ED495FD8F2BB.jpeg
    4D527037-AE00-45B4-84C7-ED495FD8F2BB.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 4

Seldomseen2u

Update.

I received my 1636.07 Lumberg 8mm 3 pole plug and a female plug. The odd thing about the male plug 🔌 is that the inner shell does not seem to have a flange for the center pin to share the power. I may be out of luck using this if I can’t figure out how to get power soldered to bot my the center po and the inner shell. It looks like the inner shell is unpowered. I may have to figure out a kluge for it. Still testing the connections. Might have to solder a shiny from the center to the barrel as shown. With this custom adapter I may be able to use my 5 amp GZ adapter to car power the AC50s. My thought is that the OEM provided Bluetti cig to 8mm cable is not useful or sufficient to car charge the AC50s. That’s been my similar experience in other 12v battery charging.

if anyone has similar experiences or a fix please let me know.

regards, Seldomseen
Update on the 8mm adapters.

spent time with Newark tech support on the connectors referenced above.
- the 8mm is not a true 3 pole. There is no way to get inner sleeve power unless you shunt wire to the small bit of exposed shell near the center pin. That’s not a deal breaker but not clean design
- the female 8mm is a bigger problem. Though there are three pins on the backside of the plug only two are connected to conductors. The outside pin on the edge is ground on the outside of the connector. The center pin gets power from the center connector. The other connector is nothing there is no wiring support.

My alternate plan is probably to select a 12 V charger and cut the plug and re-wire the end for the proprietary Bluetti 8 mm plug. I had hoped to create a male/female cable adapter that I could simply attach to a standard two pole 8 mm plug to convert to 8mm three pole but that won’t seem to work.

here is my question. Bluetti Ships a cigarette lighter to 8 mm adapter with the AC 50 S, I am the impression that it is useless without extra amperage or boost either from an inverter or from a DC charger that will put out more amperage. My goal zero yeti and Extreme 350 Charger can put out 5 or 10a almost like a boost. If it works it might solve my 12 V charging In auto charging capability (at 5A. 10a is probably overtaxing my truck capacity). Does that seem sound ?

regards,
Seldomseen

Seldomseen2u

On the Bluetti forum a guy using a AC30 that good success with a Lenovo 90W 20V PA-1900-53i charger. It has a 8mm plug and puts out 4.5A 20V. He said it works for the AC30. Anyone try this on a AC50S ? I maybe wrong but the input power port on the AC50S is 3 pole. It needs a hot center pin and the Lenovo does not provide center pin power.....

In his testing with the Lenovo, it seemed to show promise, esp. for the AC30. I recently obtained this Lenovo power supply and in testing with my meter I noticed that the center pin is not powered ? The inner shell is powered and the outer shell is powered. The AC50S MC4 to 8mm and the Cig lighter to 8mm all supply power to the input power jack. Does your Lenovo not supply power on the center pin or does your AC30 not require center pin power ?

When testing a iGreely 8mm jack cable it would not power the AC50S (unless i was testing incorrectly). I’d like to know what you think. I’m still under the impression that the Bluettis’ need 3 pole 8mm plugs to work correctly. thanks

NetApex

Just a quick clarification and question posed into one... I am looking at getting the EB150 due to all the positive reviews. Right now we have Goal Zero solar panels and would really like to just use them instead of switching over to something else. Is there any possible way to use them without taking matters (aka scissors) into my own hands? A quick adapter to purchase or anything?

zilch0md

Solar Enthusiast
On the Bluetti forum a guy using a AC30 that good success with a Lenovo 90W 20V PA-1900-53i charger. It has a 8mm plug and puts out 4.5A 20V. He said it works for the AC30. Anyone try this on a AC50S ? I maybe wrong but the input power port on the AC50S is 3 pole. It needs a hot center pin and the Lenovo does not provide center pin power.....

In his testing with the Lenovo, it seemed to show promise, esp. for the AC30. I recently obtained this Lenovo power supply and in testing with my meter I noticed that the center pin is not powered ? The inner shell is powered and the outer shell is powered. The AC50S MC4 to 8mm and the Cig lighter to 8mm all supply power to the input power jack. Does your Lenovo not supply power on the center pin or does your AC30 not require center pin power ?

When testing a iGreely 8mm jack cable it would not power the AC50S (unless i was testing incorrectly). I’d like to know what you think. I’m still under the impression that the Bluettis’ need 3 pole 8mm plugs to work correctly. thanks
Hi Seldomseen2u,

Ironically, I've been seldom seen at this thread, so I apologize for neglecting your questions and it's a shame those Newark connectors aren't true 3-pole solderable. Their drawings led me to believe otherwise.

You certainly seem to be working things out pretty well on your own, however. 👍🏻

What's happening, currently?

CObike75

Quick question for a newcomer. Should it be possible to wire 10G wire directly from positive/negative terminal of battery to power pole connector in bed of truck. Then go from powerpole to Bluetti with MC4 connectors as input for charging from car battery to Bluetti AC50s?

zilch0md

Solar Enthusiast
Quick question for a newcomer. Should it be possible to wire 10G wire directly from positive/negative terminal of battery to power pole connector in bed of truck. Then go from powerpole to Bluetti with MC4 connectors as input for charging from car battery to Bluetti AC50s?

Question: What is the minimum input voltage required by the MPPT charger of the Bluetti AC50s?

Answer: 14V (up to 40V)

Problem: Even with the engine running, the alternator will not keep the voltage at or above 14V while under load.

Use the 12V car charger, instead. 🙁

Or... Connect this 300W full sine-wave DC-to-AC inverter into those 10AWG, 12V power port connectors you are considering, then use it for powering 120V AC tools as well as for the Bluetti's 90W AC charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ4Q2L5/ :)

The 300W inverter can be plugged into any cigarette lighter-style 12V power jack rated and fused for at least 10 Amps.

Be careful not to drain your battery too much when the motor isn't running.

Last edited: