diy solar

diy solar

Device to allow export from non-export inverters?

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
Is there an electronic device that you can plug into a non-export capable inverter, in order to export to the grid?

If you have a battery, you can attach a grid connected inverter to it, and set it to export when battery voltage is above 53.5v.

I only ask because I heard two men talking in a supermarket about their solar inverters, so I dawdled around next to them while pretending to browse the shelves, and one said that he had a non-export capable inverter but was thinking about buying a new, export capable one, so that he can take advantage of Octopus' export payments, and the other guy said that he didn't need to buy a new inverter, he needed a so-and-so device that costs about £500 and it will export to the grid from his inverter, and uses a CT clamp - I didn't hear properly what he said, and I had been standing there listening to them for too long already, and didn't want to butt into their conversation, but from what I heard, the other guy had one of these devices, whatever it is. But search as I might, I can't find anything on Google.
I imagine all that it needs to do is to request (as it were) a load from the inverter, and then up the voltage, while monitoring the CT clamp, until the voltage coming out of the device is higher than the incoming voltage from the grid, and the CT clamp will then let it know that the electricity is flowing the right way (i.e. exporting). So I presume it could indeed cost only £500.

If you connect the grid to the output of an inverter. At best it will shut down and save itself. But more than likely it will make pretty smoke. And some funny sparky noises.

I presume it does it the same way any exporting inverter does it. I'm not sure how that is, but I know it uses a CT clamp.

So no inverters can actually export back to the grid then? I don't know how the device connects to the grid, but I presume it works in the same way as the part of an export capable inverter works when it's exporting to the grid.

Yes, and presumably this device feeds power back into the grid in exactly the same way as a grid tied inverter. Which means it isn't impossible.

Pollenface - I know that off grid inverters are not designed to export. That's why, I presume, a SEPARATE device exists to do this. If indeed it exists.

I like how this webpage doesn't actually explain how a grid tied inverter exports to the grid, despite claiming to do so:

"Any unused or surplus solar electricity will be exported to the grid. To do this, your inverter must continually monitor the grid, adjusting your solar electricity to mirror any fluctuations, in order to allow any excess solar electricity to seamlessly flow from your solar PV system to the grid."

That's really helpful. :confused:

No such device exists.
I will assume that you missed part of the conversation. Maybe they already had a hybrid AIO.
But was just using it in an off grid fashion.
Which would mean that they only needed to add CT's, (and in some cases a separate meter) and change the settings.

Timselectric:

They synchronize with the grid and adjust the voltage to export.
Off grid inverters don't have the ability to synchronize, with an external power source.
And there's no external device (that I am aware of) that can make them capable of doing so.

Back