diy solar

diy solar

Need to get solar panels to charge battery but NOT export to grid

Mike5

I have an existing 4kW solar panel installation from about 2011 with a feed-in tariff. I have recently had a SunSynk battery setup installed (2 * 5.2kWh) with SunSynk hybrid inverter. The batteries can charge from the grid or from the existing panels. I have roof space to add more panels and I would like to do this purely as an an additional means to charge the batteries. I have asked various suppliers but the general feeling is that this is not possible as the total generation capacity would be over the DNO limit. Is there a way to add panels to the new inverter and configure it such that it will not export to the grid? Moreover is there a way to convince the DNO that no additional export capacity has been added to the property? The inverter has a 'NO EXPORT' setting which feels like it should be what is needed but I can't get a straight answer as to if this is the solution.

Is there a way to add panels to the new inverter and configure it such that it will not export to the grid?
Most likely but
- what does the manual say
- does the AIO meet UL1741?
Moreover is there a way to convince the DNO that no additional export capacity has been added to the property?
Convince?
SHJ’s deal in printed documents and black-and-white logic.
have asked various suppliers but the general feeling is that this is not possible as the total generation capacity would be over the DNO limit
Does this sunsynk unit act like an ups? Because you could feed your loads through it and eliminate backfeeding concerns I’d imagine.
The inverter has a 'NO EXPORT' setting which feels like it should be what is needed but I can't get a straight answer as to if this is the solution.
The straight answer is that if it is UL1741 and configured appropriately then it won’t export.

I don’t know that unit from a walkie talkie so I’m not speaking to that. I’m merely addressing your concerns posted above that seem as though you are tiptoeing around asking the AHJ.
IF it is UL Listed they shouldn’t object I don’t believe, especially if you aren’t installed to output to the grid.

Back