diy solar

diy solar

Device to charge Lifepo batteries from the wall?

Thegreywizard

So we're working on building out our solar setup, but for now we just have the batteries.

Is there a device I can buy that will allow me to safely charge these batteries from the wall for now without any of the other solar components?

It might take us a few months to be able to budget in the costs for the rest of the components. But for now we'd at least like the capability to utilize our charged batteries in an emergency power outage.

You will likely want 2 components.
One is a bench power supply to charge the cells at cell voltage which is 3.65 volts
And a battery charge to charge your battery at battery voltage which depends on the number of cells in serial configuration.
Also an lfp battery includes a bms.

Here is an example of a bench psu. I don't know if it is any good though. https://www.amazon.ca/HANMATEK-HM305-Variable-Adjustable-Protective/dp/B0852JZQZR

Here is an ac charger.

Ok so I do have a really nice BMS already.

You're saying I would still need both of those components on top of the BMS?

So we're working on building out our solar setup, but for now we just have the batteries.

Is there a device I can buy that will allow me to safely charge these batteries from the wall for now without any of the other solar components?

It might take us a few months to be able to budget in the costs for the rest of the components. But for now we'd at least like the capability to utilize our charged batteries in an emergency power outage.
I bought a PSU. However, you have high capacity cells it can take a while to charge them, but it is useful. I have 24v battery both AGM and LIFEPO4 and i use a victron smartblue charger to bring the SOC up to 75% and then put the batteries in Parallel to balance them out evenly. Victron is expensive but it has an app and its good for all types of batteries from Lead Acid to LIFEPO.

Last edited:
Ok, so just want to make sure I'm following you.

Is the PSU and the Victron Smartblue Charger the same thing?

What does SOC mean?

I know Victron isn't cheap, but I also know it's the best. I wouldn't mind keeping everything Victron since I will eventually getting a 3000w MultiPlus for this system.

So is this the right device by Victron?

Or is it this one?

So one of these devices will do what I need? I won't need that $300 charger that Smooth linked to?

It would be great to keep the budget for this around $100-$200.

But it is what it is for cost to get the job done at the end of the day. So if it does cost more, $500 almost, we may just make plunge and get the $1200 3000w Victron Multiplus.

What battery voltage are you setting up ? and the Batteries you have how many cells ?

Sorry that info probably would be helpful.

Right now we have four 230Ah Lifepo cells

Long term my goal is 8 for a 24v system. So I am sizing everything for 24v, BMS included.

I started with 4 cells, planned on building out the rest of the system as budget allows and then buying 4 more batteries to complete the system once I have some more funds and everything else is purchased and setup.

SOC - State of Charge. With lifePO cells its its important not to charge over 3.65 Volts and not to drain them below 2.5 volts as they get damaged.
The question for you would be what voltage are your batteries since you need to match the charger to the batteries 12 volts 24 volts or 48 volts. You may save money in the long run to get the Multi Plus 2 as it has the built in charger with the inverter. Buying a cheap inverter potentially ends up being a waste of money.
This is the one i use https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/27447/vecip22-24/16-3.html# for both my AGM and LifePO.

I guess for now we only have the 4 cell, 12v setup.

Each cell is currently 3.295v

So I can't buy that 24v charger you linked to and use it on my 12v system?

This was the long term setup we were going with:

It has a 24v Sine Wave Inverter built in.

How is the Multiplus 2 different from this one?

Thanks for all your help btw!

Here how my system looks with the Victron charger. I use the charger for both sets of battery both 24v. The second picture i have it on charge and monitor the charging until its 75 to 80% full and then put them from series to parallel. My regret was getting the cheap Inverter, so Victron is the way to go as im so many good reviews on them.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 7
Oh wait, I re-read what you said that the Multiplus 2 has the built in charger.

That may be worth getting depending on the upgrade cost. Once this gets it's solar setup, I'm not sure if we'll ever need or use the charger, so it may not be worth the additional upgrade to the Multiplus 2.

And it may be several months before we can even budget for the Multiplus, but we can get the separate charger now and start utilizing our current 4 cell setup.

Ok so I do have a really nice BMS already.
I take it from other things you have said in this thread that it is an 8s bms.
You're saying I would still need both of those components on top of the BMS?

Technically you could get away with just the bench power supply.
Assuming its max voltage is ~30 volts.

Having a solar system without ac charging capability is like having a sail boat without a diesel engine.
Charging via the sun alone sure is romantic but its probably not that practical.

I guess for now we only have the 4 cell, 12v setup.

Each cell is currently 3.295v

So I can't buy that 24v charger you linked to and use it on my 12v system?

This was the long term setup we were going with:

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Mult...----&vehicleName=1970+Dodge+Charger [/QUOTE]

ltiPlus+3000VA+24-Volt+Pure+Sine+Wave+Inverter+70+amp+Battery+Charger&qid=1628962785&replacementKeywords=victron+energy+multiplus+3000va+24-volt+pure+sine+wave+inverter+amp+battery&sr=8-2-fkmr0&vehicle=1970-40-287------------&vehicleName=1970+Dodge+Charger[/URL]

The multi plus 2 is the more updated version slim in design. You need to take into account distance from solar panels to MPPT controller and wire loss. 12v requires bigger cables and good for an RV or panels that are close. IF they are meters away 48V wires smaller required but the voltage more dangerous.

PSU may take days to charge each cell and they dont cut off when charged so you need to monitor the charging.

Yes my BMS is an 8S.

Long term for an entirely off the grid setup, I would like a 48v system.

But for now a 24v system is going to take all of my available funds lol

The Multiplus 2 sounds better by being slimmer and having a charger built in. Seems to be basically the same price too.

I was hoping to eventually have enough panels to be sustainable off the grid with the 48v system.

The 24v system is really only going to be there as an emergency backup, so I guess keeping a charger in the system makes sense for faster/better charging.

But can I use the 24v charger to charge the 12v system? Or do I have to have the 12v charger?

The separate charger would probably just be a slave to the 12v system anyways, because once I can buy the Multiplus 2, it will obviously be 24v capable then.

But if I can get the 24v charger and it will still work on the 12v system, then why not oversize it lol

I definitely need the $300 Victron charger you linked to and not the $100 Victron charger I linked to? lol

Yes my BMS is an 8S.

The Multiplus 2 sounds better by being slimmer and having a charger built in. Seems to be basically the same price too.

I was hoping to eventually have enough panels to be sustainable off the grid with the 48v system.

The 24v system is really only going to be there as an emergency backup, so I guess keeping a charger in the system makes sense for faster/better charging.

But can I use the 24v charger to charge the 12v system? Or do I have to have the 12v charger?

The separate charger would probably just be a slave to the 12v system anyways, because once I can buy the Multiplus 2, it will obviously be 24v capable then.

But if I can get the 24v charger and it will still work on the 12v system, then why not oversize it lol

I definitely need the $300 Victron charger you linked to and not the $100 Victron charger I linked to? lol
You cannot mix the charger volt use 24v on 12v and vice versa.

The charger you listed good for Lifepo4 but you would need the 12v model for your 4 cells. However, you need a BMS for 4s for protections.

Yes my BMS is an 8S.

I definitely need the $300 Victron charger you linked to and not the $100 Victron charger I linked to? lo

Back