diy solar

diy solar

Did I do it?

retroman

Hey Folks:

In my haste to get my new array going with my existing one I hooked up the new array wires to my new Outback MPPT without realizing that the array voltage was powered. I know better than this but....I was careless. I had not powered the MPPT to the 48 volt battery bank first.....stupid...stupid...stupid. In any event, the new MPPT will show the array voltage and my output voltage but, hardly any amps( maybe 1 or 2 from a 1600 watt array. Question is: What damage might I have caused, and what might need to be replaced.
When I did the deed, the array was pointing away from the sun. I can't imagine that the panels were putting out much juice but, I screwed up.

Bob

What type of Outback MPPT?

Can you Describe the array a little, like set up 4S with info from the plate on the panels such as a 39 volt VMP etc?

Is this paired with an Outback Radian or Outback Mojave or something different?

I am getting an Outback Radian Installed with a 100 amp flex max charger. The thing that comes to mind is perhaps your panels are not set up 4S and might not have the voltage to start charging the MPPT. My spec sheet doesn't say what the minimum voltage is. I'm assuming its 6 volts above operating voltage.

I think my operating range of this MPPT is 100 volts to 300 volts. THe only option with four 400 watt panels hooked to mine is series of 4. For me, my panels are setup 4S3P. 2S would not break the 100 volt limit.

Unfortunately for me, I am waiting an electrical inspection by the town and several weeks later an inspection by the power company, so I ma not operational. Certainly looks pretty on the roof and the walls.

Last edited:
HeyChrisski:

Thank you for the reply. The MPPT is an Outback Flexmax 60. The inverter :an Outback GTFX 3048. I am adding 4
Qcell 425 watt panels. I have wired two of the new panels in series, and another two wired in series then have combined the two groups in parallel. That set-up is showing around 95 volts and I should be getting around 20 amps as well but.......nothing on the amps
My existing panels are 6 Sharps 180 watt coupled to another Outback Flexmax 60. That arrangement has been performing perfectly for 15 years now. Thus, I have two separate groups of panels each with their own MPPT coming into the common inverter.

Bob

qcell

I would try hooking up your old array to the new charge controller as a test of the charge controller/wiring.

Have you gone through all the settings? Maybe the new controller has an I correct setting, such as low bulk/absorption setting.

Any chance you have RSD triggered/enabled? I know you mention that the MPPT shows voltage from the array but low amps, but you didn't specify what the voltage was. Is the voltage what you would expect? or significantly lower?

What do you see for voltage from the array when using a multimeter set for DC voltage? Does it match what you see at the MPPT?

We are celebrating Thanksgiving today but once all the hub-bub is over I will try 400 birds idea of connecting the new array wires to the old MPPT. Because of the series/parallel wiring set up I expected to get around 95 volts from the new panels. I get that reading up at the array as well as down at the MPPT. The is no significant drop from the panels to the input at the MPPT.
I made all of the settings at the new MPPT identical to the old MPPT. The two units have changed very little over the years. Not familiar with the RSD setting. What does that do?

Do you have a load on it? Without something to actually draw power I'm not sure you'll see much.

I had an almost identical problem happen. I was adding a 3rd 4800w array to my existing system, with a separate combiner/disconnect & MPPT. I finished wiring the array very late in the afternoon, but was able to check the voltage at a juction box on the roof - it was showing somewhere over 100 volts on each of four strings. That made me happy knowing that all was well with the array. The next morning, I threw the wall mounted midnite solar combiner/disconnect, energizing the system. I went inside to check my MPPT output, and was only getting a few watts. If I remember correctly, the voltage seemed OK. Boy, was I disappointed, and surprised. I had done this several times before and had never had this happen, or any other issues - I am extremely careful and had double checked everything. Well, after a little checking, and removing the inside panel from my outside mounted combiner/disconnect, I saw some arcing going on above the fuses where the output 'gang plate' that connected/combined all four fuses to a single output was located. When I had ordered the combiner/disconnect, I had asked the distributor to replace the original individual 15a fuses with 20a ones. Whoever had done this simply forgot to tighten the setscrews that clamped the combiner plate into each of the fuse terminals above. This, of course caused the arcing, and resulted in almost no current throughput. I tightened everything up and all was well - MPPT started ouputting immediately. I guess you could call this lesson learned, but really - who disassembles new products to check for correct installation? And, it really wasn't easily visible without removing an inside panel.

Is this your problelm, probably not, but just wanted to illustrate that you could have a similar 'small problem', that causes a complete failure of performance.

Good luck!

I do have a load on it. As my system is grid tied .....the grid would be my load. As I build up a surplus beyond my needs here in the house I send the excess from the battery bank back into the grid. Get 23 cents per KW too.

Bob

I do have a load on it. As my system is grid tied .....the grid would be my load. As I build up a surplus beyond my needs here in the house I send the excess from the battery bank back into the grid. Get 23 cents per KW too.

Bob
Are you 100% sure the "sell to grid" stuff is properly configured and working? I'd try adding load to the AC output side, not just the grid.

I just removed the old panel wires from the original MPPT and connected the wires from the new panels to the original MPPT. Everything is working just fine. Thus, the new panels are configured properly and my problem is not with them.

The new Outback MPPT recognizes the panel voltage coming in but but does not do anything with it. I suspect IT is the problem. These recent changes I have made seem to confirm that idea. Whattdya think?

The new Outback MPPT recognizes the panel voltage coming in but but does not do anything with it.
Is this connected and communicating with the Radian?
If not, it will charge based on battery voltage and your charge settings.

What is battery voltage and your charge settings?

No, this system is not connected to a ?Radian? The voltages are: Battery voltage-55.2
Absorb,Float-55.9(Lithium)
Sell-55.6
Diversion-56.5

A Flexmax 60. It even has GT(grid-tie) setting. My original Flexmax 60 has been operating in Grid-Tie mode for 15 years. That is why I chose it over other brands.

Bob

Back