diy solar

diy solar

Did I Ruin My Cells??

That made a parallel set. If it was shorted it would get red hot
I may be wrong here. It is my understanding the two cells marked 4 are parallel and the two cells marked 5 are parallel on their own, but when 5 five for instance is reversed and the positives and negatives are connected those are series connections and only one of them should be made. The other set of positives and negatives become the mains and they are not to be connected.

I may be wrong here. It is my understanding the two cells marked 4 are parallel and the two cells marked 5 are parallel on their own, but when 5 five for instance is reversed and the positives and negatives are connected those are series connections and only one of them should be made. The other set of positives and negatives become the mains and they are not to be connected.
Can you circle in the schematic exactly where you see a problem, I frequently misread/misinterpret cell configurations, but I'm not seeing a problem between cells 4 and 5.

The only thing I am confused about is why you've used (in the schematic) 4 busbar connections between only two of the parallel pairs (3/4 and 7/8)

You still have to select DC or AC on the voltage setting. You are measuring a DC voltage with AC, hence the ~ in the meter's display.

Reactions: Dzl
You still have to select DC or AC on the voltage setting. You are measuring a DC voltage with AC, hence the ~ in the meter's display.
Yea that’s what I thought! I have to figure out how to change that because I assumed it would be auto adjusted.

Okay, but you're confirming it sparked?

If so, my wildass theory may be correct that the oxidation from sparking impacted conductivity and the weight of the busbar alone may have been insufficient to provide a meaningful connection and current flow.

I suspect that you got crazy lucky.

Was the other cell group unmolested? If so, how do those cell voltages compare to Sparky?

I have crossed busbars before causing a short and had to knock it loose with a piece of wood. No, the shock won't kill you but it will burn you badly. I think your batteries would be ruined and you would have no question in your mind if that short continued (if it was short which I guess remains to be determined). And, it is just not going to be a spark it is going to be a serious snap. My busbar partially melted even though this was maybe 3 seconds. That was over five years ago on a Calb 100 amp cell in parallel with others. Cell (s) survived and still in service.

Okay, but you're confirming it sparked?

If so, my wildass theory may be correct that the oxidation from sparking impacted conductivity and the weight of the busbar alone may have been insufficient to provide a meaningful connection and current flow.

I suspect that you got crazy lucky.

Was the other cell group unmolested? If so, how do those cell voltages compare to Sparky?
Yes it definitely sparked viciously when I removed it. I pray that I got very lucky?? I don’t seem to find much luck lying around for me typically haha...by other cell group do you mean the opposing side to ole sparky? The long Diy copper busbar? If so that had very minimal signs of charring.

I have crossed busbars before causing a short and had to knock it loose with a piece of wood. No, the shock won't kill you but it will burn you badly. I think your batteries would be ruined and you would have no question in your mind if that short continued (if it was short which I guess remains to be determined). And, it is just not going to be a spark it is going to be a serious snap. My busbar partially melted even though this was maybe 3 seconds. That was over five years ago on a Calb 100 amp cell in parallel with others. Cell (s) survived and still in service.
That’s crazy. Maybe I will have the same result!

You need to run right out and buy some lottery tickets to see if your lucky steak is still active.

I once found a coin on the floor of a bar .... went over and played that coin in a slot machine and won a large jackpot .... Go for it!!

Back