diy solar

diy solar

My 18K PV Experience (Part 1)

I too just commissioned a DIY EG4 18k with the powerpro battery. The first 4 days were "challenging" and SS gave up and handed me off to EG4. I admit I don't have a lot of patience but 5 days to commission a system that was all EG4 equipment made me wonder if I made a mistake. To this day I don't know what EG4 did to the firmware as I have asked many times and all I get is crickets. The system is working fine, but I will have to make seasonal adjustments to make sure I give the local utility as little money as possible. I am on a time-of-use plan, I sell to the grid and I am set up to peak shave. All was set up by EG4. I was told not to go below 20% discharge for a few weeks so that is what I am doing...probably once I have a megawatt through the battery. I have one wall-mounted battery with the second one on order. To me, the PC app, the Phone app, and the EG4 screen all have a different level of detail and settings and I have not found that the manual matches any of them. Also, I am in Arizona, and its "cold" right now for AZ. but in 4 months it will be over 100F. My fans run full-on as soon as the inverter PV input hits about 6kw and it feeds the battery and the house. It's probably 45f to 50f in the garage so I don't understand why the fans are even one, does anyone have this same issue? Once it's hot I am worried that the inverter will shut down if it can't cool itself or is there a setting I am missing that needs to be changed to control the fans? Any help is appreciated. I did try to set up a user group on Reddit, but it appears Henderson has already done that....thanks!
From what I've read the fans are programmed to kick on at a certain load regardless of temp.

I'm not sure why discharging below 20% would have any impacts.
Also, both SS and EG4 have never answered any of my questions after commissioning so maybe I am persona non gratis after that first 5 days
@SignatureSolarJess

From what I've read the fans are programmed to kick on at a certain load regardless of temp.
I've experienced the same behavior. As soon as a heavy load runs through the 18Kpv, the fans kick on. We use it as a sort of "what just turned on?" meter. :) The inverter is really quite capable and we have been pleased so far. The configuration settings are a bit overwhelming. I think I've mostly figured out what I need to set for our situation but a well-crafted cheat sheet would really help!

I've experienced the same behavior. As soon as a heavy load runs through the 18Kpv, the fans kick on. We use it as a sort of "what just turned on?" meter. :) The inverter is really quite capable and we have been pleased so far. The configuration settings are a bit overwhelming. I think I've mostly figured out what I need to set for our situation but a well-crafted cheat sheet would really help!
I agree, the configuration is detailed but without a cheat sheet or at least an accurate manual I will have to resort to calling EG4 or SS to make changes. I am afraid to make a change and screw up other parameters. As summer is fast approaching in Arizona, this system is mandatory to operate correctly. I went from a solaredge inverter that failed 2 times and was replaced under warranty...unfortunately, it failed in the peak of the summer and the replacement took months to fulfill even though I could have just bought one online and had it delivered in days...funny how that happens. Guess the warranty replacement is a refurbished unit like most warranty replacements. So far I have not read about any failures on the forums but it is a new product. The fans sound like afterburners on a fighter jet taking off from a carrier, they are crazy loud. Don't know why they did not just add a temperature switch since it knows the internal temps and could easily cycle the fans that way

I agree, the configuration is detailed but without a cheat sheet or at least an accurate manual I will have to resort to calling EG4 or SS to make changes. I am afraid to make a change and screw up other parameters. As summer is fast approaching in Arizona, this system is mandatory to operate correctly. I went from a solaredge inverter that failed 2 times and was replaced under warranty...unfortunately, it failed in the peak of the summer and the replacement took months to fulfill even though I could have just bought one online and had it delivered in days...funny how that happens. Guess the warranty replacement is a refurbished unit like most warranty replacements. So far I have not read about any failures on the forums but it is a new product. The fans sound like afterburners on a fighter jet taking off from a carrier, they are crazy loud. Don't know why they did not just add a temperature switch since it knows the internal temps and could easily cycle the fans that way
Are you talking about eg4 fan noise or solar edge?

He is talking about the eg4 because the solar edge does not have any fans, just a ginormous heat sink
just referenced the solaredge and the poor warranty response I got and 2 failure in 5 years. I am only discussing the EG4 inverter in this thread

The 18K starts up its fans when it is doing 6 KW or more worth of power conversion, AC output or PV input.
It is very challenging to set up because it is so flexible but I know they are working on improving firmware, software and documentation to streamline this process.

He is talking about the eg4 because the solar edge does not have any fans, just a ginormous heat sink
Sounds like a firmware update could fix the issue of using load versus actual unit temps to control the fans, reduce noise levels for units that are in climate controlled environments etc.

Sounds like a firmware update could fix the issue of using load versus actual unit temps to control the fans, reduce noise levels for units that are in climate controlled environments etc.
hopefully, EG4 reads these forums and makes changes. It's a great unit and operates the way I want it to for a winter setup. My Lic electrician who helped me for "legal reasons in my jurisdiction" agreed with me that it's well laid out and a solid machine. I will just worry about a summer setup when the time comes, don't want to "rock the boat" and make a change that affects the operation for now. Hopefully, EG4 updates the manual to better match the firmware changes they are making or someone comes up with a cheat sheet, as I stated the manual and the various ways to change the firmware don't appear to be in alignment. The problem with a cheat sheet is everyone's use case is different so that would be difficult too. I am not usually challenged by settings and manuals since I designed and installed all of my systems, but this one has me scratching my head and that requires help from EG4 in the beginning until I can figure it out. Don't want to just push buttons and guess right now.

My experience with 18kpv has also been very good though one thing I'd say is missing is a way to access the monitoring gui through my local network. Yes, you can do it by connecting to the dongle's wifi but you have to be standing next to the unit to do that...I can look at the screen for that. I'd like to access from other places on my local network without having to go through the internet to get to it

My experience with 18kpv has also been very good though one thing I'd say is missing is a way to access the monitoring gui through my local network. Yes, you can do it by connecting to the dongle's wifi but you have to be standing next to the unit to do that...I can look at the screen for that. I'd like to access from other places on my local network without having to go through the internet to get to it
great idea, I agree, it would be nice to just IP in and directly talk to the firmware!

This is described in detail in another thread. Load and/or temperature will cause the fans to kick up.

Glad to hear things are working well for you! I wondered when you were gonna share your experience.
Adam, just wondering why you went with victron instead of the 18K when replacing your 2 6500s. I have the 2 6500s and am concerned. Jess at SS just confirmed there were reliability issues with them, (the reason for the special offer to replace with the 18k is obvious). My opinion is if they had so many problems there should have been a recall!

Adam, just wondering why you went with victron instead of the 18K when replacing your 2 6500s. I have the 2 6500s and am concerned. Jess at SS just confirmed there were reliability issues with them, (the reason for the special offer to replace with the 18k is obvious). My opinion is if they had so many problems there should have been a recall!
No worries. The biggest reason was because I was sent the Victron system for review and no one sent me an 18kPV to review 😁.
I was looking for a replacement and just happened to be contacted about that system. I was getting tired of all the little glitchy issues with the 6500s.

Keep in mind their upgrade program you can get a discount towards an 18kPV or a 6000XP.

No worries. The biggest reason was because I was sent the Victron system for review and no one sent me an 18kPV to review 😁.
I was looking for a replacement and just happened to be contacted about that system. I was getting tired of all the little glitchy issues with the 6500s.

Keep in mind their upgrade program you can get a discount towards an 18kPV or a 6000XP.
Yeah I saw that and I am having those glitchy issues. See if I can sort it out. Thanks

Good to know it’s mostly a positive experience. I was reading through some older reviews that seemed questionable, but it seems like the latest ones are positive. I’ve had some nudge towards a Sol-Ark because some were saying the 18k was a clone with less support, but.. apparently Sol-Ark are sourced from DEYE in China anyways. I like the 200 amp pass through and features for the price. Had considered two 6000xp, yet it seems like the 18kpv is a workhorse for a whole house.

I do have a few questions about it. Considering around 3200 to 4800 watts of panels, and most of my appliances are gas with the exception of the 220 electric oven on a 50 amp breaker. Have a 5-ton AC compressor. Currently use 10KW per day on average.

1) considering PHEV charging, like a Hyundai with 5kw charge.. do you think the 18kpv with one PowerPro battery is enough to charge in the evening (or during the day with full solar) when there are no other appliances or AC being used?

2) about the 200 amp bypass.. if the 18k goes down, can it still bypass that 200 amps through.. is there a manual toggle switch In the unit to allow that? Or should I plan on an external 200 amp MTS? Oof those are expensive!

Back