diy solar

diy solar

Disconnect inverter when not under load

tony95

I have an Epever 24V 2000W inverter that draws 12+ watts on standby. Is there a way to automatically disconnect or power down the inverter when the battery is below a certain level. I don't even see an automatic shutdown voltage in the spec sheet so I am not sure how to control the inverter. If my appliances run the battery down and then there is no sun for a couple of days will the battery just drain until the BMS shuts it off? Seem like there has to be a way to control the inverter based on battery level but I don't see a way. This does have a RS485 port, but I am not sure I can power on off with it? What about a some kind of relay, I have seen it mentioned but not sure how it would work.

The title of your post and the question in the 2nd sentence of your post are two very different things. Are you looking for a solution to both?

Post a link to your inverter. Perhaps the manual has info about setting a low voltage disconnect.

The title of your post and the question in the 2nd sentence of your post are two very different things. Are you looking for a solution to both?

Post a link to your inverter. Perhaps the manual has info about setting a low voltage disconnect.
Sorry, My thoughts kind of evolved as I was writing this. My first thought was if I used an ATS then just disconnecting the inverter after the switch would work, but ignore that because I would still need a way to control the switch based on battery level. If I am able to power down the inverter based on battery level then the ATS will take care of itself. It's the IP2000-21, see link to datasheet.

There is windows software for controlling the inverter via RS485 under Inverter(NPower&IPower) V1.1 – Windows .zip

I opened the software and it looks like this is how it is configured. There is an On Off and Control Protect Voltage setting with Recovery settings. I'll have to get a cable before I can even attempt to connect to it. I am also going to get a RS485 WIFI module. I should be able to set the inverter to shut down early enough that the battery never gets a chance to drain lower than it should.

Attachments

• invert.JPG
    invert.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 13
In my camp van. BMS shuts down battery at 10V.
Programmable relay #1 shuts all but control circuits at 11 Vdc. The BMS should never trip on low voltage except in a true emergency.
Programed ac relay #2 shuts inverter ac loads at 11.5 Vdc before the inverter dc cuts.
Relay #2 also shuts off furnace thermostat.
Inverter doesn't shut down under load. Furnace fan continues to run so furnace doesn't shut down hot.
Relay #1 and relay #2 must be reset with a manual push button. That is by my choice.
VDC Relay #1 is a low voltage disconnect. VAC Relay #2 is operated by the Battery Monitor voltage trip alarm.

Most 12v simple inverters shutdown and squeal alarm below about 10.5 vdc. They have to make it that low due to typical user battery cabling voltage drop with heavy loads.

You might check the switch on front panel they call AC output ON/OFF. Usually, the front panel switch puts the inverter in very low current draw standby mode. Check the battery line current when you turn the switch off. If you want to add something automatic you might be able to use a relay to tap into this simple switch connections.

Last edited:
In my camp van. BMS shuts down battery at 10V.
Programmable relay #1 shuts all but control circuits at 11 Vdc. The BMS should never trip on low voltage except in a true emergency.
Programed ac relay #2 shuts inverter ac loads at 11.5 Vdc before the inverter dc cuts.
Relay #2 also shuts off furnace thermostat.
Inverter doesn't shut down under load. Furnace fan continues to run so furnace doesn't shut down hot.
Relay #1 and relay #2 must be reset with a manual push button. That is by my choice.
VDC Relay #1 is a low voltage disconnect. VAC Relay #2 is operated by the Battery Monitor voltage trip alarm.
That is very cool, can you share what relay you have installed? How does it know if it is under load or not, this is a big step because disconnecting under can damage the inverter from what I am reading

Back