diy solar

diy solar

Disconnecting battery from aio while running?

Crowz

Solar Wizard
Was pondering a unique problem I'm going to run into with using my mower as my houses solar battery for the time being.

I'm not quite to the point of having enough panels to want to buy batteries to use on my sungold tp6048 just yet. But I have a cub cadet 48volt electric zero turn mower and I'm going to charge it from the solar so why not use it as a battery too :)

This should work wonderfully right up to the point I want to cut the grass with it....

I know with all of the mppt chargers I have for the old house you disconnect the pv from them before you disconnect the battery.

I'm running in hybrid mode on the sungold with it being grid fed and solar providing power during the day as much as possible. I'm guessing with bms units able to disconnect the batteries on lifepo4's if they need to from over charging etc that removing the battery isn't as big of a deal on these?

If not will I need to shut the sungold down each time I want to cut the grass? As in shutdown the inverter, disconnect battery and then power the inverter back up or can I just disconnect the battery and cut the grass with the inverter still running?

I won't be running off the battery just charging it except with during a power outage.

Out of interest are you powering the mower directly off the 48v lifepo4 , are you running cable or taking the battery with you on the mower ?

You should be fine as long as you're running off solar, something tells me I shut both my packs off in SBU mode shortly after commissioning and nothing went wrong.
As other have said, make sure the batteries are full and you're running off solar.
You could be extra cautious and switch to SUB before disconnect.

Out of interest are you powering the mower directly off the 48v lifepo4 , are you running cable or taking the battery with you on the mower ?
The mower has 4 12 volt batteries in series making 48volts. The aio has no battery connected to it at all. I'm going to hook the mower to the aio to charge the mower in place of using the mowers normal ac charger.

You should be fine as long as you're running off solar, something tells me I shut both my packs off in SBU mode shortly after commissioning and nothing went wrong.
As other have said, make sure the batteries are full and you're running off solar.
You could be extra cautious and switch to SUB before disconnect.
I wish I already had at least 1 48volt battery on the sungold before even using the mower so it would be 100% simple.

The mower has 4 12 volt batteries in series making 48volts. The aio has no battery connected to it at all. I'm going to hook the mower to the aio to charge the mower in place of using the mowers normal ac charger.

Oh I see , good plan , sounds viable

I'd just turn it all off before messing with it , surely it's not a huge inconvenience to turn it off and back on again ?

Its battery-less now. So I know it can without the battery just fine. What I don't know is if I can safely disconnect the battery without shutting it down.
Then yes, you can pull the batteries while it's running.
As long as it isn't charging or discharging heavily at the moment. And in SUB mode.

I had my cells go out of balance lately after running the battery down before I hooked up PV to the LV6548's. I had charging voltage set a little too high for the imbalance, the Batrium couldn't burn off the excess on the top runner cells.

According to Solar Assistant, the Batrium tripped critical disconect at full sun. Only things on in the house were baseloads. Adjusted the bulk charge setting after reconnecting and everything is working just fine.

Back