diy solar

diy solar

Disconnects or Circuit Breakers for inverter, DC converter, charger?

flammafeuer

There more I assembly up my Aolithium test setup (before I send it to its off-grid location), the more I want disconnects or breakers in place so that I can rewire things without shutting down everything. Right now, I just have a disconnect between the battery and a bus bar. Everything else is attached to that bus bar through fusing. If I want to re-wire the inverter or move it around, I need to disconnect the battery. But, maybe I want the battery solar charging while I fool around with the inverter and the 48v-12v DC converter.

I already have fuses in place for everything. Should I just look into more 48V disconnects (one for inverter input, one for DC converter input), or are there advantages to circuit breakers in this kind of setup?

Final location that would be WAY to many disconnects thus just asking for future trouble.

From what you said I'm guessing all of this is just for the testing right now and in that case the disconnects would be ideal on everything like you mentioned. That way you can swap parts in and out safely.

The Midnite Solar DC breakers that are readily available can be used between your positive bus bar and the inverter. You'd be able to use that as a disconnect and over current protection.

Final location that would be WAY to many disconnects thus just asking for future trouble.

From what you said I'm guessing all of this is just for the testing right now and in that case the disconnects would be ideal on everything like you mentioned. That way you can swap parts in and out safely.
Ok, I'm hearing, I think, that you think that adding in disconnects adds in potential problems, and I guess I could see that.

Back