diy solar

diy solar

Discussion on the 2424lv-pip all-in-one Controller option #1 settings

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
What setting to choose in Option #1 – controller 2424lv

With respect to the MTTP PIP-2424lv-MSD all-in-one controller/inverter there are three settings in Option #1 (Output source priority) – SOL, UE1, and 56U. I am not going to discuss UE1 as it relates to Solar and Battery to supply energy to the load (my case my house) only if Utility Grid goes down/out.

Option #1 set for 01_56U:
So, what is the difference in operation/function between SOL and 56U? The only difference is that in the 56U setting, the power source to the load alternates between the Grid and the battery(s) after the sun goes down and your Solar panels are no longer connected to the controller.

What happens is the controller monitors the battery voltage and when the battery voltage drops to the low voltage warning point or what you set in option/program #12 will the controller switch to the grid. At that point, the grid will supply power to the load and at the same time recharge the battery(s).

When the battery(s) get fully charged or reach the setting voltage point in option #13 will the controller disconnect the grid and allow the battery(s) to supply the energy to the load. – again, in my case my house.

This cycle continues all night long until the first light in the morning when the solar panels come back online. At this point, the batteries will continue to discharge and if there is enough current from the arrays, the arrays will supplement the battery(s), and both will continue to power the load.

So long as the solar array is online, the Grid will remain offline unless something happens to the array and or battery(s) where they can no longer supply energy/power to the load.

Option #1 set for 01_SOL

In this setting, the only difference is at night when the solar arrays are offline. Instead of the power to the load alternating between the grid and the battery(s), The grid will charge the battery(s) as well as supply the power to the load. Once the battery(s) are fully charged, they will go into the floating state, but will never supply energy to the load while the solar panels are offline. The only time the battery(s) will supply energy at night is if the utility/grid power goes out.

So, which setting do you choose?

For me, it boils down to two questions. Do I have enough battery capacity to run the load all night and what do I want to happen if the grid goes down in the middle of the night? For me, since I do not have enough battery capacity, I chose the “SOL” setting as I what my batteries to be fully charged during the night in case the grid power goes out. This will give me ample time to connect my gas generator to my controller as my present battery(s) only last 60 minutes per charge to run the house but much longer after I go to bed. Once the gas generator is online, it will act like it is the grid. In reality, it is now the grid.

So that is it, do you have enough battery capacity to get you through the night and if not, what state do you want your batteries in. – full charge or run the risk of having no battery capacity if Utility power goes out.

Side Comment:
What current capacity comes out of the battery(s) at night, must be put back into the battery(s) during charging. Therefore you are not saving on Utility cost as the grid is supplying power not only to the load but to recharge the battery(s).

In the daytime, the grid is offline and there is no Utility cost to recharge the batteries. So in my thinking, it is better, if you can afford it, to have a battery that can supply power to the load all night long and let the solar array charge the batteries when the sun comes up.

I hope this discussion was useful to some of you as it was confusing to me at first what the difference was until I did several tests at night testing between the two settings in option #1 – output power source priority.

The grid will charge the battery(s) as well as supply the power to the load. Once the battery(s) are fully charged, they will go into the floating state, but will never supply energy to the load while the solar panels are offline. The only time the battery(s) will supply energy at night is if the utility/grid power goes out.
Based on the Growatt version...
your mixing program 01 (output source priority) with settings from program 14 (charger source priority).

ie there is nothing in program 1 that commands the grid to charge (or not) the battery. (that setting is in 14)

Based on the Growatt version...
your mixing program 01 (output source priority) with settings from program 14 (charger source priority).

ie there is nothing in program 1 that commands the grid to charge (or not) the battery. (that setting is in 14)
yes, there is. I've been testing it for a week. Program one does just what I said it does along with the settings in options 12 and 13. There seem to be three different versions of options for this controller. Your option 1 may be different than what is in my manual and my testing.

Also, I am not using the Growatt version. I bought my controller/inverter directly from MTTP in china. I believe from what I have read in this forum over the past year, the Growatt version is different than the MTTP version of the 2424lv.

Post what version of firmware your running. I stand by my statement that program 1 does not impact what source CHARGES THE BATTERY.

You clearly state
What setting to choose in Option #1 – controller 2424lv

Option #1 set for 01_SOL
In this setting, the only difference is at night when the solar arrays are offline. Instead of the power to the load alternating between the grid and the battery(s), The grid will charge the battery(s) as well as supply the power to the load.

What source charges the battery (in your case "the grid will charge the battery") is set in a different menu option. For growatt its menu 14. Per the manual for the MPP 2424 its menu 16 (still labeled charger source priority)

You can set your "Charger source priority" (whatever menu number that corresponds to) to only solar (OSO) and the grid will never charge the battery no matter what setting you choose for program 1.

1621888518687.png
1621888549955.png
1621888573534.png

My setting for the three option are in blue.
these setting determine how my controller controls what source to use and when.

I don't dissagree that option 1 controls what source is going to power the loads. However chargeing the battery is not considered part of the output load.
Your first post has mixed terminology concerning the charging of the battery which is controlled by a different setting within the configuration and not part of the consideration for what option 1 controls.

Schmism is correct in that the settings you're referring to are what is being used to power the loads. The setting you have SBU is what I use and works most predictably. The Sun comes up - loads are powered by sun, exceed the capacity of solar and battery will fill the gap. Oonce the sun goes down it will continue solely on battery until you reach your setting 12 voltage (The lower battery voltage when you flip all loads to be powered by grid power and recharge (Top off) the battery to setting 13)

I don't dissagree that option 1 controls what source is going to power the loads. However chargeing the battery is not considered part of the output load.
Your first post has mixed terminology concerning the charging of the battery which is controlled by a different setting within the configuration and not part of the consideration for what option 1 controls.
No all I'm saying is that when the Utility is the primary source (in the dead of the night) to power the load (my house) that it also recharges the battery at the same time if the battery needs charging. I didn't say that the battery plus Utility powers the load.

However, during the daylight hours, the solar is the primary source and if there is not enough solar energy to power the load, then the battery helps out.

I apologize for the mixed terminology, I'm a retired Electronic Engineer and I forget the terminology for technicians is quite different and confusing to them. - Sorry!

Just to point out for a comment, last week for seven days from 5:30 am to 12:30 pm, I went outside every half hour and took reading on my controller panel and the configurations display. That is how I discovered that there is a difference in functions between SOL and 56U in "My" option #1. For me, since I'm using two 12v cheap Walmart batteries, it doesn't take long for them to drain to the low voltage warning that I set in option #29

CORRECTION:
Dang, I overlooked option #16, the charger source priority when I did my write-up. Don't get old, as one continues to screw up! I'm using setting "SAN" in option #16. (solar and Utility will charge battery at the same time) I will now have to go back and repeat my testing and play with the options in #16.

Here is option #16 and of course changes my report with respect to what charges what during the day and during the late night after it gets very dark outside.

1621896862765.png

Thank's for the feedback discussion. I always look forwards to them as that is how you really learn something.

Dang, I guess you can't delete or remove a post once it is posted. Even though my system works as in my discussion, it is not entirely correct. I overlooked my setting in option #16, which is important.

Sorry everyone for the confusion!

Back